• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How do we stop being stagnant?

spurs' magna carter

Ronnie Rosenthal
During the 2005/06 season we finally have our Tottenham back but then don't improve until 2010.

2005/06 - 5th
2006/07 - 5th
2007/08 - 11th
2008/09 - 8th

During Redknapp's first full season (2009/10) in charge we qualify for the Champions League, since then we haven't returned to CL and haven't improve as whole.

2009/10 - 4th
2010/11 - 5th
2011/12 - 4th (kicked out of the CL by UEFA due to Chelsea winning the competition)
2012/13 - 5th

It's a frustrating pattern to notice but one that is so evident, I'm sure that there is a whole host of reasons , one noticeable one being a lot of squad changes, with our best players being sold.

We have a problem now with the squad gelling together, still getting to know their strengths and thus the manager doesn't know his best team.

How do we get out of this stagnation and improve?

I think what those stats show is that the last 4 years were better than then 4 years prior and we dont need to see the stats to know that they (05-09) were better than the 4 years prior to those i.e. we have been on an upward spiral for the last decade.

The problem is that the better we have got the greater the competition and the smaller the margins to work with. I think we have the toughest transfers to conclude. We are too high up the table to be able to gamble on youngsters like Lennon, Dawson, Huddlestone or untried foreigners like Berbatov or Modric to take us up a level because if they dont work out then the difference between finishing 8th and 11th is minimal. Equally, we are outside of the Champions League virtuous circle so will not attract the players who are nearest competitors can bring in.

5th/6th are probably the hardest positions to improve on.

Have a sit down with the staff/players and sort out the issues before they become major problems. Maybe bring on another coach to offer a different set of ideas/opinions. Abandon the EL and instead have double sessions ala southampton to help establish a system that gets the best out of our players.

Have a sit down with the staff/players and sort out the issues before they become major problems. Maybe bring on another coach to offer a different set of ideas/opinions. Abandon the EL and instead have double sessions ala southampton to help establish a system that gets the best out of our players.

Agree with the Southampton part but not the idea of abandoning the Europa League, we need to win trophies, all this crap about the CL is one of the reasons why I feel this club isn't moving as it should. Whilst getting back into CL is our No. 1 priority at moment it still doesn't give us the winning mentality that we need to grow and be successful .

We have won just 1 trophy in the past 14 years, to get this club really going we need to win trophies, just look at Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid over the past four years, both have won 3 trophies each in that time and despite the comings and goings of their best players they're still a force to be reckoned with.

We have a good chance to win the EL and we should try our absolute best to to take.

After all, AVB did say that the key was 'getting Tottenham back on track with titles'

[video=youtube;DXbYU3qhN7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXbYU3qhN7U[/video]

1:10 onwards.

Agree with the Southampton part but not the idea of abandoning the Europa League, we need to win trophies, all this crap about the CL is one of the reasons why I feel this club isn't moving as it should. Whilst getting back into CL is our No. 1 priority at moment it still doesn't give us the winning mentality that we need to grow and be successful .

We have won just 1 trophy in the past 14 years, to get this club really going we need to win trophies, just look at Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid over the past four years, both have won 3 trophies each in that time and despite the comings and goings of their best players they're still a force to be reckoned with.

We have a good chance to win the EL and we should try our absolute best to to take.

After all, AVB did say that the key was 'getting Tottenham back on track with titles'

[video=youtube;DXbYU3qhN7U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXbYU3qhN7U[/video]

1:10 onwards.

I wrote this in the AVB thread but my reason for ditching the EL

In the big picture yes, EL performances have affected us. You mention happiness? I cannot for the life of my begin to believe that the players are happy in this current system that we play.We are struggling to integrate players into the team, struggling to create any semblance of attacking or cohesive play in the final third. The EL is reason that these performances have actually continued because the EL is solidifying AVB's idea about how the team should play, the EL is the key and reason that AVB justifies some of these tepid performances. I'm saying take away this crutch of his for a season and focus entirely on bringing this team up to speed. Like i mentioned in my previous post, pochettino has been having immense success with his team because he has instituted double sessions in order to hasten the gelling/solidarity of the team, and isn't that what we want?

Our decent run in the EL has given AVB the firm belief that his current style/system is the way forward. That is why i feel the EL is giving us a false sense of improvement/growth because we attempt to carry these feel good results in the League, which i have i feel is the priority, and end up with EL type performances against Prem opposition. We would be better served with double sessions to aid the team's collective growth as a unit.

It's 3 months until our next EL game that matters anyway.

I say ditch it, avoid the extensive traveling to the far ends of Europe. Spend that wed/thursday with a double session at out state of the art training centre instead, working on setpieces and the like.

We're not stagnant at all we're going backwards and rapidly. How do we change this? Simple....stop selling our best players.

Stop playing Paulinho, he takes 16 touches and then either passes it backwards or give it away. He's a box to box midfielder who scores goals. He's not doing that at the moment so shouldn't be in the team

Change the manager. AVB is stopping us stagnating by taking us backwards. He's trying to play tactics which dont remotely suit our players. We dont have creative tippy tappy type players - if we were going to play this way then Paulinho and Capoue were the wrong players to sign last summer

You can argue the EL two ways - that it gives extra games for the new players to integrate or that it is a massive diversion from the PL.
But what you can't argue is that when we did achieve the CL, we were NOT in the EL and able to concentrate wholly on the PL and cups.

To make the breakthrough we will need an outstanding manager, outstanding squad, and luck. If we define an outstanding manager as one who gets the best from the players at his disposal, then AVB currently has large question mark over him. The system needs to fit the players...

The problem is we will not get better whilst Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea have their Sugar Daddies to buy whoever the manager wants (and sometimes those they don't want) and either Man Utd or Arsenal have a poor season and don't get in the CL.

Without either a Sugar Daddy or continual CL money we will never be better than 5th and that's a problem that faces EVERY club except MU, MC, CFC and A***.

He has to change things, AvB has to drop Paulinho, poor lad is knackered. Lamela at present looks like a flower, he needs to seriously man up in the big games if he's played (family gone back home ?), we need to learn to soak up pressure and break - coz we have young and fast players who can do that. The slow build up is painful to watch, sooo lethargic, energy sapping and requires us to have so much possession - but we aren't clinical. Players have to work harder in tracking back, everyone has to put a shift in.

BTW who is our captain ??? This scares me to death, coz I know the answer and I'm not sure he has the commanding presence we need. AvB needs to make a change, his general has to be able to stamp authority and drag the players up on the field. At the moment, the manager and the captain look weak.

Stop playing Paulinho, he takes 16 touches and then either passes it backwards or give it away. He's a box to box midfielder who scores goals. He's not doing that at the moment so shouldn't be in the team

Spot on. We need to circulate the ball quicker. Dembele doesn't exactly look for the early pass either but at least he can beat a man to open up some space. We need a more adventurous passer from deep, its a shame Eriksen is injured.

1) We have essentially qualified for the next round of the Europa league, so send the kids out with Freund and a few players that need games.
2) Go back to a solid base of Dembele and Sandro and build from there.
3) Develop a system that works to our players attributes. Possession is fine, but we don't have that deep passer to break open their midfield and put our attack on the front foot against their defence, unless we do go completely into developing Holtby into this man. On that note, I recall Capoue having a good "vertical pass" to the front on him.
4) Get Sig in the middle somehow because he is our only goal threat outside the 18 yrd box.
5) Once set on the formation double sessions. Must get the players on board and believing in it.
6) Buy a left back or bring Benny back. Jan must stay in the middle of defence either way.

Back