• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Food Thread

Have you cooked a 2 inch thick steak?

once, on a bbq - and it took forever tbf and was still rare !

but in a pan over a hob id cook a 1 inch ish piece for a couple of minutes on each side - the recipe above is talking about a 1.5 inch piece, no ? seems OTT to me

Home1.jpg

When we started out we had a simple plan – to open the best steak restaurant in London.

We travelled the world, from steakhouse to steakhouse, searching for the perfect steak, but discovered that beef from traditional breeds reared the old fashioned way right here in Britain and cooked simply over real charcoal, packed more flavour than anything we tried on our travels.

Although we’ve had plenty of ‘best steak in London’ plaudits we’re not resting on our laurels. We want you to have a fantastic meal and most of all to enjoy yourselves while you are with us. We’d love your feedback, which you can leave here, so we can try to keep improving. It will go straight to us and we will always respond as quickly as we can.

Will & Huw
http://www.thehawksmoor.co.uk/

P.S. We're told that billyiddo thinks our steak recipe is brick, so we're shutting down next month

Check out their book by the way. It has some fudging amazing recipes.

lol

heard good things of their restaurant, it's in Shoreditch right ? there's one in Battersea that's meant to be good, San Maria del Sur, Argentinian

either of you two had a Kobe/wagu steak before ?

Last edited:
Sounds nice, but too fatty for my liking. I tend to use flora cuisine when cooking roast vegetables. It's an excellent low fat substitute for goose/duck fat, and gives a more buttery flavour than olive oil. I wouldn't use anything else nowadays.

Edit. This was in response to the roast potato recipe posted earlier by southstand1882. Sorry.

That looks nice, but it isn't rare!

I've gotten into cooking Yum Nua (Thai beef salad). If you get the suace right, it's lovely and piquant. Then bang it up a notch with lots of chilli.

The steak dish I love making is Steak Diane. Never mind what the recipes say, tenderise the meat and then let it marinade in LOTS of Dijon mustard (use a basting brush) for an hour before you start to cook it, rather than adding to the sauce. Flamb?® the steak in a nice cognac and then add all of it, including juices to the sauce to finish off.

For the sauce, I use shallots, mushrooms, cream, and a little garlic. Smashing.

The steak dish I love making is Steak Diane. Never mind what the recipes say, tenderise the meat and then let it marinade in LOTS of Dijon mustard (use a basting brush) for an hour before you start to cook it, rather than adding to the sauce. Flamb?® the steak in a nice cognac and then add all of it, including juices to the sauce to finish off.

That sounds amazing

What cut of meat do you use?

That looks nice, but it isn't rare!

I've gotten into cooking Yum Nua (Thai beef salad). If you get the suace right, it's lovely and piquant. Then bang it up a notch with lots of chilli.

reading that has just done my nut in, i've had 4 welsh hill lamb cutlets tonight but if you brought that to me now on a plate....i would demolish it.

moroccan food is where it's at! chickpeas, tagines, couscous, mint tea, eggplant, harira... i could turn vegetarian for that brick.

but i won't.

moroccan food is where it's at! chickpeas, tagines, couscous, mint tea, eggplant, harira... i could turn vegetarian for that brick.

but i won't.

I love couscous - ridiculously easy to make a rather healthy. One of our staple foods when camping due to its ease of preparation. Add some sun-dried tomato, chillis and rosemary to the bowl after pouring the boiling water. Allow to steam for 5 minutes.

It is in my book, what do you call rare?

I'll write that again, I misread the question!

A blue steak should literally be flash fried to seal it off, with no actual "cooking". Rare, then, should be sealed/seared and slightly cooked off, so the inside is going to be red.

A medium steak will be slightly pink and you shouldn't lose all colour until it is completely well done. Pink isn't rare, it's medium and shows signs that it has cooked right through to the centre of the steak.

Last edited:
That sounds amazing

What cut of meat do you use?

Hey mate, I'd normally go rump or sirloin. There's no point getting anything on the bone as you're going to take it straight off and tenderise it. Not as thin as a minute steak, but you want to get it pretty thin. Then, of course, your cook times are going to come right down as well.

Back