• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

I base it on chairman is offered 48 million for a young striker who may or may not be a one season wonder and i think he'd be tempted to sell.

As lots of people have already pointed out; Levy has no record of selling a key player unless the player in question is clearly angling for a move. It doesn't happen, whether it's a "potential one season wonder" or not; he doesn't sell key players who openly declare a wish to stay. But despite this, you keep saying Levy would be tempted.

He wouldn't be tempted (by a £48m bid for Kane) because it doesn't make any sense for him to be tempted. If he sold Kane for £48m he would be selling the team's talisman, its star player, its only striker, and a big part of its current "brand". It would completely undermine the momentum we have around the coach's Youth Project, would almost certainly alienate Pochettino permanently and plunge the club into a crisis right when everything seems to be going so well (and when we're in the midst of sponsorship negotiations) resulting in exactly the kind of media nightmare that the club doesn't need.

And all for what? If he sold our only striker he'd have to put the vast majority of that fee back into buying players. So we get £50m for Kane... we'll have to spend at least £30-£35m on strikers to replace him (and Ade / Soldado). So we'd probably only make £15m profit when "the Kane money" gets spent on new strikers.

Love him or hate him, I don't know anyone who thinks Levy's not a fairly shrewd businessman - but you think in this era of new TV money, he'd be tempted to throw the entire future of the club into doubt for £15m? Wouldn't even cross his mind to be so short-sighted.

Last edited:
galeforce is bored and is on a wind up

nope, I've argued in this thread before that you can't dismiss the suggestion out of hand

at the end of the day it's business, everything boils down to a number, every player has a value that can be calculated (by smarter people than me) to the euro, if the bid exceeds that we should always sell, in my opinion

nope, I've argued in this thread before that you can't dismiss the suggestion out of hand

at the end of the day it's business, everything boils down to a number, every player has a value that can be calculated (by smarter people than me) to the euro, if the bid exceeds that we should always sell, in my opinion
Don't get me wrong. Every player has his price. I'm just pointing out that Levy would not be tempted to sell Kane to a direct rival for less than £50m. I know what a massive sum of money that is; but in the current climate and given everything at stake for the club, it doesn't represent even close to what Kane is worth to us right now.

Plus..even if we did get £45m for Kane, is there any guarantee that we would spend the money wisely?! Just look the monumental piles of excretement that we bought when Bale left! That didn't work out so well.

Kane is worth far more than £45m to our team, even if that exceeds his market value. He is an apparently settled striker, with a big future ahead of him, a key part of our team & a big icon for the club. That's not easily replaced.

So unless Kane threatens to dump excretement all over Levy's family's pillows every night, because he can't move, then I suggest that Kane is not for sale at any price.

surely it depends on the figure, what if City come in and offer 100m+, should it still just be disregarded immediately?

And surely even hypothetical scenarios must have at least some basis in reality?

Even a £50m bid for a player who has only one great season under his belt would be stretching the bounds of credibility to near its limit. And why would Levy sell at that price? He has no need to. He has already seen that even £85m for a talismanic player can be a poor exchange.

Now consider why Kane might be so important to Spurs (and Levy):

- He is one of our own (the poster boy for our academy)
- He loves and identifies with the club (so might not be in such a rush to move on to bigger things)
- He is our most recognised player and embodies what Spurs wants to be and how the club wants to be seen (our brand's most valuable current asset)
- He is potentially world class (we have difficulty enough signing such players so must make the most of those we have)
- He is a striker with a wide range of skills and a knack for all sorts of goals (and we have difficulty enough signing those such players too)
- He is captain material (stories from last season suggest a forceful and positive presence behind the scenes)
- He is, to all intents and purposes, the only striker that we have (so selling him on the eve of the season is inconceivable - however low your opinion of Levy's transfer decision making)

And, lastly, consider why selling him without the need to do so might prove catastrophic:

- It would likely confirm all the fans' worst prejudices about Levy (leading to a toxic atmosphere in the stadium)
- It would likely hit their morale for six (leading to a decreased demand for tickets)
- It would likely send out entirely the wrong message to existing players, potential targets, potential fans and sponsors (leading to no end of adverse consequences)
- It would likely harm the team (leading to yet more of the adverse consequences listed above)

As lots of people have already pointed out; Levy has no record of selling a key player unless the player in question is clearly angling for a move. It doesn't happen, whether it's a "potential one season wonder" or not; he doesn't sell key players who openly declare a wish to stay. But despite this, you keep saying Levy would be tempted.

