• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

I remember Lamela coming on against Stoke I think it was and Adebayor moaning at him everytime he got the ball.

this is true

i dont know about everytime but there was a situation where he could have scored or passed the ball na dhe fluffed his lines. ade let him have it badly....lamela couldnt look ade in the eye

i thought that was pretty ****ty of Ade to be honest. real low and bully like

this is true

i dont know about everytime but there was a situation where he could have scored or passed the ball na dhe fluffed his lines. ade let him have it badly....lamela couldnt look ade in the eye

I remember that and thought the same thing

When have Ade and Lamela been on the pitch at the same time? Ade didn't play until TS took over and Lamela has been injured or benched for most of Tim's reign so far hasn't he?

I think Lamela is suffering from a case of "becoming better with each game he doesn't play-itus" on this forum.

I want it to work out for the kid but I think a lot of people would have a different opinion about him if we didn't spend 30m on him and there weren't a few shiny as **** highlight vids of him on youtube

You think that is unreasonable then?

You think that is unreasonable then?

£30m is invested not for what you see as the players true value the minute he signs but the value you anticipate he will potentially reach and approximate how much his resale value will be. Jordan Henderson could be an example, no idea why he popped in my head but he was signed for £20 odd million wasn't he? Don't think anyone at Liverpool believed he was worth that as the player he was, but saw some potential and the fact he was young and could develop into a very good player.

The same with Lamela, Spurs have assessed that he is a massive talent which we can all see. Put him on a long contract and 3 years or so into that contract reckon he would be worth in excess of £30m. Right now he obviously isn't worth £30m but you just know this boy will be a big player, and at the very latest will see this next season although I anticipate some more consistent performances towards the back end of this season....

£30m is invested not for what you see as the players true value the minute he signs but the value you anticipate he will potentially reach and approximate how much his resale value will be. Jordan Henderson could be an example, no idea why he popped in my head but he was signed for £20 odd million wasn't he? Don't think anyone at Liverpool believed he was worth that as the player he was, but saw some potential and the fact he was young and could develop into a very good player.

The same with Lamela, Spurs have assessed that he is a massive talent which we can all see. Put him on a long contract and 3 years or so into that contract reckon he would be worth in excess of £30m. Right now he obviously isn't worth £30m but you just know this boy will be a big player, and at the very latest will see this next season although I anticipate some more consistent performances towards the back end of this season....

I'm not really disputing any of that ... well, actually I do kind of dispute that we signed him believing he can go on to become a £30m+ player as I believe that figure isn't far off what we value him at right now but that's for another day. SP1 seems to be suggesting that it's unreasonable that Spurs fans would treat a player of such value differently to any other player, I mean come on, it's entirely logical that a fan would want to see their record signing given say oh I don't know, maybe two whole games in a row to show what he can do, if what is happening with Lamela right now isn't all going as planned(we have no idea as outsiders, we can only hope) then I have no idea how Spurs can afford to do what they're currently doing with Lamela. I really am banging my head against the wall sometimes as this kid really hasn't played much at all but some fans on here post as though he's been playing non-stop and has totally flopped, I could kind of understand SP1's point if that was the case but even then you need to persevere with players you've invested large amounts into(hello Roberto Soldado) over ones you haven't, even if they're currently outperforming them.

Like I said, I hope that behind the scenes everything is great and this was always the plan.

Will give us alot more protection defending aswell as having goal scorers in behind the striker. Both Eriksen and Lamela were both regular goal scorers for their old teams and apparently according to on here are strongest playing behind the striker so why not play them both there? Gotta be better then shoot on sight Townsend and no end product Lennon?

I'm not really disputing any of that ... well, actually I do kind of dispute that we signed him believing he can go on to become a £30m+ player as I believe that figure isn't far off what we value him at right now but that's for another day. SP1 seems to be suggesting that it's unreasonable that Spurs fans would treat a player of such value differently to any other player, I mean come on, it's entirely logical that a fan would want to see their record signing given say oh I don't know, maybe two whole games in a row to show what he can do, if what is happening with Lamela right now isn't all going as planned(we have no idea as outsiders, we can only hope) then I have no idea how Spurs can afford to do what they're currently doing with Lamela. I really am banging my head against the wall sometimes as this kid really hasn't played much at all but some fans on here post as though he's been playing non-stop and has totally flopped, I could kind of understand SP1's point if that was the case but even then you need to persevere with players you've invested large amounts into(hello Roberto Soldado) over ones you haven't, even if they're currently outperforming them.

Like I said, I hope that behind the scenes everything is great and this was always the plan.

Yeah I agree with all you say.

I do think it was always the plan to bed him in the Europa and probably around now really start to give him a proper go in the PL. I do think the time has come to give him an extended run although dropping one of Ade/Soldado seems harsh and questionable when they appear to be developing a promising partnership.

