• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Inter Ratings

One thing I want to mention is the fitness levels of the players...

Siggy did not stop running - same with Dembele.

Holtby looked knackered as did Ade. The latter two have not played many games for us - do we have a training regime that is boosting performance??

Is Holtby a 50 year old alcoholic? He came on near the end, ran about like he had cramp and was utterly knackered by 90 minutes.

Has he got tight hamstrings, or a massive alcohol problem, or is he 50?

Woeful performance and terrible team selection by AVB

442 away at the San Siro when you have a 3-0 lead?! Seriously?!

That is crazy, really strange to give up the midfield at the expense of playing 2 awful strikers.

That is the sort of thing I would expect from Gerry Francis, not AVB.

I was incensed at kick off and only got angrier, really terrible all round.

As if a midfield of Parker and Livermore should ever go up against top quality opposition.

I think we may be taking Cheat$ki's crown of "worst European run ever" so let's hope it ends as well for us as it did for them.

I was very annoyed after we won 3-0 in the first leg, we were coasting and didn't take the last half hour seriously at all, and it cost us massively tonight.[/QUOTE]

Had such a bad feeling about this game all day so didn't watch and had phone turned off. Turned phone on and texts came through with the usual 'typical Spurs' and 'only us'. Watched the extra time and we were all over the shop just encouraging pressure even after getting a goal and knowing they had to score 2. The 1st leg annoyed me too, it was a great result but instead of putting the tie to bed, we strolled around and were playing to the crowds chants of ole. Should have won by 4 or 5 that night and were fortunate to not concede when they really had no right to as we were so in control.

Surely we need to cut Holtby some slack? He's still very young and is comin g to grips with playing for a different club in a different country. We've seen glimpses of what he can do but it's pretty obvious he's now finding the pace of the Premiership too much and is trying too hard.

Give him time. It was the same for Verts when he came, he was excellent to start with but then faded for a while, but is now rediscovering his early form.

If you think about it, most of our current squad have had spells when they've been utter pants and spells when they've been at least half-decent, or in Bale's case utter pants and then a world-beater.

Woeful performance and terrible team selection by AVB

442 away at the San Siro when you have a 3-0 lead?! Seriously?!

That is crazy, really strange to give up the midfield at the expense of playing 2 awful strikers.

That is the sort of thing I would expect from Gerry Francis, not AVB.

I was incensed at kick off and only got angrier, really terrible all round.

As if a midfield of Parker and Livermore should ever go up against top quality opposition.

I think we may be taking Cheat$ki's crown of "worst European run ever" so let's hope it ends as well for us as it did for them.

I was very annoyed after we won 3-0 in the first leg, we were coasting and didn't take the last half hour seriously at all, and it cost us massively tonight.[/QUOTE]

Had such a bad feeling about this game all day so didn't watch and had phone turned off. Turned phone on and texts came through with the usual 'typical Spurs' and 'only us'. Watched the extra time and we were all over the shop just encouraging pressure even after getting a goal and knowing they had to score 2. The 1st leg annoyed me too, it was a great result but instead of putting the tie to bed, we strolled around and were playing to the crowds chants of ole. Should have won by 4 or 5 that night and were fortunate to not concede when they really had no right to as we were so in control.

Agree, thought AVB had a Mike Bassett night, but then again he found out a lot about of the capabilities and limitations of the squad. Just hope that he's learned a lesson that he won't repeat.

Surely we need to cut Holtby some slack? He's still very young and is comin g to grips with playing for a different club in a different country. We've seen glimpses of what he can do but it's pretty obvious he's now finding the pace of the Premiership too much and is trying too hard.

Give him time. It was the same for Verts when he came, he was excellent to start with but then faded for a while, but is now rediscovering his early form.

If you think about it, most of our current squad have had spells when they've been utter pants and spells when they've been at least half-decent, or in Bale's case utter pants and then a world-beater.

agree with that. But can you go from world beater to utter pants -- and then to world class again? Or is Ade doomed to be brick forever.

One thing I want to mention is the fitness levels of the players...

Siggy did not stop running - same with Dembele.

Holtby looked knackered as did Ade. The latter two have not played many games for us - do we have a training regime that is boosting performance??

Agreed. We looked at half pace all night. What a difference from the first leg. There was no energy in our performance at all. No closing down, no tracking back, no running off the ball, no competing for the ball. In fact, little of anything.

