• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Lamela is our only player who doesn't go missing in any matches, playing well or not. His work rate and creativity is second to none as well. His only problem is lack of goals. He has not been in good form lately but remember his 4 league goals earlier in the season have helped us to be where we are now. Remember, Son didn't score in 16 league matches from April until November and Lamela scored 6 league goals during that time.

He seems to be concentrating on tackling recently. Maybe he can be the replacement for Dembele. After all our midfield seems too soft now without Wanyama and Dembele. Maybe we can try Sissoko and Lamela in the centre midfield ?

Lamela is our only player who doesn't go missing in any matches, playing well or not. His work rate and creativity is second to none as well. His only problem is lack of goals. He has not been in good form lately but remember his 4 league goals earlier in the season have helped us to be where we are now. Remember, Son didn't score in 16 league matches from April until November and Lamela scored 6 league goals during that time.

He seems to be concentrating on tackling recently. Maybe he can be the replacement for Dembele. After all our midfield seems too soft now without Wanyama and Dembele. Maybe we can try Sissoko and Lamela in the centre midfield ?

No
Lamela isn’t consistently creative and has fits and spurts
We know your his biggest fan and he did very well earlier in the season when our better players were coming back from the WC
Can’t fault his work rate but for a creative player he needs to bring more to the table to get regular starts which you would assume would be hugely important for him at this age

No
Lamela isn’t consistently creative and has fits and spurts
We know your his biggest fan and he did very well earlier in the season when our better players were coming back from the WC
Can’t fault his work rate but for a creative player he needs to bring more to the table to get regular starts which you would assume would be hugely important for him at this age

Yet you want to bring in Zaha who is statistically less creative and realistically far more inconsistent... I do find that odd.

I think Lamela did exactly what he always does when he came on on Saturday - changed the tempo and made us assertive from the top of the pitch. It's a really underrated function.

Yet you want to bring in Zaha who is statistically less creative and realistically far more inconsistent... I do find that odd.

Is he ?

Sure the stats you pasted yesterday had Zaha ahead

But he had played more games

And as I said Zaha is feeding donkeys, Lamela is feeding thoroughbreds

Is he ?

Sure the stats you pasted yesterday had Zaha ahead

But he had played more games

And as I said Zaha is feeding donkeys, Lamela is feeding thoroughbreds

Zaha is a greatly undervalued player on here, Ive no real idea why to be honest.

He isnt the second coming, of course, but everything about him suggests (to me!) that if Poch ever got his hands on him he could be an incredibly exciting player for us.

Zaha is a greatly undervalued player on here, Ive no real idea why to be honest.

He isnt the second coming, of course, but everything about him suggests (to me!) that if Poch ever got his hands on him he could be an incredibly exciting player for us.

I'd say the opposite. People get hard-ons for showy stepover kings. Whereas other players are just subtly much more effective

Have you actually seen his stats? He offers fudge all. As I've said, highlights reel show-pony. He's the same age as Lamela and offers no real upside that I can see.

His attitude is also questionable, recently sent off for dissent after two absurd yellow cards.

Isn't he also on 150-200k a week or something insane like that? No way we could accommodate him at that rate and I highly doubt Poch would entertain the idea.

Have you actually seen his stats? He offers fudge all. As I've said, highlights reel show-pony. He's the same age as Lamela and offers no real upside that I can see.

His attitude is also questionable, recently sent off for dissent after two absurd yellow cards.

Isn't he on 150-200k a week or something insane like that? No way we could accommodate him and I highly doubt Poch would entertain the idea.

That sending off was of course a Red, but his reaction to the constant fouling game after game after game he suffers, some of it really nasty, that goes unpunished was entirely understandable. He is targeted for "the treatment" and with good reason.

If he really offered "fudge all" that simply wouldnt be the case, would it?

Stats?

This season Zaha has 8 goals, 2 assists - Lamela has 4 goals and 2 assists.

Zaha also has 30 tackles and 19 blocked shots, so clearly does his defensive duties too (Lamela has 16 and 9).

Not that I care much for arguments based around stats.

I think the things to consider with Zaha are two fold.

1) At Palace he is the best player by a distance and a lot of the good work he does goes without reward because they have bloody Benteke or Ayew ahead of him.

2) At Spurs its win-win. Either he gets the same attention he does at Palace and Kane/Alli and co have all the space in the world, or he doesnt and he really gets to punish teams with a bit more space to play and the like of Kane to play to.

His dribbling would be major asset. His strength and pace would be.

I genuinely think he would be a massive player to have for us (or, at the very least, a player like him).

Isn't he also on 150-200k a week or something insane like that? No way we could accommodate him at that rate and I highly doubt Poch would entertain the idea.
In regards to Lamela I have heard from somone who has 'contacts' at Spurs that Lamela is on less than 60k a week which I'm sure would make both Poch and Levy keen to keep him around as I doubt we would find a better player for those wages even if he does have his negative points....