Some fans need to remember there are so many factors outside of a football pitch for footballers, they aren't robots. If players are having issues off the field or even on the training ground they aren't going to perform on the pitch, you can't just turn it on like that. I've no doubt Sherwood recognises what a talent he is and will play consistently when the time is right....

this is true

I have deep respect for you africanspur and I know by reading your posts throughout the years that you have deep knowledge of football but isn´t this a bit biased?

Surely sometime you must have played football. This happens all the time. Jesus, have you seen Defoe on some occasions, goes completely mental if not passed the ball. I would not read much into this..

It happens in football with these prima donas that generally tend to be strikers. Robbie Keane used to have a good moan when people didn't get the ball to him and Ade and Defoe had a little bicker in the Palace game. Twice in the Stoke game Lamela got moaned at for nothing at all and then when he finds himself in space Ade spoons a shot instead of playing him in. I expect it to happen with children/adolescents but not adults.

Will give us alot more protection defending aswell as having goal scorers in behind the striker. Both Eriksen and Lamela were both regular goal scorers for their old teams and apparently according to on here are strongest playing behind the striker so why not play them both there? Gotta be better then shoot on sight Townsend and no end product Lennon?

you rubbish lennon but he's constantly in a winning team stretching defenses, scoring goals , assisting.....all recently

why change something thats working?

and lamela scored goals in an attacking role...eriksen socred lots ? i wasnt aware..i havent seen much of him outside CL games, international and games for us...so maybe he did score loads but i was under the impression he was much more a play maker than you suggest mate

who knows your formation might work but i see it both as being narrow.....
no wing play proper,
unable to stretch the opposition and make room for central players
causing congestion,
playing an out of form player as one of the creative lynchpins for the entire team
bad delivery system and supply line to those creative players or even to the overalpping full backs (talking about the mids you chose)

looks a real stiff and rigid type formation requiring suprememly confident and technical players of the highest composure in extremely competitive premier league matches

personally i wouldnt go for it but i respect you have a strong opinion on the matter

I have deep respect for you africanspur and I know by reading your posts throughout the years that you have deep knowledge of football but isn´t this a bit biased?

Surely sometime you must have played football. This happens all the time. Jesus, have you seen Defoe on some occasions, goes completely mental if not passed the ball. I would not read much into this..

really?

i dont know, i've seen people moan but there was something about that moan that just looked like unecessary harrasment on ade's part

it didnt feel like a simple "you should have passed it to me" it felt more like "you ****ing stupid macaron, what the **** are you doing here? you useless piece of ****...sigh *roll your eye, kiss the teeth, turn you back on the offender and give a disparaging dismissive way*....

okay maybe not as bad LOL

but your right possibly best not to read into it, but that one did feel really off to me

you rubbish lennon but he's constantly in a winning team stretching defenses, scoring goals , assisting.....all recently

why change something thats working?

and lamela scored goals in an attacking role...eriksen socred lots ? i wasnt aware..i havent seen much of him outside CL games, international and games for us...so maybe he did score loads but i was under the impression he was much more a play maker than you suggest mate

who knows your formation might work but i see it both as being narrow.....
no wing play proper,
unable to stretch the opposition and make room for central players
causing congestion,
playing an out of form player as one of the creative lynchpins for the entire team
bad delivery system and supply line to those creative players or even to the overalpping full backs (talking about the mids you chose)

looks a real stiff and rigid type formation requiring suprememly confident and technical players of the highest composure in extremely competitive premier league matches

personally i wouldnt go for it but i respect you have a strong opinion on the matter

I did not say they scored lots, i said regularly. Also like most formations players will not stay in that position, sometimes they will drift wide and will also see 1 up with the striker and one behind. We will also see the wing backs give us that width when needed. I didn't say the formation would be amazing it was just a suggestion and something i would like to see.

They both started against Southampton.

Well why shouldnt we get excited about our record signing, £30m is massive for us and we all want to see him play and what he can do. I don't see whats wrong with that.

Okay, I don't really remember Ade having a go at Lamela during that game but iirc my stream was pretty bad for that one.

It's not wrong to be excited about a player and to hope that he succeeds, but calls for Ade (someone who's doing well) to be dropped for Lamela (someone who hasn't done well) just don't make any sense for me.

Lamela hasn't been shunned and victimized by the mean old managers of Spurs, he's had 17 appearances so far and hasn't really hit the ground running. People seem to think that he deserves to start and needs playing time but he's got to earn the chances by impressing in training and also impressing when given time on the pitch. If we persist with and under-performing kid game in game out because he needs to play his way in to form it'll affect our game and will annoy other players.

It's not that I don't rate him, I think he's shown a good footballing brain with the passes that he has attempted and shows flashes of really neat footwork on occasion but he needs to show consistency to earn his place, he doesn't deserve it because of the fact he cost 30m, he needs to earn it by playing the way he did that convinced us to spend 30m with the chances he gets.

He's not been played non stop but he also hasn't been cast out in to the wind with no way back, he just hasn't performed well and at this level we can't afford to carry players that aren't performing.

