• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Our problem is everything is speculation. Here is a different scenario - its not true - but is equally plausible as a lot of the other things being thrown around.
  • Levy and Kane do indeed have a gentleman's agreement regarding him being allowed to go if an appropriate offer is made
  • To date no offer has been made that meets this, and Kane and Levy both want a decision made so they know what is happening for the rest of the season and can plan/commit appropriately
  • With the Grealish offer being put on the table Kane and Levy agreed to try and force the hand of any interested partiess, to see if offers would come out of the woodwork
  • Kane doesn't turn up for training. Spurs don't make an official comment. Anyone interested and able to make an offer should be on the phone.
  • If no appropriate offers come in then clear nothing is going to happen. Kane comes back to training having taken additional time off for a sore ankle, and the communications to the club having got lost.
  • If an appropriate offer comes in, Kane moves, with time for all clubs to plan for the seasons ahead.
So many ways to spin the few facts we have...

Paywall and 2nd site broken ...

I certainly don't remember RM saying to the press "any club would be delighted with x amount" or "strikers are too expensive, who can afford that", brick the Pep has directly said to the press in last month.

In the end, they paid a world record fee, if City offered anything close to a world record fee I'm sure we would quite happily say yes. (and that's the disconnect. Madrid has always been willing to pay top dollar for the best, City pays well, but never top bracket)

Ok one from the mirror then.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gareth-bale-transfer-real-madrid-1753317

Our problem is everything is speculation. Here is a different scenario - its not true - but is equally plausible as a lot of the other things being thrown around.
  • Levy and Kane do indeed have a gentleman's agreement regarding him being allowed to go if an appropriate offer is made
  • To date no offer has been made that meets this, and Kane and Levy both want a decision made so they know what is happening for the rest of the season and can plan/commit appropriately
  • With the Grealish offer being put on the table Kane and Levy agreed to try and force the hand of any interested partiess, to see if offers would come out of the woodwork
  • Kane doesn't turn up for training. Spurs don't make an official comment. Anyone interested and able to make an offer should be on the phone.
  • If no appropriate offers come in then clear nothing is going to happen. Kane comes back to training having taken additional time off for a sore ankle, and the communications to the club having got lost.
  • If an appropriate offer comes in, Kane moves, with time for all clubs to plan for the seasons ahead.
I'm not saying your version of events is correct, but it just shows how many people are getting their knickers in a twist with very few hard facts to go on.

Why do you keep thinking we have to get fudged in this deal? we have never accepted less than fair value for any of Bale, Modric, Carrick, Berbatov (most were in fact some kind of record)

We don't have to settle for any fudging number and try to inflate it, you are one of the few fans who is think Levy is the one coming out of this looking looking bad (hint, it's Kane looking like a clam here)

Kane is panicking here because he's the one out in the open, he's mistimed this badly, if he wanted to leave Spurs, the time was two years ago. Next season Haaland has a cheap release clause and Mbappe will be free and he will be one year older but still with two years left on his contract. City hasn't come for him like expected and he's desperate.

This is a math problem, either City come up with something close to £140M cash +extras or Kane plays for us for another season (unless you really think he's going to down his tools for a full season), there is no loss for us.
Kane wanted to leave Spurs 1 year ago when we failed to qualify for the Champions League and he felt it was unlikely that we would get back in due to our team having weakened in comparison to our peers. I would imagine that Kane now wishes he had gone public with that a year ago instead of giving another year.

I think in your mind money is always the main thing. If we get (say) £160m for Kane then you would think that we have 'won' (or Levy has won).

I just have a different opinion from you on what would constitute us 'winning' in this one. What we should be doing is what is best for the new manager and the team going forward. Getting (say) £130m and using that money on replacements who come in early enough so that the new manager is able to hit the ground running would be FAR better than us selling for £160m after the season has started, towards the end of the window and us then having to scramble around for a replacement that we would probably have to overpay for anyway. Yes if we sold for £130m it would seem that Levy had 'lost' but if that was early enough with us doing early enough business to strengthen overall then who gives a sh!t whether Levy 'wins' or 'loses' THFC would go into the season with a chance of having a good one.

Doing a deal now for (e.g.) Vlahovic for £80m less than we sell Kane for would leave us in an excellent position. We could then bring in two further top class first team players and be stronger overall, start the season well and perhaps even finish in the CL places.