In regards to Lamela I have heard from somone who has 'contacts' at Spurs that Lamela is on less than 60k a week which I'm sure would make both Poch and Levy keen to keep him around as I doubt we would find a better player for those wages even if he does have his negative points....
You won’t get a top player for that wage thata for sure

But for us to make the step up we need top players

That sending off was of course a Red, but his reaction to the constant fouling game after game after game he suffers, some of it really nasty, that goes unpunished was entirely understandable. He is targeted for "the treatment" and with good reason.

If he really offered "fudge all" that simply wouldnt be the case, would it?

Stats?

This season Zaha has 8 goals, 2 assists - Lamela has 4 goals and 2 assists.

Zaha also has 30 tackles and 19 blocked shots, so clearly does his defensive duties too (Lamela has 16 and 9).

Not that I care much for arguments based around stats.

I think the things to consider with Zaha are two fold.

1) At Palace he is the best player by a distance and a lot of the good work he does goes without reward because they have bloody Benteke or Ayew ahead of him.

2) At Spurs its win-win. Either he gets the same attention he does at Palace and Kane/Alli and co have all the space in the world, or he doesnt and he really gets to punish teams with a bit more space to play and the like of Kane to play to.

His dribbling would be major asset. His strength and pace would be.

I genuinely think he would be a massive player to have for us (or, at the very least, a player like him).

Mate, Zaha & Lamela's record over the last 5 years are remarkable similar (up to a month ago, I believe Zaha had +1 goal), big difference, Zaha is a fudging striker who starts every game and has a team setup for him to score (they gave up on Benteke a long time ago), Lamela is a workhorse midfielder with some attacking capability. Record does not reflect well on Zaha.

Truth is .. Zaha should be compared to Son, that is like for like … then you suddenly realize how mediocre Zaha is ..

Lamela for me is a decent bench/rotation option, if by some miracle we actually ever get a full season out of him, maybe he'll be something more.

Mate, Zaha & Lamela's record over the last 5 years are remarkable similar (up to a month ago, I believe Zaha had +1 goal), big difference, Zaha is a fudging striker who starts every game and has a team setup for him to score (they gave up on Benteke a long time ago), Lamela is a workhorse midfielder with some attacking capability. Record does not reflect well on Zaha.

Truth is .. Zaha should be compared to Son, that is like for like … then you suddenly realize how mediocre Zaha is ..

Lamela for me is a decent bench/rotation option, if by some miracle we actually ever get a full season out of him, maybe he'll be something more.

Zaha is a wing forward who occasionally plays as a main striker so I agree that Son is a likely comparison

The key though is he plays for a brick defensive team and has been their main attacking outlet

Zaha is not a striker. And Palace are not set up for him to score.

Zaha is a winger that can come inside, and finds himself in the position of being the only genuine quality in his team and basically responsible for their results.

He is big, strong, quick, RIDICULOUSLY skillful, and the sort of player who could make a real impact on games for a team like ours.

He is ideal for us for those games where teams park the bus, would be an absolute game changer in those.

He is more than good enough to play for us in any "regular" game.

And, if as I suspect, Poch works his magic on him he could become a genuine star for us.

Zaha is a winger that can come inside, and finds himself in the position of being the only genuine quality in his team and basically responsible for their results.

He is big, strong, quick, RIDICULOUSLY skillful, and the sort of player who could make a real impact on games for a team like ours.

He is ideal for us for those games where teams park the bus, would be an absolute game changer in those.

And, if as I suspect, Poch works his magic on him he could become a genuine star for us.

But would we pay £60m for him?

It’s why to me we wound need to sacrifice Lamela to someone like Inter who have deep pockets and that sale fund half of Zaha

But would we pay £60m for him?

It’s why to me we wound need to sacrifice Lamela to someone like Inter who have deep pockets and that sale fund half of Zaha

Personally I would. Id also sell Lamela to fund his purchase*.

That said, who knows with Levy? I dont buy the idea that he'll never loosen the purse strings, but who and what he will pay for is a bit of a mystery to me. And who knows what the price would actually be? Parish is a bellend and would IMHO make any move near impossible anyway.

*Despite the way this conversation is going, I do actually like Lamela. Theres a lot to love about him, but I do also fall on the side that he really should be delivering more. The frustrating thing is that its there, you can see he has it in him, but it just seems to be out of reach.

Mate, honestly I think you are confusing "highlights reel" Zaha with his level .. it's not the same

Total career - Zaha = 294 Games, 43 goals, Eriksen = 308 Games, 71 goals (league only, some championship for Zaha in that, some dutch league for Eriksen)
PL only = Zaha has 24 goals in last 4 seasons, Son has 41.

At best, this guy would be an off the bench play, at the money, wages and his age (26), he's simply not worth it ...

Back