• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

so last summer Poch wanted Schneiderlin in earlz, we couldnt get the deal done, the club gave him Stambouli instead......this summer, Berahino has been the one weve been linked to all summer, no offer made and now with City interested we probably have no chance, so we go for Njie instead.

Njie to be bombed out by Poch and sign for PSG next summer?

We were linked with N'jie before Berahino.

Martial was the first LWF we were linked with but N'jie, N'tep and Werner came next in a group.

The Berahino stuff has only been being talked about seriously since he changed agents a fortnight or so ago.

I did mean to add a ;)

Personally think the media don't care who or where the player comes from these days. Just look at the transfer rumours and see where they reside. What is it 80/20 foreign.

It probably comes down to finance. Berahino double the money of Njie. Its an interesting question, who would you go for? Njie represents better value Berahino PL experience and maybe better shot. We'll probably end up with Werner instead!
For me it has to be Berahino. Although nothing is guaranteed when it comes to a new transfer (in our price range anyway) you must mitigate the risk as best you can. I couldn't tell you how well Njie would adapt to the PL but that is one less risk with Berahino. Add to that his previous good experience playing with Kane and it seems to me from a playing perspective that Berahino is the better bet by a long way.

Of course money comes into it. If we are talking 5mil or so then we should really be going for Berahino. 10mil? Well that's a lot for us and may sway things.

I dare say we haven't officially moved for Berahino yet as Soldado and Ade are still spurs players. I'm hoping that is what it is anyway and there are discussions ongoing behind the scenes.

We were linked with N'jie before Berahino.

Martial was the first LWF we were linked with but N'jie, N'tep and Werner came next in a group.

The Berahino stuff has only been being talked about seriously since he changed agents a fortnight or so ago.

iirc we have been linked to Berahino since towards the end of last season

of course we have a list and the other names you mention are most likely on it and imo Berahino is better than all the others and was very gettable

For me it has to be Berahino. Although nothing is guaranteed when it comes to a new transfer (in our price range anyway) you must mitigate the risk as best you can. I couldn't tell you how well Njie would adapt to the PL but that is one less risk with Berahino. Add to that his previous good experience playing with Kane and it seems to me from a playing perspective that Berahino is the better bet by a long way.

Of course money comes into it. If we are talking 5mil or so then we should really be going for Berahino. 10mil? Well that's a lot for us and may sway things.

I dare say we haven't officially moved for Berahino yet as Soldado and Ade are still spurs players. I'm hoping that is what it is anyway and there are discussions ongoing behind the scenes.

Berahino 100%

I don't think many would disagree. He is the safer bet and English to boot. But we don't need more English players, and suppose signing Berahino meant we could only sign a cheaper Midfielder, or have less to spend in Jan. Then add in that the £10-15 cheaper Nije could be as good, maybe better. It's not such an easy decision.

I don't think many would disagree. He is the safer bet and English to boot. But we don't need more English players, and suppose signing Berahino meant we could only sign a cheaper Midfielder, or have less to spend in Jan. Then add in that the £10-15 cheaper Nije could be as good, maybe better. It's not such an easy decision.

I think I'm agreeing with you on this point. N'jie looks like he could be the better acquisition for the wing forward role. The problem imo is that we would still need to find ourselves a new #9 to act as backup to Kane, something which Berahino could do. So whilst Berahino is more expensive, his purchase would kill two birds with one stone, being that he can play with or instead of Kane. The money saved on N'jie might be great to start, but we would still need to buy a backup striker which would probably cost us some of what we saved + another set of wages.

Edit: Just a thought but perhaps the stance of the Lyon chairman is what has held up both the Berahino deal and brought N'jie back on our radar. Earlier on in the summer we were told "no way," now it's more along the lines of "maybe if you offer a little more". Some ITK etc are claming that Berahino was not first choice and we only went after him because Martial and N'jie fell through. Maybe with our second choice now available we can see why the 48 hrs thing never happened.

