• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Greatest debut albums

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
What are yours?

Mine:

Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
Metallica - Kill Em All
Portishead - Dummy
Pearl Jam - Ten
Jeff Buckley - Grace

Probably more, but those are my initial ones.

Pearl Jam - Ten
The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm.

What are yours?

Mine:

Metallica - Kill Em All
Portishead - Dummy
Pearl Jam - Ten
Jeff Buckley - Grace

All good calls. I own most of those myself. Appetite is the best selling debut album of all time.

What are yours?

Mine:

Metallica - Kill Em All
Portishead - Dummy
Pearl Jam - Ten
Jeff Buckley - Grace

OK…

Yes to Guns, yes to Massive Attack, yes to Tallica…

Tricky - Maxinquaye
Goldie - Timeless
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Daft Punk - Homework
Dizzy Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
The Police - Outlandos D'Amour
Ian Dury - New Boots n Panties

It's interesting how many metal bands have produced their best albums after two or three releases!

Just had a quick glance at my CDs:

Audioslave - Audioslave
Brides of Destruction - Here Come the Brides
Garbage - Garbage
Korn - Korn
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Kula Shaker - K
Masterplan - Masterplan
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Tomahawk - Tomahawk

A great debut is not just a great record in its own right, but a game changer. Kill 'Em All really brought big **** off speed metal to the fore at a time when popular rock and metal was **** and continued to be **** until GnFnR brought out Appetite.

To digress a little, I really get the shuts when people talk about Nirvana being the savior of rock music in the 90's. I call bull**** on that. GnR were the biggest baddest band in the world and although Axl and his mates wore a bit of make up, their music was tough as hell. Metallica were at their peak and Pantera were waiting in the wings as well.

Even in Seattle, Nirvana were johnny come latelys. Soundgarden and Alice in Chains had already had commercial success and Pearl Jam had already released Ten.

Anyhow, RATM were certainly game changers, as we're The Strokes and Arctic Monkeys who are two others who had great debuts and livened things up a bit.

Follow up question: whose debuts are the pinnacle? GnR arguably peaked with Use Your Illusions. Metallica ditto with Ride the Lightning. Pearl Jam? I prefer Vs and No Code. RATM? Maybe, though I listened to Evil Empire a lot more.

Nah Superted, Nirvan released Bleach in 89 (which I preferred to Nevermind).

Pinnacle albums?

Appetite for GnR and Master of Puppets for Metallica.

Master is awesome. One of the greatest metal albums ever and Metallica at their musical best imo.

For many rock and metal bands it's anger and drug abuse that fuels their creativity. Once they get older, rich and settled with families they start to overthink things, it doesn't come naturally any longer.

For many rock and metal bands it's anger and drug abuse that fuels their creativity. Once they get older, rich and settled with families they start to overthink things, it doesn't come naturally any longer.

I believe that's the problem with Pearl Jam, their later albums are largely forgettable...theyre just too happy!

Nah Superted, Nirvan released Bleach in 89 (which I preferred to Nevermind).

Yeah I realise that. My point tho is that Nevermind is when rock music was saved according to some people, even tho GnR, Metallica, Pantera and Soundgarden were tearing it up at the time, and Pearl Jam were on the cusp. We still would have had Smashing Pumpkins, REM, Faith No More, etc if Nevermind never came out, but maybe we could have avoided Hole?

I've never liked Nevermind myself. It's a pop record.

To add some from a different genre:

Nas - Illmatic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Notorious B.i.g - Ready to Die

Rap was so good in the mid-nineties

Ah I see what you mean.

Hole weren't actually that bad in my opinion. Certainly not ground breaking, but 'ok'.

Thought of another couple of albums (also after looking through my collection) -

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
Public Enemy - Yo Bum Rush the Show
Led Zep - Led Zep
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

To add some from a different genre:

Nas - Illmatic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Notorious B.i.g - Ready to Die

Rap was so good in the mid-nineties

Illmatic for sure - hip hop is rammed full of artists who peaked with their debut though tbf

Black on Both Sides by Mos Def, for me

And with regards to game changers then i think Eminems debut (the name escapes me atm) deserves a shout, although not a particular favourite of mine

It Takes a Nation by Public Enemy has got to be up there in those terms also

Rock - de-loused in the comatorium by Mars Volta is one of my favourites as well as QOTSAs self titled debut

Oh yea and Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell also being one of my favourite albums, let alone favourite debuts

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

The Killers - Hot Fuss

Kings Of Leon - Youth and Young Mahnood

GNR - Appetite For Destruction

Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg

Rage Against The Machine - RATM

Arctic Monkeys -

Back