• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Happy Klinsmanniversary - 20 years ago today, Jurgen taught the yids to play

at the time he was still the best number 9 in the world, I know bale ascended to that kinda level and maybe Modric as well but spurs hadn't signed a player at that level since Lineker, it was a huge huge deal and fair play to sugar for jumping on inters failings so decisively

He is the reason I started supporting Spurs. That was the first season we got coverage of the EPL in the U.S. and I'd admired him in the 1990 + 1994 world cups.

And the moment the hook was well and truly set for me:

[video=youtube;GtD3TmFK3pA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtD3TmFK3pA[/video]

You do recall correctly! Perfectly weighted pass for Sheringham who put his shot in off the post.

I read it on tele-text and was sure it was a joke. Could not believe it. When they confirmed it on the sports news later on, my neighbour (also a Spurs-fan) and I had a spontaneous little football party out in the street.

It's funny that we still remember that. :lol:
I found out about it on Teletext too. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Great thread!

I was on holiday with the parents in Ireland and we were driving down in the morning from Connemara to Waterford for the 2nd week of our holiday. We were listening to radio five but the reception was really bad and kept fading in and out. They came to the news and led with spurs had pulled off an amazing coup, but we lost reception again before we found out who and didn't get it back till after the feature was finished!! So dad pulled off at the nearest services so we could check the paper and we saw klinsmann had signed, amazing moment, we were shouting like we'd just won the cup in this service station. I was 14 at the time, a perfect age for hero worship I think!

Great piece of father son bonding!

I was on a family holiday at the time and first I knew about the signing was when I went to buy a newspaper and saw the photo of Klinsmann shaking hands with Sugar aboard his yacht!

I was in Denmark on holiday at a mate's house. She was on the phone so the telly was on mute. All I saw was Klinsmann walking out at - I think - Villa Park. Must've been when he was playing at Inter(?). But it wasn't in an Inter shirt so I was gobsmacked... Villa have signed Klinsmann?! No way! Couldn't believe it for most of the rest of the day. Then watched the sports news in the evening and was even more gobsmacked to find he's signed for Spurs! Happy days!

I was at my mate's and we were playing football in his garden. His mum told me we'd signed Klinsmann but I didn't believe it until I read it on Ceefax!

I'd been down the local park playing football and me a few mates got back and one of my friends Mums told us, I remember it so vividly, an incredible signing.

We then played Watford in a pre-season friendly at Vicaridge Road which I think may have been a sell out due to Klinsmann making his debut, I remember being really annoyed he didn't score in that game!

I'd been down the local park playing football and me a few mates got back and one of my friends Mums told us, I remember it so vividly, an incredible signing.

We then played Watford in a pre-season friendly at Vicaridge Road which I think may have been a sell out due to Klinsmann making his debut, I remember being really annoyed he didn't score in that game!

Didn't he score the perfect hat trick in a friendly against watford?!

Always bugs me the reverence he gets on here. Stayed one year, we helped get him back in the limelight and then he buggered off first chance he could. Came back to help us stay up but we was doing him the favour again. hardly lit it up apart from the 4 goal haul on the last game.

Good player. Good finisher. Buggered off.

Exactly. In his one and only full season at Spurs he was on top form no doubt although a lot of that was down to his partnership with Sheringham. When it became obvious we were not going to qualify for Europe he couldn't get away quick enough.

When he came back in 97/98 he was a shadow of the player he once was and didn't have Teddy to link up with. He scored four goals against Wimbledon in an important win towards the end of that season but that was all he did. In fact if I remember correctly his arrogance in the dressing room caused unrest and Ginola certainly wasn't impressed by his attitude.

However all this does not stop some people going on about him as if he is up there as a Spurs legend in the same company as Blanchflower, Greaves, Hoddle, Ardiles etc.

Happy days! I can't remember the 'jfk' moment. Just that time. The excitement. Tabliod back pages were where you went for gg like gossip and news and teletext the closest thing to live internet updates.

We need another forward with his confidence and class. Just gave us such a buzz.

I remember buying a newspaper, I think that it was the Daily Mail, and the news of the meeting, between Alan Sugar & Jurgen Klinsmann, was on the back. I was happy that it could happen but delighted when a friend later called and confirmed, to me, they we had signed Klinsmann.

At the time, it felt as if we were on the crest of a wave. The club could achieve anything. All the limits that had been there were suddenly no more. Sadly, the club never realised it's potential in this time and Klinsmann left shortly afterwards, but the moment of the signing and his debut goal, and consequent celebration, against Sheffield Wednesday will be remembered for a long time to come.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but bbc website sportsday are running a pole for most iconic opening day moment, quite clearly it should be juergen's dive!!! So I reckon everyone needs to get voting!

My initial reaction was disgust :eek:

Back then he had a big reputation for being a cheat and a diver, and apart from full Internationals I didn't watch much football abroad. So I remembered Italia 90 and for me the German national team were a great evil, bit like the goons now :D . From that point of view in some ways it would be the same if we woke up to find we had just signed Suarez, except I didn't even rate Klinsmann that highly at the time! Again, mainly due to lack of exposure to football outside England.

I bought a shirt, the navy blue away one, possibly my first Spurs shirt since the Premiership started and certainly the first one I decided to get a name on the back. I plumped for Sheringham, because I was so against the German signing. A few of my mates thought were admitting that they were hugely jealous of our signing. I went on holiday to Scotland, wore my Spurs shirt out and passed this little kid in a doorway, must of been about 7 or 8. I'll never forget his astounded and excited look at seeing a Spurs shirt - he took a step back and went "JOORGON KLINSMON"!!! By then I had begun to think maybe this might be a signing to put us on the map again.

And then the season began.

Ardiles, 5 forwards, goals everywhere. I was lucky enough to be at his home debut and was converted by then. What a season.

Back