Last edited:
I hear there is an ITK saying that Kane will return this week and feels things have been blown out of proportion. I have no comment.

These points are the tea leaves at the bottom of our cups that we are all trying to read whilst sat in the dark.

But the highlighted part is the one that matters, right deal

It's simply not worth it for Spurs to sell Kane for £20-£40M below market value this season, next season he still will be worth £80M-£100M and having him could get us back to CL

the problem for Kane is the top clubs will be fighting for the above two next season, so he might not get the City/Madrid type offers, but that's his problem not ours

Again, I'm not saying we won't sell but I really don't know how people who have followed this club think Levy is going to roll over for anyone/City because Harry throws a tantrum.
Next season with clubs' finances starting to improve after covid restrictions have ended £80m to £100m is likely to worth a lot less than £80m to £100m is worth right now.
£130m now is probably worth 40% to 50% more when looking at a lot of transfer fees around Europe (look at Leon Bailey to Aston Villa for example)
I don't think it is about the club 'rolling over' it is about doing what is best for the club to give Nuno a fighting chance of making a success of this season. Getting £20 or £30m more than we could now by leaving it to the last day of the window might be the absolute worst thing we could do here (especially if we're waiting to receive the Kane money before spending on reinforcements).

I'd rather just watch Levy bend City over and f**k them without any lube for 150m than have this drag on and watch Kane's legacy go up in flames.

If Kane's legacy goes up in smoke then he can share the blame with his brother. Grealish will end up joining Emirates Marketing Project with his hero status intact.

If Kane's legacy goes up in smoke then he can share the blame with his brother. Grealish will end up joining Emirates Marketing Project with his hero status intact.

The Difference is if it were the other way around Grealish would not have a legacy to ruin. Hes had two decent seasons, nothing on Kane. If everything that is being reported is true Kane has not ruined his legacy but tarnished it. He has been the best striker at the club in my eyes and its a shame that we are discussing this to be fair.

No. I don't think that Levy should give away our most valuable player at all.
I also don't think that this is a Levy problem (you are reading that from my post yourself).
If Levy has reneged on an agreement from last summer then that is his prerogative. We saw the same situation with Modric several years ago, who also believed he had a gentleman's agreement that wasn't honoured. I suspect a good, hardnosed business man like Levy wouldn't give a toss about gentleman's agreements.
But yes I do think an agreement was made last summer. Harry did ask to leave last summer and was asked to give another year and that was kept unusually quiet. The only question for me is whether or not a price was agreed, Harry's camp seem to think that a price was set. Levy probably just thinks 'sucker - if it's not contractual it doesn't exist'.

Would I have told Kane that he could leave for £100M in 12 months' time a year ago? Perhaps, if I thought it could buy me a year of not having to go through a rebuild, though I think I would've set a fee 20 or 30 million £ above £100m (as perhaps Levy has done).

Remember here that we don't actually know what numbers Emirates Marketing Project have actually spoken to Spurs about.... maybe they have offered £130m and Levy still isn't budging. It's just that knowing Kane asked to leave 1 year ago and being requested to give another year and also viewing Kane's actions here as being rather strange and out of character, I'm putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with what I think looks more likely to be 4 than 5. I really don't see any other reason why Kane would refuse to come back and train at this stage.

Modrics gentlemans agreement was honoured. We sold him to madrid. Harry's will be honoured if a club matches our asking price. We won't sell him for less.

If someone says to you i'm interested in buying your house. You tell them that kids are still in school but when they finish you get first offer. Then they offer you less than market value. You saying no is not reneging on the deal or breaking a gentlemans agreement. It's you not getting mugged off.

Good article by Delaney

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/harry-kane-transfer-tottenham-man-city-b1895763.html

independent.co.uk
Harry Kane considers transfer request but ill-judged tactics only rile Daniel Levy
5-6 minutes
Harry Kane is considering an official transfer request, as he attempts to force a move to Emirates Marketing Project.

Some close to Tottenham Hotspur believe it could come in the next few days. The striker will at least return to the club in that time, in what will naturally be perceived as a u-turn.

Not many think any of this will have any tangible effect on the situation.

The truth is that only one thing changes that. That is Emirates Marketing Project putting in the kind of bid that Daniel Levy would find acceptable.

It is why, if the big question right now is how likely it is that Kane gets his move, many say the answer is that it just isn’t happening.