I think my post above answers some of your points, as I said he has made 17 appearances so far for us, yes the majority of those will be substitute appearances but if he expected anything different from the way he has been playing then he's not the brightest.

I want to see him achieve the level that someone who is worth 30m is at, but I think for him to do this he needs to have a bit more arrogance about him. So I can't recall Ade having unfair pops at him but even just the way he stands on the pitch, he looks a little uneasy and not the most confident, did he have that kind of appearance whilst doing so well for Roma anyone?

For him playing week in week out might be the best way to gain this arrogance that he needs but if there are other players in his position performing better than him then it's not justifiable to select him, especially on the basis that he was purchased for more, using that logic are people annoyed that Bentaleb is being selected over Capoue?! What Bentaleb is doing, is reaping the benefits of impressing the coach.

really?

i dont know, i've seen people moan but there was something about that moan that just looked like unecessary harrasment on ade's part

it didnt feel like a simple "you should have passed it to me" it felt more like "you ****ing stupid macaron, what the **** are you doing here? you useless piece of ****...sigh *roll your eye, kiss the teeth, turn you back on the offender and give a disparaging dismissive way*....

okay maybe not as bad LOL

but your right possibly best not to read into it, but that one did feel really off to me

I completely agree with you. I saw that moment too and it made my heart sink... for a young player like Lamela, feeling alienated, out-of-place and a bit lost, I can imagine it was quite stressful. Not saying it was the end of the world or anything, but it certainly wasn't helpful in any way. And right now, the entire team should be trying to help one another.

He's not been played non stop but he also hasn't been cast out in to the wind with no way back, he just hasn't performed well and at this level we can't afford to carry players that aren't performing.

I think my post above answers some of your points, as I said he has made 17 appearances so far for us, yes the majority of those will be substitute appearances but if he expected anything different from the way he has been playing then he's not the brightest.

I want to see him achieve the level that someone who is worth 30m is at, but I think for him to do this he needs to have a bit more arrogance about him. So I can't recall Ade having unfair pops at him but even just the way he stands on the pitch, he looks a little uneasy and not the most confident, did he have that kind of appearance whilst doing so well for Roma anyone?

For him playing week in week out might be the best way to gain this arrogance that he needs but if there are other players in his position performing better than him then it's not justifiable to select him, especially on the basis that he was purchased for more, using that logic are people annoyed that Bentaleb is being selected over Capoue?! What Bentaleb is doing, is reaping the benefits of impressing the coach.

I think it would be justifiable to select him over others who are currently performing well because Lamela can perform at a higher level than them, the club can't afford not to, you may not like it but Lamela is a higher priority player than most of the others in this squad. You say 17 appearances, I say three league starts. Our record signing has yet to start a league match at home or make consecutive starts, it's the middle of January ffs ... and I also don't agree with the insinuation that he's been a complete dud when he has played either, even if that were true, it's not like Soldado, Paulinho, Chadli, Capoue etc have been tearing it up, they've been a mixed bag of mediocre and average, yet they've all played a lot more than Lamela and it seems it's only he who's getting this dud tag.

Last edited:

i say leave lamela out of ade's sight and keep him playing in the reserves. Ade will eventually work himself out of the first eleven, then we drop him immediately and start lamela on a string of matches with soldado. everybody's happy.

I think it would be justifiable to select him over others who are currently performing well because Lamela can perform at a higher level than them, the club can't afford not to, you may not like it but Lamela is a higher priority player than most of the others in this squad. You say 17 appearances, I say three league starts. Our record signing has yet to start a league match at home or make consecutive starts, it's the middle of January ffs ... and I also don't agree with the insinuation that he's been a complete dud when he has played either, even if that were true, it's not like Soldado, Paulinho, Chadli, Capoue etc have been tearing it up, they've been a mixed bag of mediocre and average, yet they've all played a lot more than Lamela and it seems it's only he who's getting this dud tag.

spursspinter spot on imo

also that is incorrect Lamela has played more minutes than Chadli and Capoue

You say Lamela can perform at a higher level than others but what proof do we have of that? He played in a much different league and team with Roma there is absolutely no guarantee he will perform better than the players we have in the team right now. That is just pure speculation, in addition to everything we have actually seen of him hasn't pointed to that.

Last edited:

i say leave lamela out of ade's sight and keep him playing in the reserves. Ade will eventually work himself out of the first eleven, then we drop him immediately and start lamela on a string of matches with soldado. everybody's happy.

I see your point, though Adebayor is simply stepping into "team leader" mode here, maybe with Sherwood's prompting. Adebayor was done at Spurs until Sherwood was appointed. I suspect that TS is micromanaging Adebayor, and using his status with the new intake to manage them through Ade. If so, it seems to working with Soldado and Erikson. The former is, apparently, loving playing with Ade while Erikson's recent purplish patch mirrors Ade's return to the starting XI.

Back