• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hanging a wall sized picture

Crawley

Board Legend
My youngest has been given an aerial photo, which has been blown up to a massive 3m 8cm x 1m 45cm poster, on a flexible coated paper. (It can be rolled easily, but is way thicker than paper/card).

I would guess it weighs less than 5kg.........

He wants it hung along one wall in his bedroom.....the wall is plastered/emulsioned (so effectively bare wall painted).

Don't want to buy an expensive frame.......don't want to drill holes in wall etc......

Solutions to hanging this?

Would be prepared to clip it into a plastic surround type frame.......or stick it to wall using some type of strong/removeable tape.

Any clues?????

We bought my bro in law a glass frame for a papyrus painting we bought from Egypt - massive! I'd say don't bother, very expensive and as we found out when the glass broke - expensive to replace.

Not sure if it would work but how about adhesive spray? Spray the back of the pic and stick to the wall (I guess you'd need a few extra hands!)? That said, not sure how easy it would be to remove if you had too.

OR

If you can find a giant clear pocket (the type used to house paper in folders) and place the picture in there. Then hang the pocket or stick it using adhesive?

Last edited:
Depends on if he minds mounting it. Go down B&Q or Homebase and get some mounting board and mounting spray (spray glue). Mount it onto the board and then hang it using 3M Command strips. Much stronger than any tape you'll find and non-marking when it comes down.

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/c-247-command-strip-products.aspx

Then it won't knacker the poster either (as long as he doesn't mind it being mounted on board).

Don't want glass (look at the dimensions), a frame would be awkward.

Don't think any of the 3m strips can hold enough weight.

It's a shame, because it is almost a wall covering in itself. I could use spray adhesive, but if we move, i don't want to have to re-plaster the wall when I take it down.

Don't want glass (look at the dimensions), a frame would be awkward.

Don't think any of the 3m strips can hold enough weight.

It's a shame, because it is almost a wall covering in itself. I could use spray adhesive, but if we move, i don't want to have to re-plaster the wall when I take it down.

This might sound stupid, but is there any way to attach this to the ceiling, or is the ceiling also off-limits in terms of what you can mount?
Then just use a basic adhesive that won't peel the wall off to make sure it doesn't bellow.

3M-Scotch-667-Removable-Double-Sided-Tape-075400.jpg

This obviously comes in all shapes and sizes.

This might sound stupid, but is there any way to attach this to the ceiling, or is the ceiling also off-limits in terms of what you can mount?
Then just use a basic adhesive that won't peel the wall off to make sure it doesn't bellow.

Needs to be flush with the wall.....to hang from the ceiling would take a frame of some sort.

If you are thinking yourself that it is almost like a total wall covering then I would take the unusual step of just recommending you use high quality wallpaper paste as, unlike a scaled up kludge (tape, blutak) this stuff will have been engineered for purpose.

Any commonly available sheet substrate will be limited to 2440x1220mm, though with a little effort you will find bigger if you wanted to mount on something other than the bare wall/ceiling. :)

Last edited:
Crawley, from my experience with the 3M tabs, use enough and I'd almost guarantee it'll hold, it tinkles on almost anything. I've used it for outdoor Xmas lights, pictures and all sorts.

I had a similar issue at work once, hanging a heavy-ish sign

We stuck it up with 2 part magnetic tape, where you stick the positive charge to the wall and the negative charge to the sign... then you can take the sign up and down really easily in case you want to change the logo or company name or whatever

I think they use it on vans to stick signs to the metal side of the van

But when we pulled it off the wall it took all the plaster off, so we may as well have used No More Nails

You want some of these mate, they stick like fook but when you want to take them down they come off clean. I have used them on wallpaper, plaster and metal without problem. Perfect for the job in hand.

3M Command Strips

You want some of these mate, they stick like fook but when you want to take them down they come off clean. I have used them on wallpaper, plaster and metal without problem. Perfect for the job in hand.

3M Command Strips

I work for Lyreco a large stationery company, those sticky fixers would be your best bet

Back