• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I don't really agree with the bit about Lennon. I don't think his work rate or the way he played for the team could ever be questioned. He was always a bit slow to get his form back when returning from injury, but I don't think his desire was ever a problem. Lennon going back to type is exactly what has already happened at Everton under a manager who plays to his strengths and picks him regularly.

I agree that work rate on the pitch was ever a problem with him.

Other things though... That desire to get better day by day, week by week, month by month. The willingness to be brave on the pitch on the ball and off it, to always look for ways to make things happen, to take responsibility on the ball.

If we have in fact seen the last of Lennon in a Spurs shirt his Spurs career will have been one of unfulfilled potential like a few too many of his team mates in that period.

Bravery on the ball and the desire and determination are what Lennon lacks. He has the ability, just not the drive. I think he's coasted through his career, relied on his pace. He's never improved since he broke into the team as an 18-year-old.

He was always one of my favourite players, always exciting to watch, but he often beats a man, but then checks back and passes the ball to a team-mate. His potential was what he did to AC Milan's defence in the Champions League to set up Crouch. He could have done that more regularly.

I don't really agree with the bit about Lennon. I don't think his work rate or the way he played for the team could ever be questioned. He was always a bit slow to get his form back when returning from injury, but I don't think his desire was ever a problem. Lennon going back to type is exactly what has already happened at Everton under a manager who plays to his strengths and picks him regularly.

This for me as well, over the years when he has been out injured he has always needed to get a few games under his belt to get back to his best. He has been one of our best players over the time he has been here and we always looked better when he was in the team, he is better then either Townsend or Lamela at this time and we miss him.

This for me as well, over the years when he has been out injured he has always needed to get a few games under his belt to get back to his best. He has been one of our best players over the time he has been here and we always looked better when he was in the team, he is better then either Townsend or Lamela at this time and we miss him.

He hasn't been injured that often in recent seasons, he's just been a bit meh. He was in the side and that was enough for him.

He hasn't been injured that often in recent seasons, he's just been a bit meh. He was in the side and that was enough for him.

How many consecutive games has he played over the last season or two? and as for being meh, you mean better meh or worse meh then Townsend and Lamella.

How many consecutive games has he played over the last season or two? and as for being meh, you mean better meh or worse meh then Townsend and Lamella.

Just meh, as in invisible most of the time. He tracks back, but that's it. Some say we haven't played him the ball in the right positions, but he needs more to his game to play at this level.

League appearances:

2010/11: 34 (9 subs)
2011/12: 23 (4subs)
2012/13: 34 (1 sub)
2013/14: 27 (1 sub)

Last season he seems to have been missing the first month or two, can't remember if he was injured or not.

When you see Lennon running down from the right closing down all across the back 4 you realise that he is going that extra something to earn his next contract. As Jord says, yes he tracks back but what I saw at the weekend was a totally different player, closing down everyone, chasing everything. Totally not what we have seen the past few years.

Everton are live Sunday lunchtime vs Man Utd. I'll be watching him again.

With Lennon it wasn't ever desire on the pitch, it was off it. He just never seemed to be willing to learn or to develop his game, to work on his weaknesses.

He's now exactly the same player he was when we signed him a decade ago, just 10% slower.

With Lennon it wasn't ever desire on the pitch, it was off it. He just never seemed to be willing to learn or to develop his game, to work on his weaknesses.

He's now exactly the same player he was when we signed him a decade ago, just 10% slower.

Pretty much agree. It's a shame as he has a lot of talent.

Look at the latest quotes from Bentaleb in the Bentaleb thread... That's the attitude we need from more of our players and I think that's the attitude Poch is looking for and trying to instill.

Pretty much agree. It's a shame as he has a lot of talent.

Look at the latest quotes from Bentaleb in the Bentaleb thread... That's the attitude we need from more of our players and I think that's the attitude Poch is looking for and trying to instill.

Bentaleb, Mason, Kane and Townsend have tremendous attitudes - so driven but also grounded. Even Rose has calmed down a lot this year and shown new maturity.

So refreshing compared to the 90s and 00s spice boys - it has given me faith in English players for the first time since I saw King emerge.

Their mentality is the reason Lennon, Ade, Kaboul and co have no future at the club.

Bentaleb, Mason, Kane and Townsend have tremendous attitudes - so driven but also grounded. Even Rose has calmed down a lot this year and shown new maturity.

So refreshing compared to the 90s and 00s spice boys - it has given me faith in English players for the first time since I saw King emerge.

Their mentality is the reason Lennon, Ade, Kaboul and co have no future at the club.

