• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Ha ha these reactions are embarrassing. We finished 6th with a similar team last year. We sacked a manager and hugely under performed, what we need is a manager with a plan and some stability. I'm disappointed we're not getting Welbeck, but apart from that we are in MUCH better shape than this time last year, or at the end of the January window.

Yes we did. Which would be fine if pretty much all of our rivals hadn't improved.

Yes we did. Which would be fine if pretty much all of our rivals hadn't improved.

Everton haven't. Arsenal arguably haven't (not in the positions they need to). I would suggest they're our rivals, not Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool.

We finally have a manager who seems to know what he's doing. We spent a ****load last summer, he should be able to improve those players. We plugged the obvious holes in our squad and where we couldn't do deals for our number 1 targets, we didn't hang around but instead identified other options and got deals done.

We all want shiny new toys and world class players, but that's not reality.

We've hardly done nothing. We have a new manager and 6 new players.

Sorry, I didn't mean nothing the whole window. I'm quite happy with what we have done but a final push would have been great. Surely we can all see that there were areas and players who would have improved our squad?

Some people need a reality check. Poch doesnt usually sign more than 2-3 in a window and we've got 6. Poch was clearly given the instruction to get the best out of the current squad, to which most on here accepted. Its not like our signings last season were a load of rubbish, each and every one of them were talented individuals. Poch has now assessed everyone and clearly prioritised the defence. We've had two weeks of competitive football, it will be a few months before Poch can properly stamp his ethos and style of play on the team and only once then will we really know where we need to strengthen. He could easily feel he could get the best out of Soldado for example, ok it was only pre season but he amongst others looked good and we dont necessarily need another new shiny thing and if we do we could well go in January. Lets just wait and see, one or two more signings and it would have been exactly like last year,another almost complete new team needing another year to adapt. A few tweeks in defence and a change in style of play will do fine for now thanks....

Sorry, I didn't mean nothing the whole window. I'm quite happy with what we have done but a final push would have been great. Surely we can all see that there were areas and players who would have improved our squad?

I'm disappointed we didn't get Welbeck because I think he would suit what we need up front and at left wing. Other than that, we've done well in plugging the gaping holes we had. There's no point just signing someone like Bony for the sake of it. He would add more depth and competition, but that's about it. If we're spending £20m, we need to be sure that they're going to make a huge difference.

I'm disappointed we didn't get Welbeck because I think he would suit what we need up front and at left wing. Other than that, we've done well in plugging the gaping holes we had. There's no point just signing someone like Bony for the sake of it. He would add more depth and competition, but that's about it. If we're spending £20m, we need to be sure that they're going to make a huge difference.

No you are right I was just hoping we took a chance on Sadio Mane. I'm still not convinced Lamela will be a success and watching the Liverpool match we could have done with some one to take the pressure off and attack at times.

Better to wait 5 months and get Rodriguez for LWF IMO. A considerably better player than Wellbeck and will be cheaper (fee and wages) too.

I think Poch still want Moreno/ Musacchio, Schneiderlin and Rodriguez, and we'll move for them again.

I don't think Fazio and Stombouli were second options, they were replacements for different players (Fazio for Dawson, whereas Moreno/ Musacchio will be for Kaboul; and Stombouli for Sandro, whereas Schneiderlin will be for Dembele).

I don't think we were ever really in for a striker - a few tenuous links aside i don't recall much coming out, so i don't think we've missed out there.

Wing Forward looks the one position we wanted which we failed to bring in, possibly we're happy to wait for J.Rodriguez either in Jan or the summer - a loan move for Wellbeck could back that thinking up.

Left back, center back, back up GK and central midfield have all been added to - not our first choices for most of those but they all seem to be similar types of players (in style at least) to our primary targets - which to me says we're doing better than last summer when the style of player changed as went down the list of targets.

Not a perfect window but far from the calamity some seem to think

I don't think we were ever really in for a striker - a few tenuous links aside i don't recall much coming out, so i don't think we've missed out there.

Wing Forward looks the one position we wanted which we failed to bring in, possibly we're happy to wait for J.Rodriguez either in Jan or the summer - a loan move for Wellbeck could back that thinking up.

I think that's exactly it. Ade's attitude, Soldado's pre-season and Kane's emergence obviously seem to have negated the need for a CF in Poch's mind.

