• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Have we fulfilled our potential?

GHod1981

Dave McEwen
For a club of our size. We don't have the 4th, 5th or 6th biggest ground in the league. We don't pay beyond our means in player wages. During our recent upturn we've sold Carrick, Berbatov, Van Der Vaart, Modric and Bale. Yet in the last 5 seasons we've come 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th and 6th. Really, in the 3 seasons before this one Emirates Marketing Project's billions have taken our Champions League spot from us. Anyway, have we peaked?

Well, no. There have been several opportunities to push on and make the most of the squad, all missed. Sign a player, sell a player when keeping that one would have made the team really strong.

Everton this year have shown that with organisation and a style you can overachieve. Atletico Madrid as well. Dortmund have, too, in recent seasons. While both Atletico and Dortmund are 3rd/2nd highest spenders in their own leagues, they both spend less than Fulham and QPR. Obviously the finances are higher in England, so saying 6th highest spenders in wages is still a lot, but it's not the be all and end all either. A proper coach, a system that everyone buys into, and smart scouting/signing makes up for lack of spending power - certainly short term.

Spurs are doing well at finishing 4th-6th, but if they want to get beyond that then something else needs to happen. A proper manager with the full support from the board would be a start.

For a club of our size. We don't have the 4th, 5th or 6th biggest ground in the league. We don't pay beyond our means in player wages. During our recent upturn we've sold Carrick, Berbatov, Van Der Vaart, Modric and Bale. Yet in the last 5 seasons we've come 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th and 6th. Really, in the 3 seasons before this one Emirates Marketing Project's billions have taken our Champions League spot from us. Anyway, have we peaked?

And Chelsea's. ENIC took over pre-Abramovich. If Chelsea & City hadn't been doped, we'd probably be regular title challengers now qualifying for the CL every season.

We have been performing above our potential consistently as our wage bill has been consistently around 7th-8th highest in the division and statistically, wage spend is the only reliable factor for predicting league finishes.

Even this season we will finish above Man Utd bar a complete disaster and the only club that has out performed us in real terms is Everton.

We ve achieved roughly our level imo, based on the clubs size and financial potential.

I'm not one of those dramatic people who has been a bit dramatic before, who's declared that if we don't qualify for the cl this season, we ve missed our chance for ever, won't do it again etc etc. I still think we have a chance to qualify for the cl next season and the season after etc etc.

However the more I think about it, the more I think we have missed a very big opportunity over the past few years. Liverpool have been a bit crap, arsenal have been paying off the stadium debt and have been stagnating and even Chelsea have had a poor season or two.

Chelsea and Liverpool seem to be getting their act together, arsenal are getting closer and closer to paying off the stadium and Emirates Marketing Project are in the mix now too.

We ve missed opportunities in key seasons or key January windows to qualify for the cl a few more times and consolidate our name etc. Big shame.

But I doubt we will finish 4th, 5th, 4th in consecutive seasons again for a little while. Competition is fierce at the moment.

So far as money goes, I'd agree with the majority on here and say we are at our level.

So far as the players we have goes, I'd say no. Now maybe these players we signed last summer will come good, but I honestly think that this year has been one of unfulfilled potential. I mean looking at the squad we have on paper, I expected more than being knocked out of the EL in the first knock out round and finishing below 5th and I bet so did quite a few players.

Well, no. There have been several opportunities to push on and make the most of the squad, all missed. Sign a player, sell a player when keeping that one would have made the team really strong.

Everton this year have shown that with organisation and a style you can overachieve. Atletico Madrid as well. Dortmund have, too, in recent seasons. While both Atletico and Dortmund are 3rd/2nd highest spenders in their own leagues, they both spend less than Fulham and QPR. Obviously the finances are higher in England, so saying 6th highest spenders in wages is still a lot, but it's not the be all and end all either. A proper coach, a system that everyone buys into, and smart scouting/signing makes up for lack of spending power - certainly short term.

Spurs are doing well at finishing 4th-6th, but if they want to get beyond that then something else needs to happen. A proper manager with the full support from the board would be a start.

And who do Lukaku, Barry and Deulofeu belong to? Take those out and I reckon their final finishing place would be significantly different.

I seriously believe that any position between 4th and 7th is about right for the income we achieve each season and without a massive change in that we will always be at that point.

I seriously believe that any position between 4th and 7th is about right for the income we achieve each season and without a massive change in that we will always be at that point.