Last edited:
Werner doesn't sound like he's good enough for a back up role atm, more like a 3rd choice punt on potential - would still require another forward (Austin?) to come in to be first backup, imv

I think that it is an indication of what we can expect. Levy is not a chairman who speaks to the press often or talks up our transfer activity. It also fits with previous transfer windows. We will of course see at the end of the window but I don't see anything to support what you were saying:

However it does seem we have withdrawn totally from the transfer market

Looking forward to the day that leaders in business could have the confidence to make such a statement directly.

However we only need to look at our transfer net spending and the price tag for the new stadium to say that we are not playing the transfer market game as we have in the past.

We are not chasing the quality of targets that we have in the past (I.e experienced quality household names), it's not clear if this is because we no longer hear about it or we just don't bother. Are we even playing this game at all anymore?

The evidence is clear, look at the players we used to be linked to 5-10 years ago. "Carlos Kickaball Is being monitored by Utd, Liverpool and Spurs"- typical newspaper statement. We rarely signed them as we usually lost out. Nevertheless we showed some ambition. Not seeing this anywhere near as much as we used to.

Why? Not saying it's good or bad just why?

Looking forward to the day that leaders in business could have the confidence to make such a statement directly.

However we only need to look at our transfer net spending and the price tag for the new stadium to say that we are not playing the transfer market game as we have in the past.

We are not chasing the quality of targets that we have in the past (I.e experienced quality household names), it's not clear if this is because we no longer hear about it or we just don't bother. Are we even playing this game at all anymore?

The evidence is clear, look at the players we used to be linked to 5-10 years ago. "Carlos Kickaball Is being monitored by Utd, Liverpool and Spurs"- typical newspaper statement. We rarely signed them as we usually lost out. Nevertheless we showed some ambition. Not seeing this anywhere near as much as we used to.

You're argument kind of falls apart when your evidence is 'players we're linked to' which is commonly nothing more than made up rumours to fill newspaper columns or Internet clickbait

Why is that a bad thing? Finally we seem to have a proper scouting system in place. We don't need to sign Falcao or Soldado for sky high fees, and neither should we. There's an abundance of talent in the football world, and every year you see hundreds of new players make their name on the premier footballing stage. I've been wondering for years why we haven't been able to pick up more "bargain players" than we have. Other European teams seems to buy bargain players and turn them into hot prospects time and again - why shouldn't we with the training facilities and the apparatus we have?

I think we're not looking to sign these players simply because they are over priced, and there's no guarantee they'll succeed (ref. Falcao and Soldado from earlier in the post). We signed Stambouli last year for practically nothing, he didn't fit in for some reason, so we sell him on - and we even made money on it. No financial risk involved.

I, for one, really like this new transfer strategy of our's, I think it's smart, and it's going to pay off in the long run.

Just asking do you think we are waiting on 1 of our 2 forwards to go before actually signing a new one, I know it not a money thing, just wondering why it taking so long to sign someone.

I would say it IS a money thing

With ade on our books earning the salary of at least two players for nothing until he is gone we have a potential BiG risk, especially with forwards costing so much

You only need to look at Liverpool at their 7 forwards for one position to realise the potential problem

I'm confident however that once one is sold we will get another in

It's taking so long to sign someone as anyone good enough to improve our squad is going to be expensive and in demand. The player's club won't want to sell them and we don't have endless amounts of money to throw around

Why is that a bad thing? Finally we seem to have a proper scouting system in place. We don't need to sign Falcao or Soldado for sky high fees, and neither should we. There's an abundance of talent in the football world, and every year you see hundreds of new players make their name on the premier footballing stage. I've been wondering for years why we haven't been able to pick up more "bargain players" than we have. Other European teams seems to buy bargain players and turn them into hot prospects time and again - why shouldn't we with the training facilities and the apparatus we have?

I think we're not looking to sign these players simply because they are over priced, and there's no guarantee they'll succeed (ref. Falcao and Soldado from earlier in the post). We signed Stambouli last year for practically nothing, he didn't fit in for some reason, so we sell him on - and we even made money on it. No financial risk involved.

I, for one, really like this new transfer strategy of our's, I think it's smart, and it's going to pay off in the long run.

Yep, it's not a bad thing. It's not that new either, we've been doing it on/off since 2004. The difference between pre/post 2004 has been clear. Nevertheless, its usually never been so bland as the last few transfer windows.

Back