Okay, at least the keeper issue is easily solvable because we have one of the best keepers in the world for the high line in Lloris. Even the striker issue is not so hard if we get CL and have enough funds to spring Stefan Jovetic's release clause this summer, which is supposedly 22m (yes yes, we've been waiting for years for ANY striker I know). The fullback issue is pretty bad, but at least defenders tend to be cheaper and Rose and Smith are doing very well on loan so we have some potential competition there.

However, I just can't figure out how to turn us into a real TEAM - you know, a bunch of players that will pass and move for each other in their sleep. The fundamentals that should be second nature to players at this level. When we lost Modric and VdV we didn't just lose two of our best players, we lost creativity and tempo and 140 passes and 5 key passes per game. This season we have been even slower at circulating the ball than the midtable sides we've played. We do not move intelligently, or spot the runs even when they do get made, or thread an incisive first-time ball through often enough; instead, we take on five men and dribble ourselves up blind alleys or shoot into walls. When it comes off, it looks brilliant and we applaud the player for his quality. However, 90% of the time the individual heroics just slows us down or loses the ball. It's not just other teams beating us, it's us beating ourselves because we smother our own opportunities.

Moments of individual quality have helped us win games we probably didn't deserve to - because we engineer chaos and higher-quality, fitter players are better at taking advantage of those moments. The problem is, we can't thrive in the long term by relying on ugly games. To really progress into a CL team we need control, the ability to dictate games; we need less individualists and more team players. We can afford Bale because he is that special; however, we wouldn't be able to afford a team of Bales no matter how special. We need players doing the boring, non-flashy stuff like positioning themselves so they don't even have to tackle and just circulating the ball around quickly to release pressure and control the tempo. We need players moving in bursts both on and off the ball and players who can spot and release them with incisive passes. We need some effing brains and yes, some Spanish midgets around here. :lol:

The frustrating thing is that all of our players show flashes of quality and have some sort of good point - or in fact many good points - and it's just that their not-so-good points combine like a perfect storm to give us sloppy passing and static movement and moments of stupidity at both front and back and disjointed performances in general. Most of them I would be disappointed to see go because I think they could be part of a very good team, just not the whole of one.

Okay, at least the keeper issue is easily solvable because we have one of the best keepers in the world for the high line in Lloris. Even the striker issue is not so hard if we get CL and have enough funds to spring Stefan Jovetic's release clause this summer, which is supposedly 22m (yes yes, we've been waiting for years for ANY striker I know). The fullback issue is pretty bad, but at least defenders tend to be cheaper and Rose and Smith are doing very well on loan so we have some potential competition there.

However, I just can't figure out how to turn us into a real TEAM - you know, a bunch of players that will pass and move for each other in their sleep. The fundamentals that should be second nature to players at this level. When we lost Modric and VdV we didn't just lose two of our best players, we lost creativity and tempo and 140 passes and 5 key passes per game. This season we have been even slower at circulating the ball than the midtable sides we've played. We do not move intelligently, or spot the runs even when they do get made, or thread an incisive first-time ball through often enough; instead, we take on five men and dribble ourselves up blind alleys or shoot into walls. When it comes off, it looks brilliant and we applaud the player for his quality. However, 90% of the time the individual heroics just slows us down or loses the ball. It's not just other teams beating us, it's us beating ourselves because we smother our own opportunities.

Moments of individual quality have helped us win games we probably didn't deserve to - because we engineer chaos and higher-quality, fitter players are better at taking advantage of those moments. The problem is, we can't thrive in the long term by relying on ugly games. To really progress into a CL team we need control, the ability to dictate games; we need less individualists and more team players. We can afford Bale because he is that special; however, we wouldn't be able to afford a team of Bales no matter how special. We need players doing the boring, non-flashy stuff like positioning themselves so they don't even have to tackle and just circulating the ball around quickly to release pressure and control the tempo. We need players moving in bursts both on and off the ball and players who can spot and release them with incisive passes. We need some effing brains and yes, some Spanish midgets around here. :lol:

The frustrating thing is that all of our players show flashes of quality and have some sort of good point - or in fact many good points - and it's just that their not-so-good points combine like a perfect storm to give us sloppy passing and static movement and moments of stupidity at both front and back and disjointed performances in general. Most of them I would be disappointed to see go because I think they could be part of a very good team, just not the whole of one.

You make a lot of good points, but should never say that we can't be a CL team whilst playing crap - do you not remember who won it last year

And yes, we would love a team of Gareth Bale's thankyou!

