• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

First ever penalty after use of video

Mike Deans yesterday, would you allow video refs to overule them decisions and would they?

I think the only sensible way to arrange matters would involve looking at the video before any decision about cards was taken. If the match ref saw fit to send someone off without recourse to video, then that's his decision and that would be the end of it.

I think the only sensible way to arrange matters would involve looking at the video before any decision about cards was taken. If the match ref saw fit to send someone off without recourse to video, then that's his decision and that would be the end of it.

I am not trying to be funny by asking these questions I am just interested in peoples views as I see football as different to Crickets and DRS and Rugby which are used for more factual decisions, was it LBW, was it caught, was it a forward pass. In football you have goaline tech, you can add offsides and was the ball out, but anything else is opinion and thats where I think video tech could not add value t the game, if that makes sense

I am not trying to be funny by asking these questions I am just interested in peoples views as I see football as different to Crickets and DRS and Rugby which are used for more factual decisions, was it LBW, was it caught, was it a forward pass. In football you have goaline tech, you can add offsides and was the ball out, but anything else is opinion and thats where I think video tech could not add value t the game, if that makes sense

In my view, it's just about giving the ref more information, if he wants it. Decisions that involve the referee's opinion are still going to involve his opinion, but it's a question of giving him the best shot at getting it right.

Do you think the rules are too open and don't back the refs? Are we frying the refs and linos brains on the laws that are also making them look bad/not backing them up? Wimmer v Arsenal being one, yesterdays tackle I suppose in todays laws you could argue in favour of a Ref (I expect the FA to and uphold it BTW).

Do you think the rules are too open and don't back the refs? Are we frying the refs and linos brains on the laws that are also making them look bad/not backing them up? Wimmer v Arsenal being one, yesterdays tackle I suppose in todays laws you could argue in favour of a Ref (I expect the FA to and uphold it BTW).

I think they have tied themselves up in knots to an extent with some of the rules, but the majority of decisions are clear-cut once you've seen a replay or two, and it would take a lot of needless pressure off them in my view. Might improve the life expectancy of a few managers as well!

So unless video refereeing is perfect the improvement in refereeing it would being is pointless?

I would very much welcome a conversation about where the line should be drawn in various close decisions accepting that perfect refereeing would still be impossible.

No I am not saying that, I think its good for factual based decisions but I don't want to see every decision and the sport sanitised on opinion that's all.

The sport has gone a fair way now where there is a lack of self blame in the sport which is where ALOT of this comes from, I am going to be very interested to see where technology, if implemented takes this part of the world. What will the Peps, Mourinhos and Wengers fall back on when the games perfect and they don't win games or the league?

I am not trying to be funny by asking these questions I am just interested in peoples views as I see football as different to Crickets and DRS and Rugby which are used for more factual decisions, was it LBW, was it caught, was it a forward pass.
Wrong. In rugby it is used for lots of "non-factual decisions" if you want to call them that. E.g. was it an intentionally high tackle or did the player duck down, did he use his shoulder, did he take the man in the air and throw him down, did he get a touch on the ball under control to get the try... the referee just signals to the video ref to make a call or to watch it back from several angles, then a BETTER decision is made. It is 100 times better to look at it from 5 angles in slow motion and think it through, rather than expect some overweight spod to guess right whilst running and having his view impeded in real time.

Back