• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

What the World Thinks of Harry Kane
DEAN JONES
OCTOBER 4, 2017

Harry Kane is English football's man of the moment. He scored 13 goals from eight games during September and is once again being spoken about as the Premier League's golden boy.

But while he bangs in goals for Tottenham Hotspur and sets himself apart as one of Europe's most prolific front men, he still seems some way from being considered an elite striker in global terms.

In the way Romelu Lukaku or Sergio Aguero are recognised and worshipped, Kane isn't. Why not, though?

His numbers are every bit as good—or better—than other top players across Europe's top clubs, so I have been speaking to fans, journalists and bloggers across the globe to explore the question: How far is he from becoming a tier-one star?

We begin our journey in Europe and a view from La Liga, which rivals the Premier League as the best in the world.

Ultimately, it is Barcelona and Real Madrid that are set aside for true recognition of an iconic forward, and Kieran Canning, Spanish sports correspondent for AFP, believes Kane has an upcoming opportunity to prove he is worthy of a place at the top table of the world's elite front men.

"Kane tends to get relatively little coverage over here in Spain," he said. "I would expect to see much more analysis and talk about him in the lead-up to the Madrid game in a few weeks, though.

"If he does well against Madrid in the two games and goes on to have a really good Champions League, I think we'll start to see rumours of Madrid being interested. They definitely need a No. 9, and I think they'll go for a big one next summer.

"Kane fits the age profile, but they are wary about dealing with Spurs and [chairman] Daniel Levy from their experience with Gareth Bale."

It makes sense that, for all the headlines and plaudits Kane has received in England, there has not been that standout moment that would catapult him into the global conversation.

Champions League goals can change that, and with five to his name already this season, Kane may be on the path to changing the perception of him. In Germany, his performances against Borussia Dortmund have already begun to earn more appreciation.

Bundesliga expert Archie Rhind-Tutt watched Kane make a big impact as he scored twice in a 3-1 win on September 13.

"I would say he is the only England player who would get into the Germany team at present," he said. "He is not particularly popular, but he has a growing respect given his performances against German teams."

Michel Munger, editor-in-chief at Bayern Central, has been equally impressed.

"What Kane did against Dortmund certainly showed us how the Tottenham striker is rising—he's so clinical," he said.

"Whether he could perform that way at a top club remains to be seen, though. The constant pressure of playing for a team such as Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona or another can test someone's character in a different way."

Everyone still seems to have doubts over the 24-year-old. The truth is he can only answer questions by being given the platform to do so, and he has certainly done that in domestic football. From a one-season wonder, he is now in his fourth term as a prolific scorer.

He scored 38 for Spurs and England last season and bagged 32 the year before. He hit 32 in his 2014/15 breakout year. Those are significant numbers, yet the factor of popularity still stands out.

How far is he from reaching iconic level? In the United States, where football continues to experience major growth, Kane remains relatively unknown outside of the fanatics.

Kevin Baxter, sportswriter for the Los Angeles Times, explained about the work Kane still has to do to make a breakthrough in the U.S.

"I can't recall ever seeing anyone in a Kane shirt out here," he said. "There is a small boy in our neighbourhood who has a dazzling array of Chicharito jerseys. But I can't recall seeing a Kane one.

"For a standout player from a major club, it seems to me that Harry Kane has an unexpectedly small global profile. Tottenham haven't broken through into the mainstream consciousness like a Chelsea or a Manchester United.

"And Tottenham and Kane haven't had a magical imagination-capturing season as Leicester and Jamie Vardy did.

"There's no question Kane is one of the elite stars of the game. But he needs a 'spotlight' moment to break through to the next level and be more than just a great player."

It's a similar story in Egypt, according to FilGoal journalist Fady Ashraf. There is a fanatical following of the Premier League, but Kane is admired rather than idolised.

"He is captain on pretty much everyone's fantasy team here," he said. "But people wear Lukaku's shirt because they support United, or Aguero's shirt because they support City.

"Finding a Spurs fan in Egypt is a very hard thing. And if you do find an Egyptian wearing a Spurs shirt, it'd be an old Mido or Hossam Ghaly shirt.

"I have stumbled upon many Twitter conversations comparing Kane to Alan Shearer, so he is admired here. But for Egyptian fans of the Premier League, he is not a cult hero like Lukaku."

Expanding the test of Kane's popularity, I spoke to three Brazilian football fans about how he is perceived in one of the world's greatest footballing nations.

"He is a deadly striker, top class," said Matheus Masello. "But, in my view, he probably lacks the hype that top players have, and he doesn't really dribble. People wouldn't portray him as skillful, as you would expect in a Brazilian forward."

Lucas Sant’Anna, an Arsenal and Botafogo fan, said: "Harry Kane is the best striker in the Premier League in my opinion. He is more effective and more important than all of his competitors."

Flamengo supporter Lucas Civale said: "I consider Kane as one of the top five strikers in the world today. He is absolutely lethal."

