• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

IMAC - Using the same music on Itunes for 2 or more users - help please

Dudes,

Is anyone a guru with using Imacs and Iphones?

Basically, I want to have 2 or more users on my IMAC and be able to share the same music on Itunes. I have googled this and tried all of the methods they recommend but to no avail. I am using 2 apple ID's, 1 for the main user on my Imac with the main Itunes library and 1 other user (currently with no Itunes music).

Is this actually possible?

I need to have 2 different users as when I plug in an Iphone on my main Imac user it syncs that phone and if I then put in another phone it tries to sync that phone using the other phones details and its a massive headfcuk.

I have tried this but it does not not work:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1203

Will I need to obtain a hard drive and transfer the music that way?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers
GGG

I'd be interested to know what didn't work about that suggestion as putting everything in a shared area should work.

There's also "home sharing" but that requires you to use the same apple id I think. Plus I've never tried to share music from one account to another on the same mac.

There shouldn't be any reason why you would need to get additional storage to move the music between accounts.

nope, that's still in your home folder, I'd stick it on the root of Macintosh HD, you might need to amend the permissions on the folder afterwards as well

~/Public and /Users/Shared are both suggested in the support doc. Either would do.

You can get there from the "Go to Folder" option from the Finder's Go menu (I think - not in front of a Mac at the moment). When you do that it gives you a dialog for you to enter the path and then opens a new Finder window for that folder. Put your iTunes stuff in there and it should be accessible by the other account.

Then follow the rest of the instructions from the support doc.

You can set your music folder to whatever you want so just create a folder to put the music in and tell both accounts to use it. No?

You can set your music folder to whatever you want so just create a folder to put the music in and tell both accounts to use it. No?

Ive done this, sort of. I have a folder with the music libary in, I go to its properties and I unlock it allowing it to be shared, and also add permissions for the other user. Its then that I dont know what to do. I go to the user with no music and I try and import the music or find the folder and its not there.

I will try the above this weekend and see what happens.

This might be an issue with permissions to use the music, if you purchased it through itunes under a certain apple id and then try and load it under a different apple id it wont recognise it as a purchased item and think it's dodgy. You can authorise itunes on both profiles for the same apple id by going to store and then "authorise this computer"

Might work, might not, I don't purchase stuff through itunes so who knows.

Ive tried it all again and when logging onto the other user the files aren't there. Its just not working

Ive shared the folders, put it in another folder and named it but just can't find the folder. ****ing awful instructions from apple

Back