• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Etienne Capoue

Where was the Badger whilst all this was happening? Oh, that's right, getting too distracted by the Turfies!!

Maybe they feel Holtby, Sigg, Dembele or Chadli are "the penetrator".

Pleased to see us snapping up a talent for a good price, providing we get a centre back as well.

Take out Parker, Hudd and Livermore and we play 4-3-3 we have

Paulinho
Sandro
Dembele
Holtby
Capoue and Carroll? Thats 2 in each position which most managers look to have.

Also on the wings

Bale
Townsend
Chadli and Lennon

And upfront

Soldado, Defoe and Ade.

All we need is a CB and an upgrade on either BAE or Rose.

the last line isnt only about wages, though that plays a big part. its wage and prestige......you can get away with stuff like this at might household clubs

if we are losing parker, thudd, carrol AND livermore then yes it makes sense...but not if we are keeping those guys

its funny but you mention FOUR cm's and yet even before you get to the main starters you have siggy and holtby...and then you have sandro, paulie and dembele..now add caps......thats alot of bodies in that area

have you seen this guy play? is he really on sandro's level? cause i put sandro in the world class category for defensive duties. if this caps guy is as good as sandro then all we need to do is play both him and sandro in holding roles and we will never lose a game

I have watched some French footie on ESPN and have probably seen Capoue play 2 games the full 90 mins - he is a massive prescence....physically the same as Nzonzi but a bit beefier......from what I have seen he reads the game well is ferocious in the tackle and distributes well....nothing fancy just neat & tidy.....very much like Sandro in his pomp.....they are very similar... so no I cant say I have scouted him extensively but I have know about him for ages along with Mvilla as a bright French prospect in the def mid area.

I think there will be lots of outgoings in the next few weeks it may well be that siggy is loaned out though im not sure......this is my take on our mids maybe what avb is thinking:

DM Sandro/Capoue box 2 box Paulhinho/Dembele creative spark Siggy/Holtby - so without knowing his first choice midfield I would say that is decent planning and there will be more rotation this season.

try and hold fire till sep 2nd......This is AVB first proper full season and he is know moulding HIS team , I think there will be movement of Parker Hudd Carrol Livermore.....
I just don't think we can make sweeping statements of disjointed squad until we can view the landscape on Sep 2nd.

Capoue played once at CB last season against Lille. One time. In the french Ligue 1. In a 3 man defense. So these thinking about him as a CB should have a rethink.

This is what he had to say about it when asked by a journo.

How was your transition in central defense against Lille?

That went well. This is not my preferred position, but I'm happy aslong I play. We talked a lot with the coach before the game and everything went well. This is a squad project so from there, we must aall get involved in it. In a three-man defense, we defended very high. You have to be tough in the tackle and that's what we managed to deal with Lille. It became an easy game.

Capoue played once at CB last season against Lille. One time. In the french Ligue 1. In a 3 man defense. So these thinking about him as a CB should have a rethink.

This is what he had to say about it when asked by a journo.

How was your transition in central defense against Lille?

That went well. This is not my preferred position, but I'm happy aslong I play. We talked a lot with the coach before the game and everything went well. This is a squad project so from there, we must aall get involved in it. In a three-man defense, we defended very high. You have to be tough in the tackle and that's what we managed to deal with Lille. It became an easy game.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/33590

suggests he played 5 games in defense last season.

I see some comparaisons with M'Vila in this thread, and thats normal, same age, same position coming from the same league.

But there is one difference. Capoue is a very very clever guy, invited on tv a lot as he can speak. He has never had discipline problems or any troubles. He is a serious and very concentrated on his football.

And we seem to be buying clever players one after the other, real professionals, Vertonghen, LLoris, Paulinho... And the list goes on, so I believe this is the reason we got Capoue, and rightly so.

All this cannot be said about M'Vila who has had off field problems for years.

Buy one player for £8 million. Recoup that amount and more by selling two or three others (Parker, Huddlestone, Livermore) - thereby also reducing the wage bill significantly.

Added bonus is that the new player, in addition to being superior at CM / DM, is also adept at centre back. Which means that he can cover that position while our usual centre backs recover from their short term injuries (or, in the case of Kaboul, ease himself back from long term injury) and while we tie up a deal for a further centre back.

Gives us a far leaner, better, more versatile and modern squad that fits with AVB's philosophy.

Couldn't be a more sensible move.

Unless you thought that we coped well with injuries to Sandro and Dembele last season?

Good points.

I am only half way through this thread but nobody has yet suggested this guy could replace Dembele.

Probably knows he will get coated if he dares peddles his pro Real Madrid flimflam these days.

Arcspace got a perma ban from the forum a couple of months back - alas i was a mere mortal at the time so don't know anymore than that. in fact i've probably revealed too much already 8-[

capoue can play centre half.

you may then say but he ISNT a centre half. But why buy a centre half who will eventually be what, 3rd or 4th choice? Capoue adds depth to other positions too, solid signing.

Sensible post. Assuming this guy is any good!

Really happy with this. We were only one Sandro injury from being pretty screwed again. Makes a lot of sense.

After watching some videos, he really is a scott parker/Mascherano in terms of his positionning, sits between the two defenders.

He seems more completed though if you compare him to Parker's inability to go forward.

7 goals last seasons but please dont read too much into that, some of them are awful, deflected awful goals. Yes he was there to score them but dont expect him to bomb forward and score crackers.

I swear, Cleopatra herself could reincarnate and then proceed to offer £10K and free blowjobs from mermaids to the whole forum and there would still be an argument about the quality of fish. :lol:

I was just thinking the same thing.

It's pretty simple to answer why we have bought a midfielder; it's because we plan on selling some.

As a club, we are hopefully trying to aim at challenging for the title, and the only way we can do that is to have a quality squad. It was only last season where Sandro picked up an injury that ruled him out for the whole campaign. Parker didn't do a good enough job in his place.

Likewise, Dembele could have done with being rested/rotated a lot more last season. He was run into the ground and his performances dipped as a result, imo. But we didn't really have the players to rely on, especially with Sandro already missing. We had no other 'presence' in midfield to call upon.

It seems to me that we are trying to build a squad whereby we can keep playing the same way no matter who gets injured/rested/dropped/suspended. Long may we continue to do that.

Yep. At least 2 will leave.

i guess, with regards to creativity, we're going down the blow our opponents away with quick direct play backed up with strength and power route - there was an article posted in the Soldado thread yesterday or the day before i believe that spoke about AVBs style at Porto and how they were relentless in getting the ball through to the forwards directly wave after wave ... ive been waiting for a Modric replacement since he left but perhaps there is more than one way to skin a cat after all.

but i do think that with the trio of Holtby/Carroll and Sigurdsson we possibly have enough in there for a fall back option, im still undecided as to whether one of them will be a regular alongside two of the more powerful options though. think we're gearing up for an interesting season and ALOT of tactical discussion (ie arguments) here on GG

he's clearly jacking mourinho's style , but if thats the case..then we DEFINATELY need better attacking options to play with soldado

Back