Getting a LWF in who can also cover as a 4th CF looks like the ideal situation and I think Rodriguez was the only name in the frame (with Wellbeck loan considered as an interim solution).

Probably waiting for Rodriguez in January.

Agreed with all above, and that makes sense. It's annoying Welbeck has gone to the gooners, but I don't think he is what they need in any way. They have Sanchez, Walcot, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Podolski (who can't get a game) who play that position off the top of my head. I'm sure Welbeck will be deployed as their main striker, but I don't think he's good enough to be that.

Last edited:
Liverpool - Balotelli
Man Utd - Falcao/Di Maria
Chelsea - Costa/Fab
Arsenal - Sanchez/Wellbeck
Emirates Marketing Project - Got enough already

It's odd but everybody would have said the same about us 1 year ago. Many of the above signings won't work out for whatever reason.

I think this is one of the most important seasons that we as a clubs have ever faced. In the 1990s and early 2000s, we made many expensive transfer mistakes which sent us back to a mid table side despite a top 5 budget. Hence I agree with the above and we could fall backward very quickly...I am sure that the fans will expect us to be higher in the table than 6-7th but I think this is most likely.

So far it looks like that the Baldini signings have been overpriced, mediocre and not quite suitable for the PL. The only hope is that Poch can improve and coach the players we have into a top 5 finish.

It's odd but everybody would have said the same about us 1 year ago. Many of the above signings won't work out for whatever reason.

I think this is one of the most important seasons that we as a clubs have ever faced. In the 1990s and early 2000s, we made many expensive transfer mistakes which sent us back to a mid table side despite a top 5 budget. Hence I agree with the above and we could fall backward very quickly...I am sure that the fans will expect us to be higher in the table than 6-7th but I think this is most likely.

So far it looks like that the Baldini signings have been overpriced, mediocre and not quite suitable for the PL. The only hope is that Poch can improve and coach the players we have into a top 5 finish.

I think we are pretty nailed on to finish 6th again (ahead of Everton), maybe 5th depending how much United manage to cover up their shoddy defence.

If we do that for the next 3 seasons, win a couple of cups, that will be great. Then the stadium opens and we can think about making an EPL challenge.

I'd still say it's too early to properly judge any of Baldini's signings - the 3 managers in 6 months situation didn't help anyone. It was interesting that none of last summer's signings were let go.

Looking at the 28 players in our squad this season:
- 12 are Baldini signings (Vorm, Davies, Dier, Fazio, Chiriches, Capoue, Paulinho, Eriksen, Stombouli, Lamela, Chadli, Soldado)
- 9 were signed prior to Baldini (Jol - Lennon; Redknapp - Friedel, Walker, Naughton, Kaboul; AVB - Lloris, Verts, Dembele, Ade)
- 7 came up from the youth team (Rose, Veljkovic, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend, Ceballos, Kane)

So it's already weighted towards being a Baldini squad.

I think we are pretty nailed on to finish 6th again (ahead of Everton), maybe 5th depending how much United manage to cover up their shoddy defence.

If we do that for the next 3 seasons, win a couple of cups, that will be great. Then the stadium opens and we can think about making an EPL challenge.

I'd still say it's too early to properly judge any of Baldini's signings - the 3 managers in 6 months situation didn't help anyone. It was interesting that none of last summer's signings were let go.

Looking at the 28 players in our squad this season:
- 12 are Baldini signings (Vorm, Davies, Dier, Fazio, Chiriches, Capoue, Paulinho, Eriksen, Stombouli, Lamela, Chadli, Soldado)
- 9 were signed prior to Baldini (Jol - Lennon; Redknapp - Friedel, Walker, Naughton, Kaboul; AVB - Lloris, Verts, Dembele, Ade)
- 7 came up from the youth team (Rose, Veljkovic, Bentaleb, Mason, Townsend, Ceballos, Kane)

So it's already weighted towards being a Baldini squad.

Fair assessment of where we are GB.

Many cannot draw back and see the situation in overview mode. We are unfortunately in the most competetive era of the premier (and probably old div 1) league ever. 2 clubs are financially doped, 1 a commercial behemoth and 1 with a long term manager that has got them results.

