• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

He is not a starter he is an impact sub

We need to start Son up top on Saturday
He had 1 goal in over 20 games as a sub, and 9 goals in 9 games as a starter....

He had virtually nothing to work with today. Generally poor crosses that didn't reach him, and the ones that did where crossed too late, when all movement had stopped, so it was easy for the defenders.

He had 1 goal in over 20 games as a sub, and 9 goals in 9 games as a starter....

He had virtually nothing to work with today. Generally poor crosses that didn't reach him, and the ones that did where crossed too late, when all movement had stopped, so it was easy for the defenders.

The problem is he hasn't any movement in the box, he standstill, very few people can leap high from a standing start and all the good headers of a ball attack the ball rather than wait for it, for someone with such an imposing stature he offer little to no physical presence and doesn't intimidate defenders. He take a good throw-in.

The problem is he hasn't any movement in the box, he standstill, very few people can leap high from a standing start and all the good headers of a ball attack the ball rather than wait for it, for someone with such an imposing stature he offer little to no physical presence and doesn't intimidate defenders. He take a good throw-in.
To do that, the cross needs to come fairly early, when players are running into the box. We didn't. We got it wide, passed it back, then centrally again, then wide, and back and wide and THEN a (poor) cross. How the fudge is he then supposed to win a header vs 10 defenders?

To do that, the cross needs to come fairly early, when players are running into the box. We didn't. We got it wide, passed it back, then centrally again, then wide, and back and wide and THEN a (poor) cross. How the fudge is he then supposed to win a header vs 10 defenders?

I have little confidence in him win a header on target against 1 defender unless they are 5'6" and timid.

His 100 or so headed goals must be a uncanny set of flukes I guess.

Ok you love him his 100 goals were probably when he stiil had legs which he hasn't at this level, what is it about Spanish strikers who can't buy a goal that everyone loves? If he was Messi I could understand why people think we should change our way of playing to suit his play but not a slow immobile striker, early balls into the box would be a great waste on time as he would never get to them.

Ok you love him his 100 goals were probably when he stiil had legs which he hasn't at this level, what is it about Spanish strikers who can't buy a goal that everyone loves? If he was Messi I could understand why people think we should change our way of playing to suit his play but not a slow immobile striker, early balls into the box would be a great waste on time as he would never get to them.
Their handsome looks I reckon

His past certainly isnt something to use to predict his future or current state, especially not at this stage of his career

The guy simply doesn’t work against teams that do the basics well IMO

He is better off the bench as he hasn’t scored a premier league goal for us this season has he? But coming on he has had impacts

The Legless Wonder.

Their handsome looks I reckon

His past certainly isnt something to use to predict his future or current state, especially not at this stage of his career

The guy simply doesn’t work against teams that do the basics well IMO

He is better off the bench as he hasn’t scored a premier league goal for us this season has he? But coming on he has had impacts
Agree but don’t think even coming off the bench he would have had any impact in that game, their CBs would have gobbled up anything aerial. Honestly believe Jansen would be more of an asset in these type of games, he has mobility, strength and has a good shot on him from distance(yes I’m well aware of his bleak scoring record for us). When he was on loan I saw him a few times for Holland and he was the focal point of the attack and looked really good playing in a free flowing footballing side. Really think there’s something to work with....

PL this season: 1 goal, 2 assists in 5 starts.
0 goals, 2 assists in 13 sub apperances. Total of 490 minutes played for both starts and sub appearances. That's actually not too shabby.
More importantly, llorente may be older and be less mobile, but I still have more confidence in him scoring than Janssen.

PL this season: 1 goal, 2 assists in 5 starts.
0 goals, 2 assists in 13 sub apperances. Total of 490 minutes played for both starts and sub appearances. That's actually not too shabby.

We play hoof ball with him on the pitch, we don’t have the players to play that way.

His touch and passing last night was woeful, Christian tried to play a simple 1-2 with him a number of times and the ball bounced off him.

We play hoof ball with him on the pitch, we don’t have the players to play that way.

His touch and passing last night was woeful, Christian tried to play a simple 1-2 with him a number of times and the ball bounced off him.

We play the wrong kind of hoof ball with him, my observations from live (Huddersfield game) and last night

- We never leverage his play off the shoulder of the defender positioning
- Last night Trippier refused to put in early crosses, hence by time the cross came their were 3 or 4 players around him
- His lack of pace, both in movement and quick touch doesn't fit with us (same as Siggy), we play best when everything is at a faster tempo, not his game.

He's been a useful player, but sometimes it shows how much he doesn't fit the system (and in some ways how much our system doesn't adapt)

We play the wrong kind of hoof ball with him, my observations from live (Huddersfield game) and last night

- We never leverage his play off the shoulder of the defender positioning
- Last night Trippier refused to put in early crosses, hence by time the cross came their were 3 or 4 players around him
- His lack of pace, both in movement and quick touch doesn't fit with us (same as Siggy), we play best when everything is at a faster tempo, not his game.

He's been a useful player, but sometimes it shows how much he doesn't fit the system (and in some ways how much our system doesn't adapt)

I understand when you say our system doesn't adapt, but it's difficult to get players to stop doing what they have done successfully all season (3rd in league, CL semi final) to stop looking for the pass or making that run and just hit it somewhere in the hope he's managed to get away from a defender, he's the type of player you can touch mark as he's never going to beat you with a quick turn or burst of speed.

And exactly the same happened when he tried it with Son or Moura. It came to nothing. What's your point?

Fernando Llorente exclusive interview: Deputising for Harry Kane and eyeing Tottenham glory

Fernando Llorente tells Sky Sports about the physical and mental challenges of playing back-up to Harry Kane, why he has no regrets about joining Tottenham over Chelsea, what makes Mauricio Pochettino special and why he would "love" to extend his contract.