He wouldn't be tempted (by a £48m bid for Kane) because it doesn't make any sense for him to be tempted. If he sold Kane for £48m he would be selling the team's talisman, it's star player, it's only striker, and a big part of it's current "brand". It would completely undermine the momentum we have around the coach's Youth Project, would almost certainly alienate Pochettino permanently and plunge the club into a crisis right when everything seems to be going so well (and when we're in the midst of sponsorship negotiations) resulting in exactly the kind of media nightmare that the club doesn't need.

And all for what? If he sold our only striker he'd have to put the vast majority of that fee back into buying players. So we get £50m for Kane... we'll have to spend at least £30-£35m on strikers to replace him (and Ade / Soldado). So we'd probably only make £15m profit when "the Kane money" gets spent on new strikers.

Love him or hate him, I don't know anyone who thinks Levy's not a fairly shrewd businessman - but you think in this era of new TV money, he'd be tempted to throw the entire future of the club into doubt for £15m? Wouldn't even cross his mind to be so short-sighted.

I'm getting told he won't be tempted not gonna happen etc I hear that I'm against selling him but all I'm saying if a bid large enough was made who's to say he won't be tempted to sell. I can't be 100% certain it would be dismissed or accepted only Levy can.

Same way we approach targets clubs here's a bid will you sell yes or no ? Chairman of said club may or may not be tempted to sell.

It's highly unlikely he will be sold I agree all I have said is I think if the price is right Levy may be tempted to sell every player has a price.

And surely even hypothetical scenarios must have at least some basis in reality?

Even a £50m bid for a player who has only one great season under his belt would be stretching the bounds of credibility to near its limit. And why would Levy sell at that price? He has no need to. He has already seen that even £85m for a talismanic player can be a poor exchange.

Now consider why Kane might be so important to Spurs (and Levy):

- He is one of our own (the poster boy for our academy)
- He loves and identifies with the club (so might not be in such a rush to move on to bigger things)
- He is our most recognised player and embodies what Spurs wants to be and how the club wants to be seen (our brand's most valuable current asset)
- He is potentially world class (we have difficulty enough signing such players so must make the most of those we have)
- He is a striker with a wide range of skills and a knack for all sorts of goals (and we have difficulty enough signing those such players too)
- He is captain material (stories from last season suggest a forceful and positive presence behind the scenes)
- He is, to all intents and purposes, the only striker that we have (so selling him on the eve of the season is inconceivable - however low your opinion of Levy's transfer decision making)

And, lastly, consider why selling him without the need to do so might prove catastrophic:

- It would likely confirm all the fans' worst prejudices about Levy (leading to a toxic atmosphere in the stadium)
- It would likely hit their morale for six (leading to a decreased demand for tickets)
- It would likely send out entirely the wrong message to existing players, potential targets, potential fans and sponsors (leading to no end of adverse consequences)
- It would likely harm the team (leading to yet more of the adverse consequences listed above)

all sound reasons, but every one can just be offset by more cash on the fee, everything has a price

this goes for every player not just Kane

that we all want him to stay and continue to be brilliant whilst we have grown impatient with others doesn't change the economic calculation of the situation

I "liked" how the commentator just pretended like nothing today after the game when Kane was clearly in view in a Spurs jersey for everyone to see out on the pitch, after having "confirmed" that Kane had left the building for a move to United only a little hour earlier. fudging gimp.

