• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fanzine - back in the day

Roy1983

Edward Sheringham
What one did you read? I preferred MEHSTG. Is there anywhere you can buy them all in one transaction anymore? There's a dozen or so on eBay but theyre random issues.

The Spur used to be my particular tipple. Sadly missed. I think I bought two of the final issues in case I lost one! Must still be knocking around somewhere at my mum's.....

The Spur used to be my particular tipple. Sadly missed. I think I bought two of the final issues in case I lost one! Must still be knocking around somewhere at my mum's.....

Absolutely. The Spur (subsequently just Spur) was in a league of its own in terms of both quality writing and quality production.

CADD filled the quality fanzine gap after Spur ceased to be, but without ever hitting the same heights.

Absolutely. The Spur (subsequently just Spur) was in a league of its own in terms of both quality writing and quality production.

CADD filled the quality fanzine gap after Spur ceased to be, but without ever hitting the same heights.

As you say the Spur was a must, somewhere in the loft i have loads of them.

I used to buy spurs news when I was a kid. 50p in newspaper form and half the annoying adverts of these days.

Not what you were asking for but the White Card Lane site has some interesting stuff and a cool name. Its mainly player cards, but also has a few interesting old booklets.

The 1948 Official History of Tottenham Hotspurs booklet has some interesting accounts, particularly of the 1901 and 1921 cup runs. The Spurs of 1950 has profiles of Rowe's team that was to win the league title the following year so is interesting as it wasn't an after the event account.

I liked F.O.G. Although it only lasted a few issues, IIRC. There were several like that around the mid 90s peak for fanzines. The Spur was unbeatable though. I do wonder sometimes if we're losing something with the web, which has certainly killed off a large percentage of fanzines.

Last edited:
I liked F.O.G. Although it only lasted a few issues, IIRC. There were several like that around the mid 90s peak for fanzines. The Spur was unbeatable though. I do wonder sometimes if we're losing something with the web, which has certainly killed off a large percentage of fanzines.

Bit of an understatement!

It's killed off 100% of the fanzines, hasn't it? Certainly at Spurs.

Picked up Cadd now and again,was a good read on the train home.
Don't see fanzines at WHL at all now.
When you go to Old Trafford theres about 10 or so different ones being sold outside

Spur, the 90s and the days before the internet ruined everything

Found my old issues of Spur and ****-a-Doddle-Do, scanned a few images (it's in a slideshow, just click on the link). Also found some 'posters' that were handed out at some of the anti-Sugar demos back when El Tel was fighting him in court. Spent the afternoon reading the articles in the fanzines. Truly, amazing content, reflective and funny. Also, so many first team players (Teddy, Klinsmann included) did interviews for them. Can't imagine that ever happening these days with blogs. Also, copied an article about the internet from 1995, which cites the first true Spurs 'community' online (The Spurs-List). Comparing it to today's micro-analysis and 24/7 coverage/discussions, I almost want to regress back to those less chaotic days.

http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2012/9/5/the-good-old-days.html

Back