• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

City are just plain weird in this... totally acting out of character.

The price we want is irrelevant to them. A bottomless pit of money allows them to pay whatever is required.

The price is relevant to us and the timing of the transfer is important for us. They are f.cking those two important markers up......and for what reason?.To save some pennies...give over. Weird.

I think its simply that *everyone* knows their financial position and they will know that if they end up spending record amounts for Kane, then it'll hold the same for everyone else that they want in future

To be fair to them, whilst they have spent extortionate amounts, they haven't until Grealish spent an amount on a single player which is eye-watering, even though they could do. Sterling, at the time they signed him, was probably the most headline grabbing amount

I think they fear that spending £150m on Kane changes that. The will be held to ransom in future

Plus there's the other issue for Pep - if he sanctions £150m being spent on Kane, there will be pressure for him to play him week in week out....which he might not want to do

The price we want is irrelevant to them. A bottomless pit of money allows them to pay whatever is required.

The price is relevant to us and the timing of the transfer is important for us. They are f.cking those two important markers up......and for what reason?.To save some pennies...give over. Weird.

I’m not sure it’s that out of character for City. While they’ve obviously thrown a lot of money over the years at the squad, they’ve never gone all out for a player. Grealish is, by a distance, their record signing at 100m. We’re asking them, rightly, to stump up 60% more than that for a lad who has just turned 28 and will have limited resale value.

Once they go over the 100 million mark twice in a window it’s game on for every other club when City come calling

They are trying to to stop this.

I think city paid way over the odds Grealish and £150m Harry is bonker.
I rate both players but …….

I think if you compared the Sterling price plus inflation in transfer fees since that time, you'd be somewhere around the Grealish fee IMO

I dont think that spending £100m on Grealish will cause them to be held to ransom in future, but spending £150m on Kane will do so

Sick and tired of the Kane brother's now, we really must sign a striker now and even if he does stay we need to start to transition away from our reliance on him over the season.

He can start putting it out there that Levy did this, Levy did that but I honestly don't think many Spurs fans buy it.

Won't put in a transfer request? well why not? Surely we could knock off the loyalty payment we would have to pay him with 3 years left on his deal from the fee and make it easier for him to go?*

*I obviously have fudge all idea how those work so that's probably total gonad*s...

Kane’s frustration largely appears to hinge on a meeting last year. The 28-year-old accepts that he has three years left on his contract but, according to sources close to him, he was told by Levy that Spurs would go all out to win a trophy and achieve a Champions League spot.
Kane’s understanding from the meeting was that if that did not happen – Spurs subsequently finished seventh in the Premier League in a disappointing campaign and lost the League Cup Final - he would be allowed to leave.

My bolded wording : that's a pretty vague statement, a rung or two below anything that would imply even a "gentleman's agreement". If Kane believes Levy has reneged on a promise, then why not say "at that meeting, Daniel Levy agreed Kane could leave the club if that did not happen"? It would still be naive to rely on a verbal agreement, and there would still be the matter of a fair value bid from City being needed, but at least it would be a clear statement from Kane's camp that the current situation is based on something definitive, rather than some vague interpretation.

This sounds like a last attempt to get fans back on side and to manipulate/tap into the bad feeling towards Levy that was so strong at the end of last season, in order to force Levy's hand. It's not going to work Harry.

As an afterthought : would it not be rather risky of Levy, knowing Kane wants to go to City, to say 'ok, you can go if we don't win a cup or get top 4'? Seeing as Kane is the player, or at least one of the players, best placed to actually make that happen? I don't believe Kane would have sabotaged the club's prospects to get his own way, but Levy would need to have that possibility in mind in any discussions.

I think DL and Kane had a frank talk. Part of the reason DL got Mourinho in was a last roll of the dice to win something. DL essentially said, look Harry give us a go with this new setup. If there is one manager who can bring success its Mourinho; and yes yes sure, if we're not winning by the end of the year we'll look at it...sell for an agreeable fee. Something to that effect. DLs focus was getting Kane settled for another year thinking we'd do much better, and Kane's was an exit strategy. Each took away their own points that they made from the meeting.

I think DL and Kane had a frank talk. Part of the reason DL got Mourinho in was a last roll of the dice to win something. DL essentially said, look Harry give us a go with this new setup. If there is one manager who can bring success its Mourinho; and yes yes sure, if we're not winning by the end of the year we'll look at it...sell for an agreeable fee. Something to that effect. DLs focus was getting Kane settled for another year thinking we'd do much better, and Kane's was an exit strategy. Each took away their own points that they made from the meeting.

People always hear what they want, that's why you write brick down. What's annoying me about what passes for journalism in sport is the one question that is not asked by anyone

- Harry, in that gentleman's agreement conversation, did you discuss the price?

That fudging simple, we are willing to sell is not equal to we are going to get fudged out of £30-£50M the club will need both to replace you and to recover in Covid times.

I think its simply that *everyone* knows their financial position and they will know that if they end up spending record amounts for Kane, then it'll hold the same for everyone else that they want in future

To be fair to them, whilst they have spent extortionate amounts, they haven't until Grealish spent an amount on a single player which is eye-watering, even though they could do. Sterling, at the time they signed him, was probably the most headline grabbing amount

I think they fear that spending £150m on Kane changes that. The will be held to ransom in future

Plus there's the other issue for Pep - if he sanctions £150m being spent on Kane, there will be pressure for him to play him week in week out....which he might not want to do

I’m not sure it’s that out of character for City. While they’ve obviously thrown a lot of money over the years at the squad, they’ve never gone all out for a player. Grealish is, by a distance, their record signing at 100m. We’re asking them, rightly, to stump up 60% more than that for a lad who has just turned 28 and will have limited resale value.