We try to compete with a 36,000 stadium. And compete we do. We are regular top 6 finishers, sometimes top 4 and sometimes a gnats breath away from top 4 or just miss a CL spot by some rule that probably now does not exist.

Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Twente are our role models. Under the top level but with the right guy in charge you can punch well above your weight. (talking trophies)

And this is what Levy wants. The right guy. The main reason is so we continue to be competitive even during the biggest project THFC have ever undertaken. Wenger was a godsend for the scum when the emirates was built.

Levy thought AVB was the man. Maybe AVB blinded him with presentations and masterplans (music to levys ears). It didn't work out. He likes the look of Poch, what he did at Southampton was admirable. Took players (some relatively unknown) improved them, improved the team, the way they played and made many of them multi-million pound assets. Levy will love all that.

It is a step up for Poch but regardless of who the names are (ie players) a lot rests on him to replicate his good work at Southamton, and on the basis that he has better quality and more to work with if he gets it right we could cause some damage.

Beware though, Liverpool and Everton probably believe (rightfully so) that they too have men that fall into Poch's catergory.

People micro-analyse to quickly, jump to conclusions and want things shaken up every other week.............let the man do his job.

And to bring it back on topic ,we still signed 6 players......i wish 4 or5 of them were signed yesterday so the people f*cked of with 'nothing happening wtf' should have at least ****ed all over their keyboard.

Fair assessment of where we are GB.

Many cannot draw back and see the situation in overview mode. We are unfortunately in the most competetive era of the premier (and probably old div 1) league ever. 2 clubs are financially doped, 1 a commercial behemoth and 1 with a long term manager that has got them results.

We try to compete with a 36,000 stadium. And compete we do. We are regular top 6 finishers, sometimes top 4 and sometimes a gnats breath away from top 4 or just miss a CL spot by some rule that probably now does not exist.

Atletico Madrid, Dortmund, Twente are our role models. Under the top level but with the right guy in charge you can punch well above your weight. (talking trophies)

And this is what Levy wants. The right guy. The main reason is so we continue to be competitive even during the biggest project THFC have ever undertaken. Wenger was a godsend for the scum when the emirates was built.

Levy thought AVB was the man. Maybe AVB blinded him with presentations and masterplans (music to levys ears). It didn't work out. He likes the look of Poch, what he did at Southampton was admirable. Took players (some relatively unknown) improved them, improved the team, the way they played and made many of them multi-million pound assets. Levy will love all that.

It is a step up for Poch but regardless of who the names are (ie players) a lot rests on him to replicate his good work at Southamton, and on the basis that he has better quality and more to work with if he gets it right we could cause some damage.

Beware though, Liverpool and Everton probably believe (rightfully so) that they too have men that fall into Poch's catergory.

People micro-analyse to quickly, jump to conclusions and want things shaken up every other week.............let the man do his job.

And to bring it back on topic ,we still signed 6 players......i wish 4 or5 of them were signed yesterday so the people f*cked of with 'nothing happening wtf' should have at least ****ed all over their keyboard.

Agree with most of this. However the new stadium is too small to make any notable change. All the growth is abroad.

My view is that we need to stop thinking like the rest of the league and differentiate ourselves from the tag that we are a more than an above average PL club. We cannot compete on salaries and transfer fees so we need to offer something else to attract and retain top players and staff.

This starts with changing the perspective of everybody that views the club from the outside. The most interesting development this summer has been the Utd signings which have demonstrated that you don't even need to have European football to sign anybody, just PL football and the profile.

I've travelled a lot and know that our profile is not good abroad, we are only known as the club that had Klinsmann, Davids, Berbs, Bale and VdV. We need to take positive steps to improve our international profile thus yielding more fans, tv fans and therefore players into the medium term.

1. Attacking and entertaining football.
2. One world class attacking player at all times. This player will define us internationally.
3. Greater access to the club through TV and media. The more open and natural we are the more fans we will find.

Sent from my iPad using Fapatalk

Many cannot draw back and see the situation in overview mode. We are unfortunately in the most competetive era of the premier (and probably old div 1) league ever. 2 clubs are financially doped....

I think you're spot on, we need to be a bit patient. After all Rodgers was close to be "put to rest" by a large majority of the Pool fans after the first six months in charge...

Back