Agreed. Rose has grown a lot from his "I want first team football or I'm out of here" kind of attitude before to now seemingly enjoying the competition and thriving with it.

A lot of other names could be mentioned too. I really hope our transfers this summer continue to reflect that kind of attitude.

You say this having absolutely no idea of the mentality of Lennon (or Kaboul for that matter).

Have a read of some of the comments that Martinez has made about Lennon since he went to Everton. They don't strike me as comments about a player with a poor mentality.

I don't think he has poor mentality either but something has woken him up
I'm guessing the fact he was loaned out was the trigger. If he comes back and plays with the same desire and hunger he is showing at Everton surely there is a place for him in the squad.

You say this having absolutely no idea of the mentality of Lennon (or Kaboul for that matter).

Have a read of some of the comments that Martinez has made about Lennon since he went to Everton. They don't strike me as comments about a player with a poor mentality.

If you did your job for 10 years, and had got no better at it than when you started, there would be questions raised about your mentality, no?

His off-field issues are well documented too. His drinking ring with Hudd and Livermore. Being cast out of the England setup, despite being better than the other RW options over the past 5 years etc.

I'm guessing the fact he was loaned out was the trigger. If he comes back and plays with the same desire and hunger he is showing at Everton surely there is a place for him in the squad.

It's not just about what happens on the pitch.

What was reported/speculated on was that a huge part of the falling out between members in the squad this fall/early winter was over some established players not working as hard as some other players in training. Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor were swiftly dropped as it seemed Pochettino seemingly sided with some of the younger players in the squad on this issue. Lennon was, like those 3, far from the squad and shipped out on loan at the first opportunity.

I don't know for sure what Lennon has and hasn't done in training over the last couple of years and in his Spurs career in general. I can't remember ever hearing claims about him being a particularly good trainer. Unlike what we've heard about Bale, Modric, Defoe and a handful others in the past and a very solid chunk of our current players like those mentioned above. I got the feeling that he was more content where he was and not someone to push himself hard every day type, a bit like GB is saying. But I obviously can't be sure. I think that explanation fits better with him leaving the club on loan in January with no one coming in to replace him.

I'm hoping we get a bit of a synergy effect from having a relatively large group of players who are true professionals looking to improve day in day out. It must surely be a huge inspiration for players like Pritchard coming back from loan, Alli coming in a new young signing and our current development squad players like Onomah to see young first team players be very hard working in training, push their way into the first team and continue to work hard. I really think that's the kind of effect that can spread in a group of players and a club and set a standard that others will be more likely to live up to. I think this is what Pochettino is trying to do.

If Lennon wants to be a part of that, is in fact ready to start working his socks off every day in training to improve, to be a role model for younger players and push himself to get better at this stage of his career I would certainly be delighted to see him back at the club. Regardless of what has happened before, and again - not claiming to know for sure what has happened before.

Have to agree.

It's not just about what happens on the pitch.

What was reported/speculated on was that a huge part of the falling out between members in the squad this fall/early winter was over some established players not working as hard as some other players in training. Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor were swiftly dropped as it seemed Pochettino seemingly sided with some of the younger players in the squad on this issue. Lennon was, like those 3, far from the squad and shipped out on loan at the first opportunity.

I don't know for sure what Lennon has and hasn't done in training over the last couple of years and in his Spurs career in general. I can't remember ever hearing claims about him being a particularly good trainer. Unlike what we've heard about Bale, Modric, Defoe and a handful others in the past and a very solid chunk of our current players like those mentioned above. I got the feeling that he was more content where he was and not someone to push himself hard every day type, a bit like GB is saying. But I obviously can't be sure. I think that explanation fits better with him leaving the club on loan in January with no one coming in to replace him.

I'm hoping we get a bit of a synergy effect from having a relatively large group of players who are true professionals looking to improve day in day out. It must surely be a huge inspiration for players like Pritchard coming back from loan, Alli coming in a new young signing and our current development squad players like Onomah to see young first team players be very hard working in training, push their way into the first team and continue to work hard. I really think that's the kind of effect that can spread in a group of players and a club and set a standard that others will be more likely to live up to. I think this is what Pochettino is trying to do.

If Lennon wants to be a part of that, is in fact ready to start working his socks off every day in training to improve, to be a role model for younger players and push himself to get better at this stage of his career I would certainly be delighted to see him back at the club. Regardless of what has happened before, and again - not claiming to know for sure what has happened before.

In his early Spurs years, Lennon would be out in Leeds most weekends. Used to see him in Oceana all the time. He would just stand at the bar watching the dance floor with a big gang of his mates. I don't know if that's still the case.

Back