• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

It is interesting though that Walker has gotten so much abuse for yesterday and Lloris has gotten so little when they were both at fault.

The way I see it, the fault is 70% with Kyle, for attempting such an awful lobbed ball, and 30% Lloris. Not for running out -- he got there first, after all -- but for trying the pass to BAE rather than just hoofing it straight.

If Lloris had mashed it out of danger, or even made that pass to BAE, we'd all be saying how brilliant he was.

That said, we're playing a high-risk strategy which is, by and large, working. If we had a top-class striker, we'd have been out of sight by that time.

The way I see it, the fault is 70% with Kyle, for attempting such an awful lobbed ball, and 30% Lloris. Not for running out -- he got there first, after all -- but for trying the pass to BAE rather than just hoofing it straight.

If Lloris had mashed it out of danger, or even made that pass to BAE, we'd all be saying how brilliant he was.

That said, we're playing a high-risk strategy which is, by and large, working. If we had a top-class striker, we'd have been out of sight by that time.

Good post.

Your percentages may be right (haven't really given it much thought in those terms) but Lloris certainly hasn't gotten 30% of the abuse. Walker's got the vast, vast majority of it which is unfair on the lad.

If I was a pro footballer, I'd sneak a peek at these forums but if Walker did, he might well wonder why he bothers. The lad made a mistake. Big swinging mickey. We all make mistakes in every part of our lives. It happens but he's still an important part of the best Spurs side I've seen in my lifetime and I'm delighted to have him.

I'm watching football long enough to know that unbeaten runs, lucky breaks, goalscoring streaks don't last forever and when they stop, you shouldn't just knee jerk. Let's see how we respond and how we finish the season. There will be more mistakes between now and then but the people making those mistakes might just be the same people that get us into the Champions League and/or win us the Europa League. And even if they do neither, they'll have my support until the day that Levy/AVB decide that they would be better off elsewhere.

I blame Walker for the bad pass yes, but the pass in itself wasn't enough to give up a goal. Oddly i am in the Lloris thread, so i am for some reason not discussing the Walker issue.

To not blame Lloris for what is a clear error would be silly. I agree with those above, if you play a sweeper keeper he will be caught out at times. However it will be making the wrong choice to come for the ball that is the issue, that he got to the ball before downing showed that he was right to come out. I commend him for that. The failed clearance at that stage however lays squarely on Lloris.

If we're going to take your Walker/Lloris idea then no player is ever at fault for a goal because the player before him could have solved it. Load of crap. Walker made a mistake. Lloris also made a mistake.

I think Lloris has been immense recently. That doesn't mean we should cover it up when he does eventually make a mistake. It's the first mistake i can remember that directly led to a goal from him. If he can get by the entire season only making one of them, then he will have had a great season.

I said a while ago - the way Lloris plays he will be caught out on the odd occassion and like many others have said I wouldn't change that - he has saved us many times this season.

I am of the view he should never have been put in that position by Walker.

Remember against Werder Bremeen in the CL when we conceded as a result of BAEs hopeless clearance? We still had a chance to clear it after that but who got the 'blame'? It was BAE... It didn't even lead directly to a goal - there was about half a minute between the 'clearance' and goal.

Anyways

Anyone who blames Lloris for that goal has to blame him for not saving the penalty too.
He was put in the same impossible situation on both occasions imo.

Anyone who blames Lloris for that goal has to blame him for not saving the penalty too.
He was put in the same impossible situation on both occasions imo.

The Walker pass was not an impossible situation. He got to the ball first, that shows it was anything but an impossible situation.

The Walker pass was not an impossible situation. He got to the ball first, that shows it was anything but an impossible situation.

A keeper isn't expected to save a a penalty, just like he not expected to beat a winger to race for a ball played into no mans land.
It might happen occasionally. But you cant blame him if he doesn't do it every time.
Getting to the ball first is like a getting a fingertip on a successful penalty kick.

A keeper isn't expected to save a a penalty, just like he not expected to beat a winger to race for a ball played into no mans land.
It might happen occasionally. But you cant blame him if he doesn't do it every time.
Getting to the ball first is like a getting a fingertip on a successful penalty kick.

The two are not comparable.

He does get to the ball first. The mistake is in trying to pass the ball rather then just get rid.

The two are not comparable.

He does get to the ball first. The mistake is in trying to pass the ball rather then just get rid.

He gets to the right of the ball first misjudging his run or the bounce of the ball and has a swing at it with his left. He tried and failed to get whatever contact he could.

He gets to the right of the ball first misjudging his run or the bounce of the ball and has a swing at it with his left. He tried and failed to get whatever contact he could.

That's just not how i see it. His failed contact just happened to be travelling towards the only nearby spurs player?

And you have just stated he made a mistake anyway. He misjudges the bounce of the ball. Whichever way you see it, he made a mistake.

You just think the mistake he made was different to the one i think he made.

The goal is 100% down to Lloris. He has previous as well. I did not think he did too well with the first goal either.

But I don't want him dropped. He is an excellent keeper who did mainly good things yesterday and since he joined us.

Eventually Lloris was going to make a mistake like this, but him playing that 'sweeper' role has saved us a lot of times before. When balls get played over the top and behind our defence I'm almost not worried because I know that he'll come out and push the ball away to safety, he's so quick off the mark that it looks so secure. But he'll learn from yesterday. When an opposition player is harking down on the ball then it needs to be ousted rather than pushed gently towards the full-back. In all honesty I thought he should have gone after it with his head at first.

Anyway, he's still one of the best 'keepers in the league, and has made his first massive mistake that has cost us a goal. Nothing to worry about - just something to put in both his and AvB's mind. We were getting slices through the middle quite a lot yesterday, just the nature of the beast.

Agree with this.

Don't think Walker is massively to blame as his pass back was wayward but it was going wide - it wasn't a certain goal. We've been due to concede a goal like that for a while given the high-risk strategy with the high-line and relying on the GK to bail us out.
They're both to blame, but if Walker doesn't play a blind pass on the halfway line back towards his non-existent centre-back and goalkeeper then we wouldn't have conceded. It was a stupid mistake to make, and struck me of poor decision-making and poor awareness.

If Verts had kept his legs together it would not have been a goal either. He did well and was standing on the goal line right where he should have been and Downing struck it right at him.

Hard to blame any one player, as that goal was the perfect storm clustetf*ck of three consecutive incidents -Walker's stupid backpass, Lloris' failed clearance and Verts getting nutmegged.

If Verts had kept his legs together it would not have been a goal either. He did well and was standing on the goal line right where he should have been and Downing struck it right at him.

Hard to blame any one player, as that goal was the perfect storm clustetf*ck of three consecutive incidents -Walker's stupid backpass, Lloris' failed clearance and Verts getting nutmegged.

Do you think Vertonghen should have advanced on the attacker rather than staying on the line?

Back