• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Lock and send this thread to Classics and officialy declare 'diving' ok to do and never to criticise our opponents again when they do it

Pretty much this.

Bale doesn't have to writhe around if he has innocently attempted to avoid a challenge.

It would be the only sensible thing to do since it now appears to be somehow acceptable within fans

So let it be a reference for the future. We all stand by our words - so be it

Yeah, thats pretty much the way I saw it. Skrtl did it a few times as well, went in for a ridiculous fast challenge at hip height and then had the audacity to accuse Spurs players of making a meal. Dalglish all the way, nobody is going to tell me it was not a pre thought out tactic on their part.

I dont get how people throw this out as a flat out dive just because there was no contact. This is basically the equivalent of when children hover their hands around each others face, then go "Oh but Im not doing anything". Agger was going in for the kick. Pure and simple.

I agree with those who says that Bale dives too much, I don't like it either. But I also agree with those saying that players who gets seriously ruffed up are more prone to diving, or simply pulling out of tackles. Referees and the authorities ruins the flair in football by not protecting players from lengthy injuries, even if the problem is adressed more than for just a few years back. But this is all in retrospect, what does a couple of matches suspended help the player injured for months, or his team - or even the outcome of the game?

The rule should be that if you'd get punished for it on the street, you should be punished for it a game. Deliberately or forcefully stamping on someone's head or planting an elbow in someone's face? This would easily get you 3-6 months in jail. Why not a similar ban for such uncivilised behaviour on the field? Remember Cantona got suspended for 8 months for doing something which did more harm to his image as a proficient martial artist than physical damage to the fan involved. Of course some common sense should be involved as it's in the heat of the game and under high pressure, but it's still far less important to save the Bartons' and Flaminis' careers than the players they injure.

While hard tackling is part and parcel of the game, there are simply no excuses for jumping in two-footed studs-up, or targeting players legs. Such tackles are solely for injuring or scaring the brick out of the receiving player. It ruined Diego Maradona, and on a slightly lesser scale it has taken the cutting edge out of our own Aaron Lennon. There are many examples of skillful players who hasn't got their potential fulfilled due to individuals who shouldn't be walking the streets, let alone enter a football pitch.

He got a bad treatment from Skrtel last night so i think he just wanted to pull out of this challenge.

Bale is a legend, he wouldnt dive.:D

My only complaint about Bale was that he was like a tribute act to himself
looked a bit like him, but just a pale imitation of the real thing.

I'm with the crowd that think he was anticipating getting chopped and GTF out of the way - good for him. Every time he touched the ball it was like a remake of Shaun of the Dead, with a load of bloodstained corpses chasing him around

Mick. I don't know what has happened, but I find virtually all your posts these days on the money. This is the PERFECT description of last night for Bale, and the sooner the sanctimonious piousness around here clears enough for people to recognize it, the better. Well said Sir!

Agger is the captain of my national team, but he's a chav to the bone and a nasty piece of work, despite being a brilliant footballer (hampered by chronic muscle injuries).

I don't like him one bit and wouldn't be suprised to see him do a Terry.

Again people, from someone who really knows. If you couldn't see the intent in his initial move, you're blind!

Couldnt disagree more. Yes Bale was anticipating getting chopped and got out the way, but when he landed he knew he wasnt touched and still tried to get the foul against him. He should have got up and held his hand up. Thats the difference, he tried to cheat.

Total, and utter, gonad*s mate.
Agger and Skrtel were trying to do him all night. Bale was exasperated. No protection. He sought some out.I understand the driving need to look fair and impartial, but don't be scared of 'appearing' biased when actually you'd be applying context and common sense. I still heave my fat arse around a pitch twice a week, and if someone comes across to try and do me, number one I try and get out of the way, and number two I give them an almighty gonad*ing, followed by a 'return' action the net opportunity. I will ask them if they really want to to play that way;if they say yes, then I use my superior size and strength to make them wish they hadn't (incidentally, I always said I was a big-boned man until my doctor told me the stomach doesn't have any bones in it!)...no, I sympathize with Bale 100%.

I'm with Arcy. Attitude of some here, just like diving, is deplorable

I'm with Mick here, the attitude of some here, just like repeatedly going to 'do' a player and protesting innocence, is deplorable.

(that was easy wasn't it Linnet? let's ease off on the sanctimonious judgement eh?)

tumblr_lz0atwxHJD1r8fm3eo1_500.gif

gonad*s to trying to protect himself, he goes down after he has gone past Agger. Disgraceful behaviour.

Until the FA/FIFA start introducing retrospective bans for this sort of brick, it'll carry on. And it's highly embarrassing that a player at Spurs, especially one as good as Bale, is doing it.

gonad*s to trying to protect himself, he goes down after he has gone past Agger. Disgraceful behaviour.

Until the FA/FIFA start introducing retrospective bans for this sort of brick, it'll carry on. And it's highly embarrassing that a player at Spurs, especially one as good as Bale, is doing it.

look at how Agger approached with his right leg hanging out looking like he was about to go over the top on Bale

and you seriously expect Bale not to see it and try and dive out the way of that?????

despicable? do you play the game or just watch on tv, because if you play and you saw an opponent approaching you like that im sure you too would be a bit worried at what Agger was about to do, especially if you were like Bale and have suffered some really serious injuries in the past because of over the top challenges by opponents

Sure it does not look pretty. But all Agger is doing is obstructing Bales run, he gets nothing of the ball, would have gotten the player if Bale had not moved out of the way. Just because of this Bale loses ground in his run versus Johnson. It is always a foul. Even though Agger essentially did "Nothing" . What Agger is doing is cheap and dirty, pretty much how I would describe Liverpools behavior through the entire game. I think it is really harsh to label Bale for incidents like these, because not only is he a lot of the time taking several players on, while at the same time forced to deal with the Aggers of the game who just get involved to have a kick, like we see here. Labeling him as a diver because he did not wait for the contact to his knee is just wrong.

But he's a Tottenham player he must have been diving out of the way :p

I'm with Mick here, the attitude of some here, just like repeatedly going to 'do' a player and protesting innocence, is deplorable.

(that was easy wasn't it Linnet? let's ease off on the sanctimonious judgement eh?)

What has someone going to "do" a player, as you so eloquently put it, got to do with my opinion of peoples attitude towards diving and one of our own doing it? He dived, he dives, it's a disgusting act that has infected football to a horrible degree. If he played for another team, 90% of posters opinion would be completely different, but because he is wearing a Spurs shirt he's allowed to do it. Hypocrites.

Oh and that Gif just posted clearly shows he's past Agger before diving so the argument of him avoiding the challenge is invalid.

I see no different to Bale's than I do of Hoillett's that Greg posted a gif of in the weekend football thread and he was getting slaughtered in there

That gif also shows Agger trying to kick Bale in the knee. Would it have mattered if he had taken the hit ?

You can check out that gif better on http://gifninja.com/ btw. There you can see that the ball is played behind Agger, who kicks in front of him self in the direction of Bale. The kick also starts after the ball is passed Agger.. Never, ever going for the ball.

Last edited:
Back