It is two days on from Tottenham's 1-0 defeat to Ajax in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final, and Fernando Llorente is reclining on a sofa at their north London training ground as he tries to find the right words to sum up the opening 30-minute spell which ultimately cost them the game.

"Sometimes it's difficult to explain why, but they were able to dominate the beginning of the game and the truth is that we weren't able to put them under enough pressure," he tells Sky Sports. "We wanted to start well, to be aggressive, but we didn't manage it and it left us in a bad place."

A bad place, but not an impossible one. The narrow deficit means Tottenham can still dream of reaching their first Champions League final. It is a tantalising prospect. For Llorente, it is also a case of unfinished business. The striker, a late substitute when Juventus were beaten 3-1 by Barcelona in the 2015 final in Berlin, has been there before.

"It's true I have a little bit of unfinished business," he says. "It's not easy when you come up against a player like Leo Messi, who is from another planet, as well as guys like Neymar and Luis Suarez. You can give your absolute maximum, but this is a sport, and if your opponent is better than you and they beat you for that reason, then there's nothing you can do."

The bad news for Llorente is that, even if Spurs do pull off a historic comeback against Ajax, Messi's latest masterclass against Liverpool means the little genius is likely to stand between him and the trophy once more.

And given Harry Kane's anticipated return from injury, Llorente is also aware that he would probably find himself back on the bench again, too.

'Internally, it's a struggle'
Such is the life of the back-up striker.

Llorente, now 34, had racked up more than 500 appearances for Athletic Bilbao, Juventus, Sevilla and Swansea prior to joining Tottenham in 2017. He had scored close to 200 goals, won a World Cup and a European Championship with Spain as well as a string of club trophies. But since his arrival at Spurs he has swapped regular starts for a supporting role.

Deputising for one of the world's best strikers is an unenviable task.

Llorente has made vital contributions this season, not least his decisive goal in Tottenham's extraordinary Champions League quarter-final win over Emirates Marketing Project. But Wednesday's game against Ajax was only his 20th start in the last two years.

"It's something you have to adapt to," he says. "I am at a great club with incredible players, and in the end the manager has to make decisions, because only 11 players can play. It's not easy for him and, with players of that quality, it's not easy to get into the team.

"Internally, it's a struggle. Because in the end what all players want is to play every Sunday, so every time you don't, it's a disappointment. But that's also where you learn to be mentally strong and say, 'Okay, I'm not playing but I have to keep working hard every day and I have to be ready every when the opportunity comes and the míster needs me.'

"That is the idea I always have in my head, but it's also where it is most difficult, because the only way to really get up to speed is to play 90 minutes regularly. That's particularly the case for me because of my attributes as a striker. I need to feel strong and be in the best physical condition possible in order to show my best."

'It has definitely been worth it'
It is a testament to his professionalism that Llorente has still succeeded in doing that on numerous occasions this season, scoring eight goals in total, and it also reflects his happiness at the club despite his limited playing time. Llorente had other offers before leaving Swansea for Spurs in 2017, most notably from Chelsea, but he has no regrets.

"At that time I had spent a lot of time talking with Chelsea but they didn't have an agreement with Swansea, whereas Tottenham came in and quickly found an agreement with them," he recalls. "That told me that Mauricio [Pochettino] and his team had a lot of belief in me, and when you are making a decision, that's very important.

"The project excited me, and despite having a secondary role in the team, it has definitely been worth it. It has been a wonderful experience.

"In the majority of my previous clubs I was a regular starter, but I have learnt to experience it in another way. Trophies and games are won by all the players, not just the 11 who start. If something happens during the season and the squad players don't keep fighting and don't keep believing that they can be important, then you are in trouble."

Llorente's contract is due to expire at the end of the season, but does he see himself extending his spell in north London? Does he want to stay at Spurs? His response underlines his team ethic.

"I would love to stay for another year, but the truth is I am not thinking much about that right now. I believe the important thing at the moment is the team, not for individual players to think about themselves.

"We are playing super-important games every few days. We have a very, very difficult match against Bournemouth, who are very strong at home - they beat Chelsea 4-0 there, remember - then it's back to the Champions League. We have to be focused on the job. In a few weeks I'm sure there will be time to think about my future and see what's best for everyone."

'Pochettino gives his players a lot of freedom'
If he does end up staying at Spurs beyond this season, it will owe a lot to his close relationship with Pochettino. Llorente has played under a long line of distinguished managers, from Ernesto Valverde and Marcelo Bielsa at Athletic to Antonio Conte and Massimiliano Allegri at Juventus, but he ranks Pochettino as one of the very best.

"He's a manager who gives a lot of freedom to his players in order to get the best out of them," he says. "He's not the kind of manager who says, 'You have to do this, this and this.' He shows you that he trusts you and he doesn't kick you off the team if you mess up or you do something bad."

That trust has been particularly important during a season in which Tottenham have not signed a single player. In fact, according to Llorente, Pochettino has used it to further strengthen the team's mentality.

"That mentality is something he drums into us. He knows how to motivate us and get the best out of us. It's the way he has of managing the group, planning the training sessions and making sure we are all happy.

"Me, for example, if I am happy and determined every day, if I am enjoying every training session even when I am not playing, it's because of the great job he does managing and planning everything. We have a very good relationship."

The challenge now for Llorente, Pochettino and everyone at Spurs is to finish the season as strongly as possible and see how far it takes them.

Experienced, born leader, played at some of the biggest clubs in the world, champions league experience and it's proving vital at the moment. He just gets it and knows what it takes.

People still want to slag him off, but I'd keep him in our team until he wants to retire, if he'd stay.

He's an incredible influence on our younger players and will help cultivate the club culture that Poch desperately wants.

This. Again. Changed the fudging game.

Back