• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

As I said in recent days. A decent 45 mins against Norwich is far from enough in over half of season (of mainly cameo appearances admittedly) for me to think he's the answer to our creative need. I get the loan scenarios which pushed Levy into making it happen this window to save money, surprise surprise.

I hope he proves to be as good as some of you think but I haven't seen it yet. Last thing we need is an Ozil type who batters relegation fodder teams and fails to compete against proper teams. Otherwise we can look forward to a return to mid table finishes.
I haven't seen anything so far to suggest that Lo Celso has the same lax attitude to working hard on the pitch that Ozil does.

People shouldn't use others opinions on GG to show how right they are. I completely understand the support the players approach. I supported and still do, Lamela through many baron years and long injuries. I made my initial comment on GLC after watching him struggle to adapt to the Premier league and CL over the course of enough games for him to flourish. Ndombele didn't need more than a couple of minutes for me to see he has the ability to succeed in this team. I hope GLC proves me wrong. He has looked better in the last two games but I'm yet to be convinced when it's been against the teams competing for the top six places. Hopefully Leipzig is his breakthrough moment in my eyes because they're definitely a good team.
That's quite an interesting take on things I think. How long are you prepared to give new signings before judging them? As until very recently he was still pretty green in terms of minutes against teams in the PL? Also it's not unusual for overseas signings to need time to adapt. Robert Pires for Arsenal was a classic example of a player who looked awful early on then look fantastic from his second season onwards. Personally I doubt we'll see the best of Lo Celso until next season.

That's quite an interesting take on things I think. How long are you prepared to give new signings before judging them? As until very recently he was still pretty green in terms of minutes against teams in the PL? Also it's not unusual for overseas signings to need time to adapt. Robert Pires for Arsenal was a classic example of a player who looked awful early on then look fantastic from his second season onwards. Personally I doubt we'll see the best of Lo Celso until next season.

Son struggled in his first season for us

That's quite an interesting take on things I think. How long are you prepared to give new signings before judging them? As until very recently he was still pretty green in terms of minutes against teams in the PL? Also it's not unusual for overseas signings to time to adapt. Robert Pires for Arsenal was a classic example of a player who looked awful early on then look fantastic from his second season onwards. Personally I doubt we'll see the best of Lo Celso until next season.

Obviously there's no magic number but when clubs scout overseas players do you think they go and watch said player every week for an entire season, or do they make a decision based on what they see in a limited number of appearances?

8 starts for us so far in all competitions, 5-6 before he started impressing? So 5-6 starts its enough for a player to flourish in a new league?

I think that's barely enough time to get going personally. That's not factoring in the overall messy season including a change of manager.

I also think the jury is still out, but there are definitely positive signs. He seems well suited to the PL. Hopefully he'll continue to prove your assessment premature and wrong.
How many of those 5 to 6 starts were PL games?

Obviously there's no magic number but when clubs scout overseas players do you think they go and watch said player every week for an entire season, or do they make a decision based on what they see in a limited number of appearances?
A scout will typically watch a player 10s of times against different types of opposition. One thing that any good scout is very unlikely to do is judge a player on just a game or two immediately after that player had moved to a new team, in a completely new Country.

And to back the above up, this is from the story on the Bergwijn thread:
”Spurs has been following Bergwijn for years. Brian Carey, the Irish scout in Europe, has sat in front of him almost every match last season”.

Last edited:
Gio, Hugo and Dier drinking Mate each morning. I wonder what language they speak?

maybe Portuguese or Spanish. I know that Argentinians speak Spanish, but there are similarities between Spanish and Portuguese. And Dier would, I assume, be fluent in Portuguese.

Gio, Hugo and Dier drinking Mate each morning. I wonder what language they speak?

I imagine Spanish, most Europeans from the mainland don't have the same aversion to and complete lack of ability with second or third languages as the Brits do.

Not sure how Dier knows Spanish though. I've used Spanish quite easily in Brazil before, the Portuguese there seems quite interchangeable with Spanish in many ways and the conversation flows relatively easy. When I've tried the same in Portugal, it falls flat massively, the Portuguese there is totally different.

Maybe Lo Celso is just sitting there smiling saying nice in broken English.

Anyway, back on topic, very excited to see how he gets on now he's over the injury and starting to get used to the team and league.

Lo Celso's performances have been encouraging so far but he really needs to improve his finishing. His freekick against Southampton was worse than Eriksen's ! It is a real mystery why we can't score direct from freekicks nowadays.

Back