• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

FAO DIY-ers - (Stone wall cladding)

diego_maradona

Steffen Iversen
Staff member
Recently bought a new house and am in the process of decorating it.

Loving the look of this:

92216_0_8-3831-modern-living-room.jpg

So, are there any experts or know-it-all's who may know a few places where I could get Stone wall cladding similar to this of good quality? (No I don't need anyone to provide me with a LMGTFY link! lol)

I have found a list of potential suppliers but just wanted to know if anyone had used anything similar.

Also what good forums does anyone use for DIY stuff (when you just looking for quick how-to stuff)

Only saw this now

Depending on the product weight it would either have to be mechanical (unlikely if you go for the one in the photo) or a simple adhesive / epoxy fix much like tiling essentially. The one you've shown above is eseentially 'fake' stone which comes in strips of little tiles - i.e. the stones only feature as a texture on the surface - as long as you're aware of that, mate! Think of it as a rought tile in a strip form.

Dune_Stone_Cladding_Strips.jpg

InterlockMulticolorCulturedStone002.JPG

If you go for the 'fake' one above and assuming you have the wall already (existing) you'd need to clean and prepare your plaster and then follow the manufacturer's installation guide.

Google 'ribbon stone cladding installation' - fairly straight forward stuff. If you don't like messy/DYI work - get someone to do it for you - shouldn't cost more than any other tile installation.

This is basically what you're looking at

http://www.durastone.co.za/ez-fit-stone-cladding/

From a personal opinion (being and Architect) - I don't really like that kind of stuff on a fundamental principle of being 'fake' but can understand why many home-owners go that route mainly due its low price vs. aesthetic return

Also - assuming it is essentially the 'texture' you enjoy - there are many other options for a 'feature wall' beyond the stone, mate. Keep in mind and good luck.

You don't need to over think it, in the most basic terms - you are only tiling a wall at the end of the day.

Just make sure you are putting them onto a solid wall that will be able to support the weight (If you are going to have a surround like in the picture and decide to clad that, make sure it can sustain the weight)

This is quite a good site:

http://www.century-stone.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=94

As a personal tip, I would say do not over do it with the stone. It is a very powerful, bold material for an interior and something that one day you could change your mind about.

Only saw this now

Depending on the product weight it would either have to be mechanical (unlikely if you go for the one in the photo) or a simple adhesive / epoxy fix much like tiling essentially. The one you've shown above is eseentially 'fake' stone which comes in strips of little tiles - i.e. the stones only feature as a texture on the surface - as long as you're aware of that, mate! Think of it as a rought tile in a strip form.

Dune_Stone_Cladding_Strips.jpg

InterlockMulticolorCulturedStone002.JPG

If you go for the 'fake' one above and assuming you have the wall already (existing) you'd need to clean and prepare your plaster and then follow the manufacturer's installation guide.

Google 'ribbon stone cladding installation' - fairly straight forward stuff. If you don't like messy/DYI work - get someone to do it for you - shouldn't cost more than any other tile installation.

This is basically what you're looking at

http://www.durastone.co.za/ez-fit-stone-cladding/

From a personal opinion (being and Architect) - I don't really like that kind of stuff on a fundamental principle of being 'fake' but can understand why many home-owners go that route mainly due its low price vs. aesthetic return

Also - assuming it is essentially the 'texture' you enjoy - there are many other options for a 'feature wall' beyond the stone, mate. Keep in mind and good luck.

Thanks mate. What other options do you have in mind for a feature wall?

Yes I am aware it's fake but yes I am literally going for the aesthetic look. I haven't decided nothing just yet for sure, but do like it.

A pebble wall is nice - have seen it in restaurants and bathrooms

I guess you just whack cement or something on the wall and push smooth pebbles into it

Google pebble wall

Thanks mate. What other options do you have in mind for a feature wall?

Yes I am aware it's fake but yes I am literally going for the aesthetic look. I haven't decided nothing just yet for sure, but do like it.

I'm not sure what your current house looks like but brick is another good option (my personal choice). A form of texutred paint or rough plasterwork or even wood cladding are further alternatives. Remember - the ultimate detail here being creating a rough (background) texture which would in turn form a pleasant contrast with the rest of your surrounding smooth walls and clean-edge appliances in front - i.e. the photo above. Perhaps also have a look at the pebbles Bullet mention althohg I'd hazard a guess it would be more expensive and 'messy' - whereas the stone cladding is very cost-effective overall.

Mind you - the stone cladding you posted above is very much a personal preference so if you really like it - by all means. The colour would again depend on the rest of your interior / decor.

Only one bit of advice as mentioned earlier - rather pay a bit extra a have it installed by the suppliers which in turn would place the warranty on them. Whereas if you 'stick' it yourself and 2 months later something goes wrong - the supplier can argue you didn't follow their instructions, blah, blah, etc.

Good luck

Back