Once they go over the 100 million mark twice in a window it’s game on for every other club when City come calling

They are trying to to stop this.
But the price is the price. For a top 3 world striker.

Most people will think our valuation (let's say £150m) is fair.

It could equally be argued Grealish is £20m too much.

They're not being held to ransom, in anyway whatsoever.

They are not

- City were interested in VVD and other players in the past, and let them go for a far less gap between their valuation and final price than there is with Kane.
- They just strolled the league with the false 9 brick, PSG is likely favorites for CL, next year Haaland and Mbappe are on market for far less.
- Repeat ad nauseum, Kane isn't a Pep type player, I think Pep (like any manager) will take him in squad, but isn't desperate for him.
- As others have said, precedent setting (like everyone knows you can fleece United)
- I'd also add I'm not sure they want the PR of spending £250M on two players in a covid world.

So summary, at a cut price deal = yes, top dollar = no, and if Kane and Charlie are doing all the dirty work and taking the reputation hit to get that cut price deal = why not keep it rolling.

But the price is the price. For a top 3 world striker.

Most people will think our valuation (let's say £150m) is fair.

It could equally be argued Grealish is £20m too much.

They're not being held to ransom, in anyway whatsoever.

The price at £150M is a Covid affected price, it would be £180-£200M normally for a top 3 striker with 3 years left on contract.

Market value gap between Kane and Grealish is £55M, hence £150M-£160M is absolutely fair.

They are not

- City were interested in VVD and other players in the past, and let them go for a far less gap between their valuation and final price than there is with Kane.
- They just strolled the league with the false 9 brick, PSG is likely favorites for CL, next year Haaland and Mbappe are on market for far less.
- Repeat ad nauseum, Kane isn't a Pep type player, I think Pep (like any manager) will take him in squad, but isn't desperate for him.
- As others have said, precedent setting (like everyone knows you can fleece United)
- I'd also add I'm not sure they want the PR of spending £250M on two players in a covid world.

So summary, at a cut price deal = yes, top dollar = no, and if Kane and Charlie are doing all the dirty work and taking the reputation hit to get that cut price deal = why not keep it rolling.
I disagree to a point.

The City I've seen...sign their targets with little fuss and fanfare. Most likely because they readily meet a price (and probably payment structure) that's agreeable with the selling club.

This situation is no different. The amount is more, yes, but so it should be.

If they (or pep) are not sold on the player 100%...that's another story. Fwiw he's sounded a long term admirer of Kane. I agree, the circumstances, out of Kane's control, (Mbappe Halaand etc) aren't in his favour.

Even if they did get him for £125 that's £225 with Grealish...so the 'Covid world' point is moot.

Got to say Levy has played a blinder here.
It was open civil war against him/ENIC at the end of last season.

The Kane brothers have between them managed to unite the Spurs fans in Levy's corner.

Media silence when Kane went on un-approved extended leave was a masterstroke. It was effectively withdrawing club support and allowing Kane to see how perception changes when the narrative isn't being carefully controlled by the club.

The pair of them are so blinded by their desire to move (human nature of course) that they can't see from Spurs POV that the offers so far are derisory and way below his actual value.

I've tried not to comment as I've understood Kane's desire to move. Many of us fans were deeply unhappy with the state of affairs from February onwards last season - part of a longer malaise going back to Poch's last days. He should be playing in the CL every season and breaking records. The club have regressed massively over the last 18 months. But from the Neville interview onwards his side have handled things so badly that he's even turned the likes of me.

It wouldn't surprise me if Levy now refused to deal with Kane directly and pointed him to Paratici for all future club discussions. It would be a nice slap-down to remind him that at the end of the day he's just a club employee.

I think we'll keep him for another year but I imagine plans are already afoot to replace him and when he goes, it will be on our terms. I suspect he'll end up somewhere other than City, maybe United. And perhaps under OGS he'll be destined to come up just short again in cup finals and the league. We can only hope ;)

This really is getting boring now, the sooner the transfer window closes the better
It was getting boring weeks ago:D

Have to credit the media for continuously sensationalising a story day after day when in reality very little has changed over the past couple of months. Kane wants to leave, City have bid rejected, Kane plays up and still wants to leave, City refuse to pay up asking price. How they’ve managed to drag out hundreds of articles based on that I’ll never know, but fair play to them - special shout out to Kane and his PR team of course…..

Feeling more than a trifle angry now, with a side helping of boredom.

This is deliberate sabotaging of our new season and I feel the most for Nuno who has arrived into this storm and handled things amazingly.

nothing has changed for me, pay the fee or fudge off down the road and keep quiet.

But no, more dirty underhand tactics involving the press, and they still haven’t learnt that these tactics do not work with Levy.

he seems to not give 2 shets about his relationship with us, so I couldn’t give a monkey uncle about what he wants.

would prefer to watch Steve,moura and sonny giving us everything rather than a selfish money obsessed nobber.

If any of that is true (massive "if") I don't understand what Kane's problem is.

He can leave - as soon as someone stumps up the asking price. If City had bid £3.50 and a bag of crisps (£3,50 for our innumerate European friends) then he wouldn't expect us to just accept the offer, so why would he with any other insultingly low number?

If Levy agreed Kane can leave if City pay £160M, then until City stump that amount up Kane can STFU.

If Kane agreed this with Levy and didn't set a figure, then he's as dumb as his brother.

The only scenario where Kane has a point is if he and Levy agreed a figure below what City have offered so far. I suspect if that were the case, Charlie would have got his crayons and his Fisher Price typewriter out and sent out a press release for us to all try and translate into English.

Not to be pedantic, but I will be as I'm bored, that's still £3.50 even for your European friends as it's Sterling. Localisation.

Back