• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Re: Official - Lamela

Why are people now saying that Lamela should play up front? Has he ever actually played in that position?

From what I've heard he played out wide for Roma, and played in the number 10 role in Argentina, so why should he now suddenly play up front for us?

Ha! I've just posted that exact thing.

I heard an interview with Paddy Agnew this morning in which he said he had played up front although Romas big plan was for him too drop deeper once Totti retired.

I agree fully with you on AVB on this topic. Makes absolutely no sense to give him his first start away to City and then to drop him. It continues to me to look like a part of a backroom argument being brought into the player selection as if AVB wanted to show that he's right not to pick Lamela (and Ade) by playing them in arguably the toughest game of the season only.

Have to agree again. :)

I think Lamela has been handled terribly if I'm being honest and I don't believe there's one hard and fast rule for all. Lamela cost £26m, he's young, new to the league, new to the country, new to everything, you can't just tell him to get to the back of the line if he doesn't put in a match-winning performance, people won't like it but you can't treat a £26m asset the same way you treat those who cost relatively small amounts. He needs to be played into form and comfort, you get that over a run of games, not 20 minutes here and there at the end of a game. He put in a man of the match performance in the Europa, didn't start the next game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, didn't even get on as a sub and then has to wait two weeks before he then gets a start ... away to Emirates Marketing Project where we were humilated, that was diabolical management all-round from AVB. He's basically being made to look like a complete joke and what's worse is that some fans are even beginning to get on his back for it.

In general i agree with you, especially the sentences in bold.
We battered Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home and he was confident and flying and could have unlocked the door in a game which we lost.
To then play him away to City of all games was naive at best and suicidal madness at worst.

Last edited:

Going by what we have seen so far of the lad, the only way I can see him really playing is alongside a singular striker. I don't see a place for him in the wonky right now. For me I'd like to see:

--------Soldado/Ade----------
------------------Lamela-----
----------Paulinho------------
Townsend--------------------
-----------Eriksen----Walker--
Rose-------Sandro------------
------Verts--------Dawson----

Give Paulinho and Eriksen the chance to move around and interchange with one another as well as Lamela whilst Townsend keeps the width. I reckon we could see a lot from that line up

Last edited:

We still have Capoue available. One is a French senior international, the other has one U19 cap. There's more to it than simply 'knowing Bentaleb better' for me.

But Capoue has had little game time,was just back from injury and hasn't shown hardly anything to warrant selection. Simple meritocracy in place.
Anyway, this is the Lamela thread.

Last edited:

So starting Lamela at Emirates Marketing Project was poor choice because it was a tough match, yet playing him in Europa it doesn't help him because of poor competition?

I've never heard more excuses for a Spurs player ever!

So starting Lamela at Emirates Marketing Project was poor choice because it was a tough match, yet playing him in Europa it doesn't help him because of poor competition?

There was a middle ground. After he had a reasonably good game in Europe, AVB should have started him in the next game. Iirc, it was at home to Middling opposition , Hull, I think. That would have been the sensible middle way - play him while his confidence was high, against one of the lesser sides at home.

---------------Lloris--------------
------Vlad----Kaboul----Vert----
Walker----------------------Rose
--------Dembele---Sandro-------
--------------Lamela-------------
-----------Ade---Soldado--------

I agree it wouldn't be right to drop Lennon but a 3-5-2 I think would work well for Lamela. Not so much defensive responsibility and two strikers occupying the defence to create space for him. I really hope we find a way to get him playing with freedom and confidence.
It's only going to come with a run of games but at the expense of who?

In general i agree with you, especially the sentences in bold.
We battered Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home and he was confident and flying and could have unlocked the door in a game which we lost.
To then play him away to City of all games was naive at best and suicidal madness at worst.

I'm almost certain our previous manager had ulterior motives doing that. I said so at the time and was told that wasn't the case, how he's being protected etc etc. That City game was very dodgy.