On City’s side, the hierarchy are currently considering what type of bid to submit. The club do have to balance Financial Fair Play requirements, and several sources say they can’t currently afford both Jack Grealish and Kane if it comes down to straight cash offers.

That might be different if City manage to off-load a player or two, and they had previously made all of Raheem Sterling, Riyad Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus and Aymeric Laporte available.

In a market where there is so little cash, though, all of the big clubs are struggling to sell players. It is why the expectation is that City will eventually submit a bid worth up to £150m, but with the value made up by players.

Two further factors complicate this, showing how far Kane is away from his dream move. One is that most of those players mentioned don’t want to drop out of the Champions League to play for Spurs. Why would any player willingly go? There are also questions over whether Spurs would even find them palatable.

When reports came out last week that the London club would agree to a sale, some senior figures appended laughing emojis to messages linking the stories. It was seen as preposterous.

Levy didn’t respond with laughter. He is said to have been furious, with his resolve to keep Kane only strengthened. The player is likely to be fined.

Many in the game have wondered about the tactics of the Kane camp throughout this.

One of the biggest questions is why his brother Charlie, who is his agent, hasn’t sought some outside help. It isn’t even necessarily a question of experience.

A super-agent with a lot of clients and influence, for example, could have gone to Levy with a lot more leverage. Agreements could have been struck about future deals. That’s how these agreements are generally struck. Personal favours and relationships are leaned on.

As it is, the Kanes have no leverage - beyond the notion of “a gentleman’s agreement”. That is just never going to trump the realities of contract law, and it remains baffling as to why the player agreed to a six-year deal in 2018.

It seemed woefully ill-advised at the time, no matter how good Spurs were under Mauricio Pochettino.

When it was announced, one elite coach - who has long coveted and admired Kane - quipped to a colleague: “congratulations, you’ve just signed up to six years of winning nothing.”

It seems like this might have belatedly dawned on Kane, his ambition for trophies only fired by how close England got in Euro 2020.

It has left a situation where the striker didn’t show up to the first two days of training. These were tactics that were just never going to work with Levy.

It is not just the attempt to strong-arm him. There’s also the potential precedent. It might even make this the important refusal of Levy's entire time in charge.

Given how strong the Spurs chairman has been in terms of holding wantaway players to contracts - as this situation brings to an extreme - it would set completely the wrong example to show that all they need to do is not turn up for training.

This is why Monday’s move was so baffling, particularly for a player seen as diligent and responsible as Kane.

To put it into context, it is not something Paul Pogba has ever considered - and that despite all of the comparatively unfair criticism he has received over his own desire to leave Manchester United. It should maybe change perceptions of both. Kane has certainly lost a lot of goodwill.

Monday’s move might have even upped any potential sale price by about £50m.

There’s another side to that, though.
City obviously greatly rate Kane and would love him at the right price. It’s just that "the right price" might be some way off Levy’s exorbitant demands when you take into account the fact that the striker is 28, in this market. City could just be better off waiting.

There’s also the fact that Pep Guardiola now wants a straight number nine, but Kane is really a “9.5”, who actively seeks to drop back into the areas that players like Kevin De Bruyne occupy.

Would this really be worth such an outlay?

Are the potential gains really worth the events of the last few days, and maybe putting in a transfer request?

It doesn’t feel like it. Many supporters are already enraged. Levy is emboldened.

The problem is that, right now, nobody sees Kane being a City player at the end of this window.
This is an excellent article I think. Though I disagree about the 'straight number 9' 'Kane is really a 9.5' bit.
Firstly I'm not sure that Pep actually really does want a straight number 9 and secondly Kane can play as a straight 9, a 10 or a 9.5 - that is a massive advantage and not a drawback of having him. He is a manager's dream in that he is so good in any of those positions.

It's not going to happen..... Laporte is probably a £50m player.

The difference is they are looking to sell him, we're not looking to sell Kane. If there are no other takers, Laporte could be a makeweight. Idk who we sign in attack though. That is the issue.

Look at it this way...if the Spanish clubs get their finances in order, competition to sign Kane next summer could be intense. There isn't another player like him available. With a few clubs competing for his signature, his price would be world-record fee, and so it should. Probably not 200m but not far short. Of course covid and current realities mean that is not happening now. But it could in a year's time. So...110m + bonuses up to 50m and Laporte is showing great creativity to make a deal happen. Are City willing to show that commitment? We have next summer and a better financial environment if not. Who's side are you on here?

