• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Graeme Souness

SUIYHA

Scott Parker
Interesting article from the Guardian's archives published today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2012/sep/05/tottenham-spurs-graeme-souness-archive-1970?

His playing days are well before my time, but he was the defensive midfielder in the best team in Europe for years, and when you look at the number of flair players Spurs had in the late 70s and early 80s then it makes you wonder what we could have done with a bit more steel in midfield.

Wonder if you'd get a situation like this now when young players who move away from home at a young age have the internet, Sky TV, an Xbox and Skype to keep them occupied...

Interesting article from the Guardian's archives published today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2012/sep/05/tottenham-spurs-graeme-souness-archive-1970?

His playing days are well before my time, but he was the defensive midfielder in the best team in Europe for years, and when you look at the number of flair players Spurs had in the late 70s and early 80s then it makes you wonder what we could have done with a bit more steel in midfield.

Wonder if you'd get a situation like this now when young players who move away from home at a young age have the internet, Sky TV, an Xbox and Skype to keep them occupied...

The story I heard was that Souness barged into Bill Nicholson's office and demanded to be played because he felt he was better than anyone else at the club.

Bill disagreed and the 'homesick' story was invented.

A gifted player who landed on his feet at the bin dippers at the height of their powers.

Crap manager tho, so-so pundit.

[video=youtube;ygVgxYa3mlo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygVgxYa3mlo[/video]

[video=youtube;xG2-0Dn5IRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2-0Dn5IRQ[/video]

Perryman and Mullery were the starting midfield in the only game he appeared in for us. Mullery left soon after so possibly he would have got his chance.

Quite a team: Jennings, Kinnear, England, Beal, Knowles, Coates, Mullery, Perryman, Peters, Chivers, Gilzean (subs: Souness, Pearce).

I will never, ever forget the disgraceful foul on Galvin in the LCF 1982...I spoke to Galvin about it a few years ago and he said it wasn't far from breaking his shin. Said that in today's game he'd have been subbed and getting it checked out, but then, magic spray and get on with it. He was never quite the same player after that IMHO...

I will never, ever forget the disgraceful foul on Galvin in the LCF 1982...I spoke to Galvin about it a few years ago and he said it wasn't far from breaking his shin. Said that in today's game he'd have been subbed and getting it checked out, but then, magic spray and get on with it. He was never quite the same player after that IMHO...
Galvin's marauding runs were giving the Liverpool defence such a torrid time early on that day, the nasty little s*** decided to take him out with one of the most cynical fouls I have ever witnessed. The Spurs flyer had already been softened up in mid-flight with a couple of brutal body checks by another of the Mersey thugs - Phil Neal.

No doubt in my mind we'd have won that game had it not been for that brutish tackle.

it was all an honest mistake, he thought the fans were singing "you'll never walk again" and tried to do his bit

If I remember right we were leading 1-0 with about 3 minutes normal time left, Souness definately "done" Galvin, Robson "done" Sheringham in an FA cup game once as well, it was so obvious he went down the back of Teddys achilles and put him out of the game

If I remember right we were leading 1-0 with about 3 minutes normal time left, Souness definately "done" Galvin, Robson "done" Sheringham in an FA cup game once as well, it was so obvious he went down the back of Teddys achilles and put him out of the game

Yes indeed...3 mins left...Archie had a chance from 7 yards. Goal was wide open except for Neal on a post; Archie's snapshot was in that direction! Then Whelan bent one in from 25 yards.

Back