Why are people now saying that Lamela should play up front? Has he ever actually played in that position?

From what I've heard he played out wide for Roma, and played in the number 10 role in Argentina, so why should he now suddenly play up front for us?

I want him in the number 10 role. When I say that he should replace Adebayor, obviously I don't mean in a like for like swap.

So you can't see how that was poor management?

People say he has to take his chance in the Europa, he does exactly that with a man of the match performance against Sheriff - http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776777/Live

He comes off the pitch with his confidence as high as it's been in his time here, we think this may be where his THFC career takes off. Three days later we have Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home, perfect time to start him .... but no, not in the team, we're losing 1-0, got to bring on Lamela surely, no, Kaboul comes on ... then Sandro ... one sub left, we need a goal, here comes Lamela ... no, on comes Defoe. We lose the game and any momentum is lost - http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720153/Live

Two weeks until the next game, he finally starts and it just so happens to be the hardest game of the season, we get battered and Lamela's confidence is at rock bottom again. Yep, perfectly handled.

People say he has to take his chance in the Europa, he does exactly that with a man of the match performance against Sheriff - http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776777/Live

He comes off the pitch with his confidence as high as it's been in his time here, we think this may be where his THFC career takes off. Three days later we have Saudi Sportswashing Machine at home, perfect time to start him .... but no, not in the team, we're losing 1-0, got to bring on Lamela surely, no, Kaboul comes on ... then Sandro ... one sub left, we need a goal, here comes Lamela ... no, on comes Defoe. We lose the game and any momentum is lost - http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720153/Live

Two weeks until the next game, he finally starts and it just so happens to be the hardest game of the season, we get battered and Lamela's confidence is at rock bottom again. Yep, perfectly handled.

I see your point but when does he shoulder some of the responsibility. You highlighted the Sheriff match which was by far his best match of the season but what about the other half dozen Europa games where he looked anywhere from average to ****? You can hardly blame our managers for not starting him based on his performances.

The thing is that it is very difficult to make an informed comment as an outsider. We do not know what had been discussed with the player, it could have always been agreed with Lamela that he would be in and out of the team during his settling in period. Plenty of managers take this approach, most notably Wenger and Ferguson. On the other hand, you could be right and it might've been bad man management or AVB trying to make a point.

You seem to be missing the point.

Playing Lamela in the EL was fine as a way to slowly integrate him. But how does this fit in with playing him away to City for his first league start?

Do you think it was a similarly solid decision to give Ade his only minutes on the pitch away to City and then drop him again?

The thing is that it is very difficult to make an informed comment as an outsider. We do not know what had been discussed with the player, it could have always been agreed with Lamela that he would be in and out of the team during his settling in period. Plenty of managers take this approach, most notably Wenger and Ferguson. On the other hand, you could be right and it might've been bad man management or AVB trying to make a point.

In and out of the team during a settling in period is fine. But how is giving him his first league start away to the best home team in the league helping him settle in? Tons of posters on here were hoping for a start for Lamela in a home game against a smaller club, that made sense. This is what I could see Wenger or Ferguson do. Starting him away to City and then dropping him makes no sense to me.

I can't think of a singe example where Wenger or Ferguson treated a player in a similar fashion, I might be wrong though.

IIRC after Townsend got MoM and another good performance for England he came back to Spurs and didn't start for about 6 games. AVB did do some strange things when it came to team selection.

"We know what a talented player he is and we do also understand how players need time to settle," Sherwood said.

"Erik’s needing that time to acclimatise to a new country and the tempo of the games, especially over that Christmas period where them come thick and fast.

“We’re going to take it nice and steady with him and I really want to put him on the stage when he’s ready to perform, rather than let people judge him when he’s half-cooked.

“He won’t be leaving on loan in this transfer window.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/453137/Tim-Sherwood-Tottenham-s-Erik-Lamela-not-for-sale

Back