"I believe that if he had swagger, he would be more popular—which is a shame," Masello added.

Maybe it is an image issue then, rather than anything to do with his footballing ability.

Sebastian Reyes from Chile spoke to a group of friends about Kane and the compliments that came back were eyebrow-raising. The words "monster" and "90 overall" (like a FIFA rating) stood out.

Reyes said: "Most of my friends, and me, feel that if Kane is able to shine in more Champions League games, he has all the tools to deliver, just like Bale did for Tottenham."

Bale's big moment came in October 2010. With Spurs 4-0 down at half-time against Inter Milan, the Welshman turned around the outlook of the tie single-handedly with a stunning second-half hat-trick. I was at the San Siro that night, and it was a truly amazing performance that raised his profile significantly.

Spurs fans believe Kane also has the Bale-type X-factor that so many fans of other clubs seem to think is missing.

Malaysian supporter Hairie Hashim described how Kane had become a superstar because of the "fighter" attributes he picked up during loan spells.

Australian Tottenham follower Brodie Newman told me about how he "scores all types of goals and continues to improve."

And Shinya Akasaka from Japan highlighted fact he doesn't act or play like a superstar. "He still does the horrible parts of a forward's job," he said.

Generally speaking, though, most neutral fans have the view of Nigerian journalist Michael Oti Adjei. "Here he is regarded as a good striker, but there is general perception that he will need to do it a higher level or with a much bigger club to be considered a real superstar."

So, it seems Kane has two options if he wants to be considered one of the biggest names in the game: achieve global stardom by winning the Premier League for Spurs or pass up his loyalty to the club and make the leap to join an established elite club.

Manchester United and Chelsea already have a keen interest and perhaps would be more convinced about his pedigree than those on the continent.

You get the feeling the rest of Europe would be more cagey and likely to take the view of French Telefoot broadcaster Julien Maynard, who said he is not yet a top player.

"In my opinion, he is a very good player but not an elite, like Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo," he said. "If the names I just told you about are among the best, then I consider him in the lower category. And as PSG now become a more and more important club, for me he can't join the team.

"But he is still young. Maybe in three or four years he will get more experienced with Tottenham and his national team, and he will become one of the top players."

Three or four more years of proving himself? It seems we will be waiting a little longer for Kane to get the worldwide recognition he deserves.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2736602-what-the-world-thinks-of-harry-kane

----------------------------------------------------------

It is clear the majority of the football world will only accept Kane as a top player if Spurs win a major trophy like the PL title. Who can blame them, with us only winning 2 League Cup trophies in the last 25 years. After challenging for the league title for the past 2 seasons, it will be disappointing if a player like Kane doesn't go on to win at least 1 league title with us.

The rest of the world knows jack sh!t. I don't care if glory seeking Utd, Liverpoo and Chelsea fans in Asia and the middle east know about him. I know even less about their favourite snake catcher or mixed martial artists. Barca and Real fans are probably worse than Chelsea and Chity fans. They've had things going their way forever and pluck special players from every other team. Real in particular haven't adhered to any financial fair play regulations for decades. Sh!t fans and disgustingly run club.

Anyone worth their salt in the football world appreciates what a special player Kane is.

At what point does Kane become our captain?
Will he have to wait for Loris to leave or no longer be first GK, or is there likely an agreement that Kane will take the role before then?
I imagine Kane would love to be leading the team out in the first home game at the new stadium, but that might be too soon (unless Loris is happy to hand over the mantle).
It's inevitable that he will captain the club, just a matter of when.

Strangely I’ve jusg been in Holland Belgium for work and they know of Kane... he’ll they were talking about how good he is and why he is the best striker in the world.

I also had a chat with a colleague in Cyprus who hates Kane as he is an arsenal fan... you only hate the good players

And where that article failed miserably was when it talked about Lukaku being a name... this is a guy who has hardly played in Europe and never won a thing. Yes he is at united but he isn’t/ hasn’t been a guarantee starter for those Football giants Belgium. Add in the dribble about our position in the states where we are A very big side and it just fails as a report for me

Kane saying he won't rule out a move abroad at some point. That is of course inevitable.....

I don't think Kane moving abroad is inevitable. I believe a lot will depend on how we progress as a club and whether we can help him achieve his ambitions here. He's certainly after club and league goal scoring records. Of course, he may well want the challenge of playing abroad at some point but unlike say Dele, I don't see it as necessarily inevitable.
Of course, what is inevitable is that when he is asked that question, he will say that he won't rule it out.

Strangely I’ve jusg been in Holland Belgium for work and they know of Kane... he’ll they were talking about how good he is and why he is the best striker in the world.

