• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Girl dies in House with "out of control Dogs"

Labrador Retriever Kills 2-year-old
January 21, 1988|By United Press International

CHICAGO — A Labrador retriever killed a 2-year-old girl in the family's home Wednesday in what animal experts called an uncharacteristic attack by a member of a breed known for its gentleness, police said.

Meagan Stack, 2, died from multiple bites on her face and neck suffered in the attack by the 80-pound dog in the family's living room, police said.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...00257_1_labrador-retriever-stack-george-owens

Try the guardian or observer.
If this is true, these are vey rare, totally totally out of character and there must have been extenuating circumstances. The same cannot be said for pit bulls, mastiffs etc

If this is true, these are vey rare, totally totally out of character and there must have been extenuating circumstances. The same cannot be said for pit bulls, mastiffs etc

:-"

Never!!!
If I have to turn left, I turn right first and go round in a circle...
Liberal

;)

you do only hear about it when it goes wrong though, as has been said (and I know myself from the pets of friends and family) there are plenty these dogs out there which do behave themselves

Any dog attack is rare. There are no 'common' dog attacks.

There are something like 5 million pit bulls in America, and there are only around 20-30 deaths every year attributed to dogs, never mind just pit bulls.

To put that in perspective, So using some very approximate mathematics 0.00002% of pit bulls kill every year.

Does that strike you as a common occurrence? No.

The few tar the many with a stereotype.

I'm going to stop here, as i feel i'll get extremely condescending soon.

This is ridiculous. Three separate news stories featuring Labrador attacks, all dismissed because they aren't the Guardian?

Of course they are rare, but if Labs were seen as a 'tough' breed rather than being used to sell toilet paper they would be much more frequent because tough guy owners would start buying and mistreating them

This is ridiculous. Three separate news stories featuring Labrador attacks, all dismissed because they aren't the Guardian?

Of course they are rare, but if Labs were seen as a 'tough' breed rather than being used to sell toilet paper they would be much more frequent because tough guy owners would start buying and mistreating them

Did you not know?

The Daily Mail despises Labradors? They'll take every shot at them they can get.. :-k

Another interesting snippet, the three dogs with most bites are German Shepherd, Chow Chow and Golden Retriever.

Another interesting snippet, the three dogs with most bites are German Shepherd, Chow Chow and Golden Retriever.

The dog of choice for brick owners wanting an aggressive dog* when I was growing up (long before Rottweillers, etc), the fact that police forces use them because of their intelligence and ability to be trained shows the difference a good or bad owner can make.

*Whenever I hear the expression "As mean as a junk yard dog" I think of Alsations as they were known years ago.

Similar to what PLJ has said.
When a chav wants to make a dog agressive from a puppy, they won't buy a poodle. They will get a "Fierce" breed of dog from a young age and turn it into a beast.

If you raise a Staffy/Mastiff up to be a softie, it will be a softie.

So, I disagree with you Jurgen. It is the owner that is to blame here.

Exactly. My Cousin lives in Poplar and has a dog called "Bully" it's a bull dog mastiff and it's honestly the biggest dog I've ever seen. It has to eat steaks for crying out loud and it might aswell be the size of a horse!! Everybody's scared off it when they see it. But I'm 6ft 2inches tall and the first time I saw it I was petrified because it was charging towards me at a hundred miles an hour. It jumped up, put it's paws on my shoulders, and licked my face senseless. Friendliest dog you could ever come across!!

I look after a mate's staffordshire bull terrier from time to time and whilst they are no doubt the product of the how the owner raises them, they are powerful and potentially dangerous animals. He goes crazy when I get home from work, jumping around, generally showing his excitement which is apparently par for the course with staffies.

However he's never shown me any sign as to why he would be a threat to any child, other dog or cat and this is despite cats scratching him and acting up around them.

Thoughts go out to the poor girls family because as mentioned before this is a terrible way to die. Why would someone have four or five dogs like this in a house. Seems like it was asking for trouble, they probably rare each other up and then when she entered the house things got out of hand.

Looking at the RSPCA website, they have a section on adopting dogs. They have 172 Staff Bull Terriers, next most is German Shepherd at 33. Just shows how many they are having to take from bad owners.

I'm definitely in the corner of the owner being responsible in terms of the environment they bring their dogs up in. However, as with almost any living species, there can be something, as inocuous as it may seem, that could trigger the 'wild gene' in any animal. Ourselves included.

I completely agree with dogs getting above their station in a household. My fiancee has a brickzu, amazing little thing. But it went through a phase of being quite aggressive for no reason and had a nasty little bite. We took it to a dog trainer and the first thing they asked was, 'do you feed the dog before yourselves?' Apparently this is a big no-no, as it gives the dog the impression it is the leader of the pack.

So my fiancee's family started feeding him after they had dinner. Worked a charm and little Elvis is back to his normal self. I am fascinated by animal behaviour and how we as so-called superior beings can manipulate them for our own needs, positive and negative. I bloody love that Dog Whisperer show too.

Going back on-topic, an absolute tragedy and my heart goes out to the young girl and her family. However, I can't help but also feel sorry for the dogs being put down as their instincts/upbringing are the cause of this situation, not the fact that they are a specific breed of dog in my opinion.

Exactly. My Cousin lives in Poplar and has a dog called "Bully" it's a bull dog mastiff and it's honestly the biggest dog I've ever seen. It has to eat steaks for crying out loud and it might aswell be the size of a horse!! Everybody's scared off it when they see it. But I'm 6ft 2inches tall and the first time I saw it I was petrified because it was charging towards me at a hundred miles an hour. It jumped up, put it's paws on my shoulders, and licked my face senseless. Friendliest dog you could ever come across!!

May I enquire if your cousin has kids or do the neighbours ?

So as I see it , the scenario is as follows ;

Single mother of 5 kids
Lives on welfare benefits
Breeds dogs to sell on e-bay as a hobby
Keeps specific species of dog for the breeding process
Has twin teenage daughters
A friend of the daughters pops round for llunch with food

The dogs want food
The fudging ignorant taco of a woman doesn't feed her dogs adequately
Dogs attack person with food
Owner can't be prosecuted as law doesn't allow for it in a private residence with dogs allowed but not registered

What an embarrassment of a fudgein system that exists

Not dogs fault . Just the pathetic person who owns them to try and make some money while you lot pay for her house ,

Back