• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Happy birthday Mr. Hoddle!

Best player but ruined my 3 years as a ST holder from 02-05 with some awful performances/results.

Nonetheless happy birthday legend.

As a player: I just wished he'd stayed until Gazza and Lineker arrived :(

As our manager: You do wonder what would he could have done if we'd been able to nail some of those 'nearly' signings such as Morientes...

Ah well, Legend nonetheless. Happy Birthday

Wow that 16 minute video Steff posted is well worth a look - no wonder my old man loves him so much

(Hoddle that is, not Steff o_O )

You will not spend 16 minutes more constructively today.

Just incredible, what a great watch. So two footed. So accurate, just pinging the ball with backspin and sideswerve for the striker to run onto.

A real shame he left Spurs in 87 which was early in my Spurs career... so I didn't really see or hear from him in Monaco 87 to 91 as there was no internet and little TV coverage... then suddenly he was at flippin Swindon and then furkin Cheatski of all places... then England, Southampton, then we stole him, he returned to the promised land as manager of Spurs but was not The Saviour and ended up at Wolves... but going back to those performances in the 80s, damn was he good.

Best player ( along with Greaves) I have seen in a Spurs shirt.

Have a great day Glenn.
Never saw Greavesie in the flesh (not quite old enough), but I have heard the phrase "Spurs Legend " mentioned a few times, for me Glenn really was that. I have seen some great players put on the Spurs shirt since but none as good as him. He's the reason I support Spurs and have done for more than 35 years. Happy Birthday Glenn.

You will not spend 16 minutes more constructively today. Alarming when I look back and realize how many of these games I was at and how much we took him for granted. I can honestly say I teared up watching this...that final goal against Oxford, jesus fudgeing christ!

His passing appears too good to be true, you couldn't get any better.

Never saw Greavesie in the flesh (not quite old enough), but I have heard the phrase "Spurs Legend " mentioned a few times, for me Glenn really was that. I have seen some great players put on the Spurs shirt since but none as good as him. He's the reason I support Spurs and have done for more than 35 years.

Greaves was ( imo) the best striker of all time and my first childhood hero, as you say we have been lucky enough to have seen some really great players at the Lane but Glenn was the best. I worked for a time in Manchester and used to drive down on the Saturday for the home games, in those days the injury news was not known ( usually) until the day of the game and on occasions I would be half way down the M6 and the radio would say that Glenn was injured and would not play, to be honest I was gutted because I would not be able to watch him as even in the knock about before the game he was magic to watch.

You will not spend 16 minutes more constructively today. Alarming when I look back and realize how many of these games I was at and how much we took him for granted. I can honestly say I teared up watching this...that final goal against Oxford, jesus fudgeing christ!

Thanks for posting steff, best hoddle montage I've seen. Saw you'd posted this earlier and couldn't wait to get home to watch it.

The pass at 2:30 of steff's 16 min masterpiece... I'd heard so much about hoddle's back spin passes, but I'd never seen one until then (my first Spurs game was 88/89 season and I was pretty young), amazing sight.

I'm truly gutted to have missed out on seeing Glenn in a Spurs shirt, but I did get to enjoy Gazza, Klinsmann, Teddy, Ginola, Modric and Bale in the last 25 years, we are blessed that we attract this caliber and style of player, even through the brick years. Honorable mention to King as well who was every bit as good as them, but in a different way.

The most natural footballer this world has seen. Others may have got as good or better through hard work but that man just had it. A bit like Berbatov in that sense but 100x as good!

When you take into account the pitches, balls, boots, opposition, rules etc. he'd have to be in the running for best in the world if he was playing now.
I think what made him such a fantastic player is what hampered his management. It was so natural to him he couldn't understand why no one else got it. And then how do explain to someone something you without thinking?

The pass at 2:30 of steff's 16 min masterpiece... I'd heard so much about hoddle's back spin passes, but I'd never seen one until then (my first Spurs game was 88/89 season and I was pretty young), amazing sight.

I'm truly gutted to have missed out on seeing Glenn in a Spurs shirt, but I did get to enjoy Gazza, Klinsmann, Teddy, Ginola, Modric and Bale in the last 25 years, we are blessed that we attract this caliber and style of player, even through the brick years. Honorable mention to King as well who was every bit as good as them, but in a different way.
I don't think there has been anyone I have seen since Glenn with his "natural genius." He really could do things that would leave both team mates and opposition in complete awe. The only players IMO who could come close to his natural ability were IMO Berba, and Bale. Sadly the England football team always preferred "grafters" like Bryan Robson Terry Butcher, Stuart Pearce. They couldn't handle his genius like other international teams use flair players.

Hoddle is the reason I support Spurs. My dad brought me to see Spurs game when I was a nipper and that was that really. He was on a different level to everyone else on the pitch that day, and every day after. How he did what he did on those surfaces I'll never know but whether you were Spurs or not he inspired a generation to rise above the muck and play football like it was meant to be played.

Last edited:
The most natural footballer this world has seen. Others may have got as good or better through hard work but that man just had it. A bit like Berbatov in that sense but 100x as good!

When you take into account the pitches, balls, boots, opposition, rules etc. he'd have to be in the running for best in the world if he was playing now.

Perfectly stated...watch the first 10 mins of that Sky documentary to hear about him and his mat polishing the badger for 5 hours and sunbathing on the East Stand roof!!!!!

Back