Kane wanted to leave Spurs 1 year ago when we failed to qualify for the Champions League and he felt it was unlikely that we would get back in due to our team having weakened in comparison to our peers. I would imagine that Kane now wishes he had gone public with that a year ago instead of giving another year.

I think in your mind money is always the main thing. If we get (say) £160m for Kane then you would think that we have 'won' (or Levy) has won.

I just have a different opinion from you on what would constitute us 'winning' in this one. What we should be doing is what is best for the new manager and the team going forward. Getting (say) £130m and using that money on replacements who come in early enough so that the new manager is able to hit the ground running would be FAR better than us selling for £160m after the season has started, towards the end of the window and us then having to scramble around for a replacement that we would probably have to overpay for anyway. Yes if we sold for £130m it would seem that Levy had 'lost' but if that was early enough with us doing early enough business to strengthen overall then who gives a sh!t whether Levy 'wins' or 'loses' THFC would go into the season with a chance of having a good one.

Doing a deal now for (e.g.) Vlahovic for £80m less than we sell Kane for would leave us in an excellent position. We could then bring in two further top class first team players and be stronger overall, start the season well and perhaps even finish in the CL places.

£130M is still £30M away from anything that City have reportedly put forward.

It isn't about "winning", it's about doing the best thing for the club (and part of that is supporting the manager as best and early as possible), but part of it is precedent. Allowing our best player to leave to a low ball offer because he threw his toys out of the pram leaves us in a place where we have worked very hard to get away from (United & Chelsea generally stay to fudge away from us because they know they will get fleeced)

£130M cash +bonuses might fly, but see my first line, city is no where near that right now.

As usual with these sort of issues none of us are actually working with facts. However, with each passing day of ‘no show’ the possibility of Kane being on strike becomes massively more likely. At this point, it looks to me like the likeliest scenario. If it was an injury or extra time off then I’m sure the club would’ve commented. Their silence is rather noisy. I think that Kane has already done irreparable damage to his relationship with the Spurs fans and this also doesn’t look good for the captain of England. I don’t think many people would begrudge him leaving Spurs to win things elsewhere (despite the ‘cheat mode’ that city operates in). But doing it this way is a really low blow. It’s not quite RSol-esque but Harry needs to be very careful. I hope this is all a misunderstanding but I’m increasingly believing that HK is showing his true colours. The atmosphere on Sunday will be interesting!

Mate, there is a £30M-50M difference in valuation right now, that isn't the difference in ok, we will get it done early money.

Kane is vastly above THFC? fudging hilarious mate, THFC has put Kane is 2 PL title fights, a CL final and a Carling Cup final, not to mention 6+ more semi-finals, and guess what, he did fudge all. A prime Bale, Modric or Berbatov would have won those for us, him winning a trophy at City isn't Kane accomplishing brick, it's him letting others do the work for him.

Let me re-iterate, I have no problem selling Kane today, next week, whenever. But I have a real problem with letting him fudge us on the way out, and I see no leverage that he has that says we should. He wants to go, get City to pay up (I don't fudging care about their cash flow, or FFP position or if they can afford Kane and Grealish)

Let's ignore the Carling Cup final bit. Not even the chairman cares about that competition as evidenced by his actions this season.

We were reasonably involved in one title race only (we were never involved in the title race when we finished second to Chelsea) and we also got to a Champions League final which was incredible. However both of those happened under a fantastic coach who wasn't adequately backed if we wanted to take the next step. That was all quite a long time ago now as well....

Consider our team from back then and now.... Significantly weaker at right back, centre back, left back, central midfield, offensive midfield. The only two positions where we have stayed competitive with our competition is in goal and up front.

I don't think Kane would restrict himself to joining Emirates Marketing Project only. I think he would also be prepared to join Chelsea or Man Utd, probably even Liverpool, its just that Emirates Marketing Project seem to be the club who are most interested in him. Kane stayed with us while we were still in the Champions League, he also stayed for a further season when we failed to reach it (though he did ask to leave). Kane is an elite level player and elite level players want to be playing in the biggest competitions and fighting for the biggest trophies. Bale, Modric and Berbatov all came to the same conclusion as Harry Kane.... that they need to leave for a better club if they want to win the big trophies.

Back