I'm getting told he won't be tempted not gonna happen etc I hear that I'm against selling him but all I'm saying if a bid large enough was made who's to say he won't be tempted to sell. I can't be 100% certain it would be dismissed or accepted only Levy can.
That's not what you were saying though. You were saying if a bid of £48m was made he'd be tempted to sell. That's a different statement altogether. What the rest of us are saying is that £48m doesn't represent anything close to Kane's unique current value to Spurs and would therefore not tempt Levy. But if "a bid large enough" came in, then by definition it would be "large enough" to tempt Levy. We're just saying £48m is not large enough.

the commentator on the milan game just said man utd have offered 40mill for Kane...

I'd be astonished if we accepted.
depends how you define key, they were all regularly involved when fit

It does depend on how you define key. A key player for me is someone that is a starter pretty much every time that they are fit. Of the list that you provided, none of them were regular starters at the time that they left.

Huddlestone - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-tottenham-boss-andre-villasboas-8771042.html - Huddlestone saying he wasn't given a fair chance.

Dawson - http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-hull-city-complete-signing-of-michael-dawson - Dawson saying he wanted regular football.

Dempsey - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/07/clint-dempsey-seattle-sounders-tottenham-hotspur - article saying that spurs transfer listed him

Sigurdsson - http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/gylfi-first-interview-1777696.aspx#IiJTER9Dv92UuMgY.99 - “I really enjoyed my time at Spurs. It was tough leaving a club that I’ve enjoyed playing for over the last few years, but as soon as Swansea came in it was an easy decision to make.”

I completely agree with your point about every player having a price. I'm pretty sure Levy would have a price much higher than £40m for Kane just because of what he would have to do to replace and the time that it would take to replace.

all sound reasons, but every one can just be offset by more cash on the fee, everything has a price

Even if you could put a price on everything that Kane gives us, I am absolutely confident that that price would be far beyond anything that any other club would be prepared to offer for a player with a mere one season of great form under his belt.

The reason being, of course, that Kane is far, far more valuable to us than he could ever be to any other club, however rich.

Even if you could put a price on everything that Kane gives us, I am absolutely confident that that price would be far beyond anything that any other club would be prepared to offer for a player with a mere one season of great form under his belt.

The reason being, of course, that Kane is far, far more valuable to us than he could ever be to any other club, however rich.

then you don't sell

but, if the offer is higher, of course you bloody do

these are volatile assets, their value can be wiped out in an instant, sell over value, buy under value and your team will perform positively long term relative to its resources

I base it on chairman is offered 48 million for a young striker who may or may not be a one season wonder and i think he'd be tempted to sell.
And if indeed a bid was being lined up it seems I would not be the only one who believes Levy would be tempted.

Most of the dosh Levy got for Bale might just as well have been confetti for all the good it did us. Surely he will have learnt his lesson?

then you don't sell

but, if the offer is higher, of course you bloody do

these are volatile assets, their value can be wiped out in an instant, sell over value, buy under value and your team will perform positively long term relative to its resources

But that's precisely the point.

In the real - rather than hypothetical - world, no club will offer us what Kane is worth to us, let alone more than what he is worth. He could never be as valuable to any other team as he is, currently, to us.

That is why he won't be sold.

I'd love to see what Levy would do if United up their current offer of £42m.

There is no way anyone can say for sure he'd say no.

Most of the dosh Levy got for Bale might just as well have been confetti for all the good it did us. Surely he will have learnt his lesson?

there were lessons on both sides of that
But that's precisely the point.

In the real - rather than hypothetical - world, no club will offer us what Kane is worth to us, let alone more than what he is worth. He could never be as valuable to any other team as he is, currently, to us.

That is why he won't be sold.

my feeling is that Levy's calculations are based on different data to ours

firstly, I'd be surprised if there was such a large bid at this stage of his career

secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if we did accept it

I'd love to see what Levy would do if United up their current offer of £42m.

There is no way anyone can say for sure he'd say no.

Of course no one could say for sure he'd say no. It's a bit like how no one can say for sure that Benteke would have signed for us if we had just offered the money, or David Villa would have signed for us if we had just offered the money, but it does not, and should not, stop people from speculating. With that we will get some wild speculation (based on little or no evidence i.e. Levy would sell Kane of a bid of £42m came in) to some more prudent speculation (based on some evidence i.e. Ade will not leave the club unless he is in no way adversely affected financially).

Back