• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How did we get Jürgen Klinsmann?

Daisuk

Les Medley
I was 10 at the time, and can't remember the details around it, but I remember it being a huge shock that we had somehow signed Jurgen Klinsmann (I actually didn't believe it when my dad told me). He was huge at the time, had done well at the world cup, and suddenley joined us, who hadn't exactly done well over the recent few years. Why exactly did he join us? I think about this every now and then, and can't quite grasp it. I don't think you'd see anything equivalent in today's football - Pogba wouldn't suddenley just join Southampton, for instance (not a fair comparison to neither the player nor the club, but you get the gist).

Any takers? :p

It's not an accurate comparison.

His career was actually on a downward spiral at the time. Inter Milan had let him leave and he was at Monaco. The French teams then did not pay that well and their league was not highly regarded. He had a mediocre impact there and was allowed to leave.

We resurrected his career. And he used us and fudged off as soon as Bayern came calling. The second time he came back was the same. He was being used as a sub. We got him back and his impact was slight. We stayed up and his 4 goals in the last game glossed over a average return.

His legend status in many people's eyes annoys me. 1 season and off he flew. Yet teddy got awful chants for much the same thing yet he stayed for a while.

His career was actually on a downward spiral at the time. Inter Milan had let him leave and he was at Monaco. The French teams then did not pay that well and their league was not highly regarded. He had a mediocre impact there and was allowed to leave.

We resurrected his career. And he used us and fudged off as soon as Bayern came calling. The second time he came back was the same. He was being used as a sub. We got him back and his impact was slight. We stayed up and his 4 goals in the last game glossed over a average return.

His legend status in many people's eyes annoys me. 1 season and off he flew. Yet teddy got awful chants for much the same thing yet he stayed for a while.

Yeah, he'd been poor at Inter and was 30 YO.

Pretty much sums it up.

That seems rather downbeat chaps. A bit like saying Bergkamp and Henry were flops in Italy and then that lot signed nobodies like Overmars and Anelka and Vieira and Petit and blah blah blah negative spin....

I remember being ecstatic when Spurs signed Klinsmann out of the blue, and him being a massive influence on the pitch. Very hard working, intelligent, knitted play, scored goals, got us on the TV and in the papers, huge positive impact when we needed it.

Thanks for that. Was too young to really keep track of what was happening at the time. I just remember him playing well in the world cup that year. :)

That seems rather downbeat chaps. A bit like saying Bergkamp and Henry were flops in Italy and then that lot signed nobodies like Overmars and Anelka and Vieira and Petit and blah blah blah negative spin....

I remember being ecstatic when Spurs signed Klinsmann out of the blue, and him being a massive influence on the pitch. Very hard working, intelligent, knitted play, scored goals, got us on the TV and in the papers, huge positive impact when we needed it.

Personally i was not downgrading his performance in that first season at all, but the question was how did we manage to get him and "Sandman" told it like it was.

Thanks for that. Was too young to really keep track of what was happening at the time. I just remember him playing well in the world cup that year. :)

His peak was probably the 1990 WC though

We had an extra season out of Lineker compared to Klinsmann, but it was similar to signing Lineker in 1989, rather than say 1986.

Some of the above may be true but Klinsmann was still very highly regarded around Europe and was a top, top player. More shockingly, players of his stature didn't come to England at that time. Foreigners were of the Rosenthal/Limpar ilk. It was a fantastic signing by Sugar.

its nothing like that. Bergkamp and Henry were flops. But they stayed more than 1 season to elevate them to Legend status. Klinnsmann fudged off as soon as he got a better offer. So a massive difference in my eyes.

Some of the above may be true but Klinsmann was still very highly regarded around Europe and was a top, top player. More shockingly, players of his stature didn't come to England at that time. Foreigners were of the Rosenthal/Limpar ilk. It was a fantastic signing by Sugar.
Agree. It was a shock signing. Im not disputing that it was a very good signing for us at the time. I just feel the legend status he is given is not earned or warranted.

He COULDVE been a legend if he'd stayed IMO. I'm a similar age to you and I remember picking up the sun and turning to the back page (No tinternet at that time!) And being ecstatic!

Him and Teddy were the best partnership in the Premium imo.

He COULDVE been a legend if he'd stayed IMO. I'm a similar age to you and I remember picking up the sun and turning to the back page (No tinternet at that time!) And being ecstatic!

Him and Teddy were the best partnership in the Premium imo.
Teddy and Armstrong scored more ;)

He was desperate to get out of Monaco as well iirc, publicly a fallout with the rest of the squad but I wonder if he wanted away from French football for similar reasons to those Wenger has dropped hints about.

Teddy and Armstrong scored more ;)

Indeed. I remember stats like they were yesterday and iirc it took him 11 games to score and he opened his account by scoring twice in a 4-0 win over Chester. He got slaughtered and wrongly so but some were never gonna accept anyone after Klinsmann. £4.5m was decent money back then.

Back