• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Happy 125th Birthday to the Football League

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
125 years ago today, 8th September 1888, the first Football League games were played.

The original Football League consisted of 12 clubs from the Midlands and North-West of England and Aston Villa were the main driving force behind the establishment of the competition.

A Second Division was later added for season 1892-93.

The Southern League First Division was incorporated into the Football League and became Division Three in season 1920-21.

To restore geographical balance, the top non-League Northern clubs formed Division Three North the next season, and the existing Division Three was re-named Division Three South.

Due to improved transportation links, the top half of Divisions Three North & South became the Third Division and the bottom halves became the Fourth Division in season 1958-59.

The Football League continued with Four Divisions until season 1991-92, after which the Premier League was established.

Football League Records & Statistics 1888-89 to 2013-14

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and here is a perfect example. A sporting competition leads to "The Premier League"

Many memories through the years of the Football League, including our part within the league before the Premier League breakaway. Happier, non money based times existed in the past, when no doubt there were other problems but my youthful naivety to these left me more able to enjoy the structure and spirit of the game rather than to be left asking questions about FFP.

Happy Birthday to the Football League and I'm very happy it exists, without it there would be a gap in my life where football should be.

The Football League begat the EPL and I liked that begatting.

6 (six) teams are in the mix for the title this season.

Delays on the full-back line? FA launches football-inspired Tube map

Engineering works are affecting Des Walker station, while Wayne Rooney is currently experiencing severe congestion.

No, I haven’t gone mad, the Football Association and London Underground are celebrating their 150th anniversaries by renaming the entire Tube network after football greats.

Click on the picture above and you will see the entire map showing the 367 stations across the 14 lines renamed, with Leytonstone David Beckham to mark the place of his birth, Arsenal is the club’s star midfielder Jack Wheelchair :eek: and Upton Park becomes 1966 World Cup winning captain, Bobby Moore.

The lines themselves also hold significance, with the Docklands Light Railway using names of pre-war players such as Arsenal legend Eddie Hapgood and Everton’s Dixie Dean. The Victoria line features stars of the women’s game like Kelly Smith and Rachel Yankey.

The Metropolitan line has become the Managers line with Wembley Park named after the 1966 World Cup-winning manager Alf Ramsey. Other famous names include Sir Alex Ferguson, Roy Hodgson and Graham Taylor.

The Goalscorers line (Central line) recognises poachers, targetmen and cultured No.10s, with Holborn, Tottenham Court Road and Lancaster Gate becoming Geoff Hurst, Jimmy Greaves and Bobby Charlton respectively. The District line is represented by central defenders with midfielders replacing stations on the Piccadilly line.

The Circle line has become ‘Giants of the World Cup’ featuring the likes of Pele and Maradona. The Overground pays homage to overseas stars such as Didier Drogba, Robin van Persie and Ossie Ardiles.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/02/football-association-launches-tube-map-to-mark-both-organisations-150th-anniversary-4132060/

At the moment 6 are but will be interesting to see just how long that number stays true.

Back in the day the league was a much closer affair and every season would have a surprise title contender or two. It was far more competitive than it is today (I blame the Champion's League). Ultimately though it usually came down to Liverpool and another. Similar thing will happen this season. It'll come down to two and those two will be clear of the pack by Easter.

Back