I think most of us agree with that. Cheatski, Man C and Man U are out of our league financially so will finish higher than us consistently, all else being equal

So far as money goes, I'd agree with the majority on here and say we are at our level.

So far as the players we have goes, I'd say no
. Now maybe these players we signed last summer will come good, but I honestly think that this year has been one of unfulfilled potential. I mean looking at the squad we have on paper, I expected more than being knocked out of the EL in the first knock out round and finishing below 5th and I bet so did quite a few players.

This, who knows what stupid money City/Cheat$ki/United will spend this summer, but ...

I look at our squad and go, can you imagine a good manager improving our defensive tactics, a motivated Verts, Eriksen in his second year, and if we could get Llamela & Soldado to click?

We have done well over the last 7 or so years, no question, perhaps if luck had been with us it might have been even greater ..

And who do Lukaku, Barry and Deulofeu belong to? Take those out and I reckon their final finishing place would be significantly different.

Well quite, but they aren't playing for free are they. Everton pay their wages, or a proportion at least. Having the creativity and being organised enough to maximise your resources is a clever skill. They may struggle if the same level of player can't come in next season. It's certainly not a criticism that they got those players. Lukaku and Deulofeu were allowed to go there for a reason.

As the graphs in other threads have shown we've been performing slightly above our turnover fairly consistently.

I don't think that's the end of our current potential, nor do I think it's the end of Levy's ambitions.

As a club, the only way to truly fulfill the potential that exists in our size, location, fan base etc is to get the new stadium built.

Well quite, but they aren't playing for free are they. Everton pay their wages, or a proportion at least. Having the creativity and being organised enough to maximise your resources is a clever skill. They may struggle if the same level of player can't come in next season. It's certainly not a criticism that they got those players. Lukaku and Deulofeu were allowed to go there for a reason.

Not a criticism, but I think it deserves mention that getting that kind of value from loans is going to be difficult to do every year. And that these somewhat special circumstances have helped in them outperforming us this season in terms of money spent.

I think most of us agree with that. Cheatski, Man C and Man U are out of our league financially so will finish higher than us consistently, all else being equal

they are, but they didn't used to be, there is no reason we wouldn't be at that level with the right financial backing

they are, but they didn't used to be, there is no reason we wouldn't be at that level with the right financial backing

That world has moved on ... United/Scum have the fiscal benefit of 15+ years of CL revenue and the merchandising and extras that brings, City/Cheat$ki is fiscal doping at its worst.

"the right financial backing" would be joining the City/Cheat$ki bandwagon and getting a sugar daddy, if that's what you want, fine .. but lets not pretend it's anything else.

That world has moved on ... United/Scum have the fiscal benefit of 15+ years of CL revenue and the merchandising and extras that brings, City/Cheat$ki is fiscal doping at its worst.

"the right financial backing" would be joining the City/Cheat$ki bandwagon and getting a sugar daddy, if that's what you want, fine .. but lets not pretend it's anything else.

i'm not, but we are in the minority now, assuming we actually want to compete I see little other choice

I actually ignore Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project when I look at the table, we're not competing with them. Any team that has £1bn sunk into it is not playing the same game and I'm amazed that the media and the fans put up with it.

I actually ignore Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project when I look at the table, we're not competing with them. Any team that has £1bn sunk into it is not playing the same game and I'm amazed that the media and the fans put up with it.

It actually shows how corrupt the game is at a FA/UEFA/FIFA level

City is an awful example with their ticket prices, no other industry could you get away with what is in effect dumping (selling product at loss to hurt your competition). Any other industry, anti-competitive laws would have blocked them already.

It would be interesting if someone (club) decided to make a legal case that Cheat$ki/City are preventing legitimate businesses from success.

take all the sugar daddy clubs out of the PL and there are only a handful of us left, at which point are we the ones not playing the same game?

It actually shows how corrupt the game is at a FA/UEFA/FIFA level

City is an awful example with their ticket prices, no other industry could you get away with what is in effect dumping (selling product at loss to hurt your competition). Any other industry, anti-competitive laws would have blocked them already.

It would be interesting if someone (club) decided to make a legal case that Cheat$ki/City are preventing legitimate businesses from success.

they are not though, no united fan is gonna think "**** it, Emirates Marketing Project is cheaper, i'll go there from now on"

Back