:) I know what you mean, but I think there is a very good reason Madrid's team of Galacticos were not that impressive despite some incredible names there. I dunno what you'd call it - Redknapp likes to say "balance", Mourinho "dynamics", Benitez "system", and I guess I would say "unity" and "wholeness" - but all in all there is some hard-to-quantify emergent quality that needs to arise from a group of individuals to be a great team. You can't all be strong in flavor.

Chelsea are not a CL team, if you check where they are right now :lol: Nor did they finish top four last season. I think you can go pretty far in the cups with an unbalanced side, but the league will always find you out.

Honourable mention for Sigurdsson I thought, tidy passing, good set pieces and commendable work rate.

On the other side of the spectrum, I thought Defoe and Livermore were absolutely atrocious. Nightmareish performance from both.

Villas-Boas will have to take some to to reflect on his choices today. Surely he had to know in beforehand that Defoe and Ade are both borderline passengers and that playing both is giving away valuable possession in midfield.

Is Holtby a 50 year old alcoholic? He came on near the end, ran about like he had cramp and was utterly knackered by 90 minutes.

Has he got tight hamstrings, or a massive alcohol problem, or is he 50?

I was asking my mate similar questions. He has certainly regressed from his early spell, and indeed looks a little, err, bigger? I'm not sure. I think he is a player who needs some TLC and patience because he will be a fine one for us. Also feel that he relies on quick movement and quick passing, which is not going to happen with Parker next to him.

Put simply? It is why AVB wanted Moutinho, Will.i.am and a top class striker. He knows.

I love this post.

Mostly because of the ridiculous nature of it. Wait until two games after a twelve game unbeaten streak that sees us third in the table and then bash the squad/manager/chairman. We're obviously not good enough. The last two games have shown us what the twelve before them for some reason couldn't.

Or perhaps we should rate the team over the season instead of just after the worst game we've played.

Last edited:
I think Ade deserves a bit more credit than he is given here. Certainly from the start of the second half and onwards he did fairly well. He made some good runs, the one early in the second half when he set up a chance for Jan was outstanding. He also kept the ball up quite well for us, and of course, he got the all important goal. I thought it was an encouraging performance from compared to his recent performances.

Dembele also had a decent game overall, but the fact that he was at least partly to blame for the two first goals is a bit negative. Sigurdsson also worked tiredlessly and was fairly tidy on the ball.

I really feel for Siggy. He is doing very well out on the left but clearly his favoured position is ACM. Bale is clearly another beast. I'd like for Bale and Siggy and Lennon to be able to interchange during games

Honourable mention for Sigurdsson I thought, tidy passing, good set pieces and commendable work rate.

I only saw the first 90 but I'd agree. Not absolutely everything came off for him but he did well, happy to see him get a run in the team.

The other two I think who played well would be Verts, who still looked very composed to me, and Dembele had good patches, but he should most certainly never play on the right again, he's a rolls royce, which is sound in CM but it doesn't quite work for out wide, especially as Walker needs all the help he can get at the moment.

Not really sure what was going through AVB's mind with the team selection, we were almost full strength (minus Bale) so we should have been able to put a better performance in then that but changing the shape was a terrible idea, hopefully we'll learn and move on.

Sig played well gotta say and has impressed me since the spammers game. He does lack pace therefore not suited to the left as never felt he would get passed anyone once he got the ball.

Dembele was outstanding. He fudged up defensively today but the guy is just too fudging good. He was the only one today where when he got the ball I was confident that he wouldnt lose it. The guy can certainly keep the ball and his ball retention is superb.

AVB fudged up with the personnel and the tactics as with that personnel we shouldnt have played 442.

I dont want to focus on the negatives as we all know what the are but Livermore was astonishingly bad and Gallas looked out of his depth a bit. Our defensive high line was breached far far too easily and Vert couldnt cover for the other three in that back four.

I really feel for Siggy. He is doing very well out on the left but clearly his favoured position is ACM. Bale is clearly another beast. I'd like for Bale and Siggy and Lennon to be able to interchange during games

For all his possession - and he had loads - how many times did Siggy even try to get to the byline? Okay Inter always had that option covered but it got to a point where pretty much all our attacks down the left stalled because of his unwillingness to take on their RB. I recall one decent shot on goal first half but that was only after he cut back into the middle.

In previous games Siggy has managed to put in some decent crosses from the left but tonight's performance suggests you're right, left mid is not his best position.

Back