• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Income from TV rights

It will be interesting if any bid from Al Jazeera would pass a fit and proper means test, considering they have made there name of the back of showing attrocities around the globe, and often a mouth piece for the worlds qunts.

I can assure the PL that should they win ANY package I shall definatley refrain from purchasing. Besides, I'd imagine it would be Emirates Marketing Project every week on it.

I find them to be an excellent news service, probably the best around at the moment. They don't have as much of an agenda as the other major corporations, excellent broadcasters and newscasters across all regions and will give both parties in a story equal footing.

I suspect the fact that it starts with Al and is based in the Middle East gives it a bad name. If you're going to start calling for fit and proper tests, then SKY would be on my hitlist a million fudging times over Al Jazeera.

I would argue very strongly against that.

The contracts already have enshrined within them amounts which filter down throughout the league structure, right down to grassroots. The FAPL don't have to do that, it's their choice.

We have to remember, that it's the product of the Premier League which brings this money in - not lower league football. Therefore, to maintain the ability to be able to filter money down through the league structure, it's important that you don't compromise the quality of the product. Obviously, to adopt your suggestion - 33% of all revenue - would compromise quality, as it would impinge on the league's strength, relative to its European peers.

There's always been this common misconception that the Football League and leagues below it are, or should be considered as, some sort of charity case. I don't agree with that view. It's up to Football League management to change the nature and appeal of their product, not become reliant on the strength of the Premier League. The reality, is that there isn't sufficient interest in lower league football, so why claim otherwise and pretend that there is? It's a romantic view; misty-eyed nonsense, but I'd rather not have to fund that, thank you very much.

Notwithstanding Liverpool's corporate greed, collective bargaining works very well for the FAPL and I don't see any need to change it or to align ourselves with the La Liga model, which favours 'the rich getting richer'. Collective bargaining respects that the strength of the product is the competition, not the competitors themselves - and I think, in this day and age, is a very commendable business model.

I've no doubt you would. The third of TV revenue thing was a bit of a throwaway remark on my part, and then again, it wasn't. My view is that the misty-eyed nonsense belongs to those who think elite leagues can sustain themselves without their domestic grass-roots football remaining in rude health. Top players aren't yet grown from seed in a greenhouse in Carrington or Cobham, even if it looks as though they must be doing that in Barcelona and places.

I've no doubt you would. The third of TV revenue thing was a bit of a throwaway remark on my part, and then again, it wasn't. My view is that the misty-eyed nonsense belongs to those who think elite leagues can sustain themselves without their domestic grass-roots football remaining in rude health. Top players aren't yet grown from seed in a greenhouse in Carrington or Cobham, even if it looks as though they must be doing that in Barcelona and places.

Okay, it's a little difficult to have a conversation with someone who can't even make their own mind up.

It will be interesting if any bid from Al Jazeera would pass a fit and proper means test, considering they have made there name of the back of showing attrocities around the globe, and often a mouth piece for the worlds qunts.

I can assure the PL that should they win ANY package I shall definatley refrain from purchasing. Besides, I'd imagine it would be Emirates Marketing Project every week on it.

Doesn't Gary Lineker work for Al Jazeera?

I find them to be an excellent news service, probably the best around at the moment. They don't have as much of an agenda as the other major corporations, excellent broadcasters and newscasters across all regions and will give both parties in a story equal footing.

I suspect the fact that it starts with Al and is based in the Middle East gives it a bad name. If you're going to start calling for fit and proper tests, then SKY would be on my hitlist a million fudging times over Al Jazeera.

Agree. Al Jazeera's a more than decent news outlet, generally a lot more reliable than Sky, Fox News and their ilk when it comes to decent, relatively unbiased coverage. There are many more odious broadcasters I would consider worse holders of the PL rights than Al Jazeera.

Okay, it's a little difficult to have a conversation with someone who can't even make their own mind up.

My mind is quite made up, thanks; it was a throwaway remark in the sense I don't think it'd ever actually happen, but the life is being sucked out of the game by the runaway expansion and greed at the top of the pyramid and that's ultimately unsustainable in my view.

Back