I also had a chat with a colleague in Cyprus who hates Kane as he is an arsenal fan... you only hate the good players

And where that article failed miserably was when it talked about Lukaku being a name... this is a guy who has hardly played in Europe and never won a thing. Yes he is at united but he isn’t/ hasn’t been a guarantee starter for those Football giants Belgium. Add in the dribble about our position in the states where we are A very big side and it just fails as a report for me
There's your answer. And who cares what the rest of the world thinks about Kane! It's better this way, the less hype about him, the less rumours and distractions. Had Kane been the the kind of footballer that attended parties and created headlines in the wrong way, he'd been a global superstar already, but less of a footballer. The fact that he just works hard at getting better, and doesn't show off in any way, makes him "boring" and not very interesting for the headline hunting media and mainstream.

I'd rather keep it the way it is.

It was the same with Shearer. He never truly had a global profile despite plundering all those goals and becoming the record PL goalscorer.

I don't think it will bother Harry if he doesn't receive the global recognition or fame. He is simply after the goals, breaking records and winning some trophies.

We'll see what they think after his performances in Russia next year.

Not that bothered what they all think, though, more interested in him remaining as 'One of our own'.

I don't think Kane moving abroad is inevitable. I believe a lot will depend on how we progress as a club and whether we can help him achieve his ambitions here. He's certainly after club and league goal scoring records. Of course, he may well want the challenge of playing abroad at some point but unlike say Dele, I don't see it as necessarily inevitable.
Of course, what is inevitable is that when he is asked that question, he will say that he won't rule it out.
Fair enough, I can only say I disagree! I think its inevitable, but not until later on when he is say 28ish. He will want to smash records here, but his attitude,appetite,desire,dedication,ambition is a cut above most English players for me and I do think he will want to prove himself at one of the very elite eventually....

Harry wants to break the PL goal record. To do that he wont be able to go to a european club until he is over 30 years old. Thats even if he wants to go which i very much doubt anyway. He is just politely keeping all options open and making sure Levy is kept on his toes regarding regular contract upgrades.;)

Harry wants to break the PL goal record. To do that he wont be able to go to a european club until he is over 30 years old. Thats even if he wants to go which i very much doubt anyway. He is just politely keeping all options open and making sure Levy is kept on his toes regarding regular contract upgrades.;)
When has Kane actually said he wants to stay in PL and break the goal record? Even if he doesnt currently have major aspirations to go abroad, when Real Madrid or Barca make it known you are the guy they want as their main man it is very hard to turn down. Its naive to think Kane is just going to stay here forever because he spent his time here from when he was a kid, and considering how unlikely it is we sell to a domestic rival it is likely one day he will go to one of Europes' elite....

That article is more about him being a media star than footballer.

This. It's a sad, sad fact of modern day football that however well you perform, you'll have to join a "big"/rich/fashionable club to be properly recognised for your on field qualities.

We've seen it before; both Berbatov and Bale were consistently playing at a very high, arguably world class level before they left for Manure and Real. Yet the overall praise for their talent increased tenfold when they left us, while their performances certainly didn't skyrocket accordingly.

GHod knows where Barca will be playing if Catalonia get independence. And RM might not be the draw it is now if their league splinters.

Kane will give us 3-4 years before deciding his next destination IMO, and depending how we are doing then he'll either stay or go. I do think trophies more than money/prestige will be the determining factor in his decision.

It's one thing saying you're happy with you are whilst rumours of bigger clubs showing interest are just rumours, it's a completely different animal when the likes of Real Madrid actually make an offer and you have a big decision to make and you don't want to have any regrets about turning such a big club down. I'd like to think he will stay with us for his entire career but I'm not banking on it.

Kane has been the most consistent striker in the Premier League over the past 3 seasons and has been our best player in that time-frame.

When has Kane actually said he wants to stay in PL and break the goal record? Even if he doesnt currently have major aspirations to go abroad, when Real Madrid or Barca make it known you are the guy they want as their main man it is very hard to turn down. Its naive to think Kane is just going to stay here forever because he spent his time here from when he was a kid, and considering how unlikely it is we sell to a domestic rival it is likely one day he will go to one of Europes' elite....

Shearer remains top of the division’s all-time scoring list with 260 and Kane says he is inspired by the former Saudi Sportswashing Machine man’s record.

“It’s a lot of goals and I’m still a long way off but Shearer was an idol of mine growing up, to see how many goals he scored was incredible,” Kane said. “I take it season by season. I don’t like looking too far ahead because you never know what can happen.

“But is it good to aim for? Definitely, they’re the goals you dream of. When you’re a younger player, you watch them scoring goals week in and week out, so to be doing that now is a dream come true.”

-------------------------------------------

Asked by Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, who himself scored 175 goals in just 258 games, if he could beat Shearer, Kane said: ‘I think I can. ‘It’s obviously easier to say that now. I think a lot can happen.

‘Yeah, I think I can. I think I’m on 69 [sic] goals now and need another 190 odd but I back myself. ‘I’ve never backed down from a challenge and I have full belief in myself and my ability and it’s a target hopefully I can reach.’

Back