• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hertfordshire?

Spursman

Neil Sullivan
Hiya,

Currently live in Essex but looking to move. I like some parts of Hertfordshire like Hertford and St Albans.

Unfortunately can't afford those areas so had a drive round welwyn Garden City which is in the middle of the areas above. I quite liked the feel of the place in the town centre.

Any one live there or know what it's like? What other areas would you consider?

I work there. It is nice. Prefer Ware if you can afford it. Very nice place.

Welwyn though, has nice parts and some **** parts. Schools are good. Infrastructure good. Decent shopping access. Lovely lakes at Stanborough. Good train links. Alot cheaper than the surrounding nicer bits.

WGC is decent, and Herts in general is just beautiful and green

maybe look at Stevenage as an alternative or London Colney - Colney is on the outskirts of St Albans and a little rough around the edges and villagey, but not terrible

although WGC would be my choice if you cannot afford St Alb.

I was born and brought up in Barnet, some great places around there (Hadley Green, New Barnet, Southgate), some ok places (Potters Bar) and some crap holes (Dollis Valley !!). I lived in Elstree for 7 years, nice place, easy commute to London, village feel about it, but avoid Borehamwood at all costs, it's a tip.

There are some good spots between Elstree and St Albans (near Radlett) which may be slightly cheaper than St Albans itself, or maybe Harpenden but not sure how that is for prices nowadays.

Other places to look at are around Aylesbury eg Tring, Stoke Mandeville and the surrounds, very pretty, easy commute and decent village pubs !!

I grew up in Ware and was born in WGC. Both nice, depending on what you want. Both can be dull if you want proper nightlife, good for young families and commuting.

As with most places, nice parts and worse parts. Choose a nice neighbourhood and it'll be fine. The nicer parts of WGC seem to be full of retired folk though.

I live in a village called Standon about 6-7 miles north of Hertford/Ware and it is amazing. Beautiful countryside and quaint pubs are the order of the day. It is my first house and I did look in St Albans, Hertford, Ware and Bishop Stortford but I got more for my money and a nicer environment to boot. Born and raised in Walthamstow, it is a refreshing change of lifestyle that I have embraced fully.

Don't know enough about Welwyn Garden City tbh but I am sure it is reasonably ok. My advice would be look at some of the little places heading west from Bishop Stortford if you fancy a nice little community.

Thanks for the helpful comments.

I really liked the town centre of WGC. if i can find a property within walking distance i would be happy. Unfortunately there is hardly anything even for sale round there. I also believe it would be a good investment. I few years ago i looked at Hertford and it was affordable. The prices have gone right up. Maybe the same would happen to the likes of WGC.

I wouldn't really want to go any further than WGC.

I live in a village called Standon about 6-7 miles north of Hertford/Ware and it is amazing. Beautiful countryside and quaint pubs are the order of the day. It is my first house and I did look in St Albans, Hertford, Ware and Bishop Stortford but I got more for my money and a nicer environment to boot. Born and raised in Walthamstow, it is a refreshing change of lifestyle that I have embraced fully.

Don't know enough about Welwyn Garden City tbh but I am sure it is reasonably ok. My advice would be look at some of the little places heading west from Bishop Stortford if you fancy a nice little community.

they still have that music festival there? I worked on it one year doing stage graphics

This is true, they are very nice country villages, but if you don't have a car then you are at the mercy of unreliable/infrequent public transport. Not ideal if there are kids going to school or wanting to go out into busier towns. Even if you're going to work, it's a drive to wherever - Hertford, Royston or Stevenage I guess - for the train. A nice drive though, unless it's snowed.

I grew up in Hitchin, lovely town with great schools. Stevenage is a bit cheaper, more shopping and night life and good rail links to London but some places aren't all that nice.

If you're willing to live in the sticks there are some really nice villages dotted all over Hertfordshire.

Stevenage produced Jack Wheelchair. Way too many Gooners and Chavs.

Hitchin is nice though. Village called Stotfold nearby which is lovely.

I live in Stevenage. As others have mentioned, loads of gooners but also quite a large number of Spurs too.

Only 25 minutes on a fast train to Kings Cross.

Just down the road from Luton airport (12 miles)

Not the nicest town but it's nowhere near as bad as Luton :p

they still have that music festival there? I worked on it one year doing stage graphics

Yeah they do still have it, first weekend in August every year apparently. Only moved in last Feb so I have only seen the advertising for one........pretty steep in prices.

Its in the grounds of the house of Viscount Trenchard, I think it is his son who runs it. Absolutely stunning grounds and house!

This is true, they are very nice country villages, but if you don't have a car then you are at the mercy of unreliable/infrequent public transport. Not ideal if there are kids going to school or wanting to go out into busier towns. Even if you're going to work, it's a drive to wherever - Hertford, Royston or Stevenage I guess - for the train. A nice drive though, unless it's snowed.

Definitely agree with the transport part. You have to drive, no doubt about it. As for the snow, I actually moved in last year and had quite bad snow initially but driving was no issue. The A120 and A10 are very well gritted and taken care of so it was never an issue for me driving in that weather.

WGC was featured in the last Simon Pegg/Nick Frost film (World's End). Don't let that put you off, though.

It's John Lewis country rather than Lidl, though we middle class baby-boomers are secretly all shopping at Lidl also these days.

WGC, Stevenage and Letchworth all have the advantage of being end of the line, which is handy if you are the sort to fall asleep on the train.

The comedian Mark Steel played Hertford Theatre and, as he always does before a gig, he asked on his web site for people to tell him one good thing about their local town. Apparently 40% of the Hertford respondents said: "It's got two mainline railway stations".

If rail travel is not an issue for you (i.e. you have a car), then there are lots of nice little villages around. Standen, mentioned earlier, looks nice.

I drive everywhere with the occasional trip on the trains.

The Mrs would need access to the trains for work so got to be within walking distance.

Stevenage produced Jack Wheelchair. Way too many Gooners and Chavs.

Hitchin is nice though. Village called Stotfold nearby which is lovely.

No it didn't. Wheelchair is a Hitchin boy not Stevenage. His family still live there (I know some of his cousins).

Back on topic. WGC is a nice place, avoid The Haldens (Mayflower pub if it's still open). Panshanger would be your best bet IMO.

Back