• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

HRH Queenie

It’s the daily nazi…. It’s what’s expected
Just as the article quoted above is the guardian p, which may as well be the NY times
I actually can’t think of a decent news outlet that isn’t one extreme now…

The Guardian has led with eight days of often utterly bizarre, and largely fawning, royal coverage.

The frightening thing is that there has been almost no divergence from this approach in any UK media, and no other news has existed for over a week.

Depressing and deeply worrying. As Brexit showed, we remain a nation obsessed with a world which has long since moved on.

It's lovely to see the respect and deference shown by most people at this momentous event, it's somewhat reassuring that the length of public mourning isn't being loudly objected to and shouted down.
A wonderful moment, almost out of time. A very healthy thing.

It's lovely to see the respect and deference shown by most people at this momentous event, it's somewhat reassuring that the length of public mourning isn't being loudly objected to and shouted down.
You make it sound like it's happening organically! Where on earth would anyone object or shout it down? Outside of social media it's a closed shop.

It’s not, though, is it? Plenty of lunatics willing to be interviewed by a supine media, yes, but almost everyone I know thinks the whole thing is completely weird and are going about business as normal.

It’ll be a long walk, a few podcasts and streaming services only for me on Monday. After that, hopefully the country can get back to trying to find a way for its economy to get out of its current basket case status.

About 1 in 5 people engaged in any way with the jubilee earlier this year - 20%. Not a National event in any way.

This has more engagement and attention as it is more historic but this 'whole, unified' nation narrative from the conservative and obsequious media is not reflective of the genuine lack of interest of very large parts of the country. Lot of rubber-necking as well.

It’s the daily nazi…. It’s what’s expected
Just as the article quoted above is the guardian p, which may as well be the NY times
I actually can’t think of a decent news outlet that isn’t one extreme now…

A mix of France24, CGTN and Al Jazeera gives a healthy bit of perspective

About 1 in 5 people engaged in any way with the jubilee earlier this year - 20%. Not a National event in any way.

This has more engagement and attention as it is more historic but this 'whole, unified' nation narrative from the conservative and obsequious media is not reflective of the genuine lack of interest of very large parts of the country. Lot of rubber-necking as well.

The first two days probably had a lot of interest, its dropping like a stone after that i would imagine.
The media are only highlighting those that are interested, shining a very narrow beam and ignoring everything else.

Of course you are 100% right I just find peoples reasoning also fairly weak at times.

She is not poor or needs the money so that idea for me is laughable but often used. I do also believe that people can choose what media they want to participate in without it meaning that its open season in their lives. I don't buy into that if you give an interview you somehow deserve the press on your porch or sifting your bins for example.

You will never hear me defend the British media. They all have their narratives no matter what side of the political divide they are on. The left defend Meghan no matter what, the right criticise her no matter what. But I do think most sensible people can make up their own minds about her without race coming into it. Having said that, I agree it gets tiresome seeing the Daily Mail have a pop at her every day. Like I said above, it seems like she can’t do anything right with certain quarters of the print media.

You will never hear me defend the British media. They all have their narratives no matter what side of the political divide they are on. The left defend Meghan no matter what, the right criticise her no matter what. But I do think most sensible people can make up their own minds about her without race coming into it. Having said that, I agree it gets tiresome seeing the Daily Mail have a pop at her every day. Like I said above, it seems like she can’t do anything right with certain quarters of the print media.

I think we just need better privacy laws where they can't write anything about a public figure unless it relates actively to the performance of their specific role (did she cut that ribbon with one snip, or did it require two) or regarding proven matters of criminality (the sex abuser one).

I think we just need better privacy laws where they can't write anything about a public figure unless it relates actively to the performance of their specific role (did she cut that ribbon with one snip, or did it require two) or regarding proven matters of criminality (the sex abuser one).

I think sources should be revealed mandatory. That they puts the responsibility on the person wanted to whistle blow, if you are going to the media you should have the cahones to stand by it and it also weeds out the media lies when they throw in "A source commented" when its a blatant lie.

If the monarchy has shown me anything this week it is that it needs shaking up. She’s doing that even if we find it at hard watch.

It needs getting rid of, which actually would stop all the supposed hate. Same as people that moan about the bbc not being impartial but then then get upset if anyone talks about getting rid of it.

Approaching Seven Sisters and got cut of bu motorbikes with flashing blue lights and a bunch of SUVs, one carrying the American flag. Had to be Biden.

Definitely well put.

As I'm not British I'm definitely on the outside looking in and treating people and their reactions with respect seems like a good idea.

My one objection with your post would be if people are strongly against the monarchy and would like to see it abolished. A truce breathing space can allow a mostly positive narrative around the monarchy to exist at precisely the the time when it has the most attention. The effect of which may be difficult to distinguish from pro monarchy propaganda.

Personally, and again looking from the outside, I think the criticism has it's place even at this time. But people expressing that should perhaps be mindful that what they express will be received by many that saw the Queen as someone they liked, respected and thought brought more safety to the world.

Excellently made point re: space and narratives, but I firmly believe no-one will pay attention to anti-monarchy arguments until the funeral is done, simply because aside from what QE2 was as a person, there is a whole other mass grief-bathe going on, in a sense because of all everyone has been through the past few years, and when that happens, no-one hears anything they don’t want to. I think the true path to a serious, and perhaps productive, conversation about change in having a monarchy will come in the future months. I also have a firm belief that Charles is not going to be able to do the job. Seriously. I think he will do serious damage to the pro-monarchy view.

The Guardian has led with eight days of often utterly bizarre, and largely fawning, royal coverage.

The frightening thing is that there has been almost no divergence from this approach in any UK media, and no other news has existed for over a week.

Depressing and deeply worrying. As Brexit showed, we remain a nation obsessed with a world which has long since moved on.

It is my hope that once the funeral has passed, everyone will have got it all out of their systems and proper conversations about serious brick can be had with a hope to fast change.

Back