• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

So... if we were now to spend approx. 40 mil on a superstar player then, there would be huge uproar and outrage in here and Levy would be highly criticized for it?

You will notice it was posed as a question rather than a conclusion.

So, what say you?

I'd be a bit confused that we'd waited for the window to close before signing them.

In all seriousness it would depend on the player. Some players are worth £40m, some are definitely not. Most of the ones who are would not be signing for a club of our stature, so I would be massively surprised before anything else. Mind, There are too many variables to give a 'general' answer.

Though if next summer, none of our new signings have flopped I can understand if we pushed the boat out for one player because we have a far more balanced squad than we had at the start of this summer's window.

You will notice it was posed as a question rather than a conclusion.

So, what say you?

May have been formed as a question but it was clear what you was infering

Anyway, if we were able to sign an elite level player in January/next summer im pretty sure everyone would be delighted, assuming it was in a required position and our squad remained as balanced as it currently is.

But in the context of blowing our budget on a world class superstar - which is what this tangent of the thread is about - it doesn't make sense to spend £30m + on a player who would be closing in on 31 by the earliest date that we could sign him. Likewise the signing of Soldado. £26m for a 28 year old was the only departure from Levy's transfer policy that most of us can think of. Besides which, as I said, I can't think of any good reason why Tevez would leave Juve for Spurs.

And even that is up to 50% clauses dependant on how well he does.

Daniel Levy isn't stupid...

So let's be realistic. Daniel Levy, Franco Baldini and Mr Pochettino are not idiots. As much as we would love to believe they are to make this better, they're not.

Daniel Levy must sit in the stands like us and think to himself 'this is horrific'. I seem to remember he was a season ticket holder before he became Chairman. He must know that his £18m signing Paulinho is rubbish hence why he doesn't get in the squad. He must know that Lamela is not worth £30m. He must know that the weakest player of them all, Kaboul, is our captain. He also must know that we don't have very good strikers. And he must also know that not a single player we signed this Summer, bar Dier out of necessity, is actually good enough to make our team. He must know that we don't have a single outfield player who gets us off of our seats.

Likewise, Baldini must realise all of his signings bar Eriksen have not paid off at all.

Pochettino surely must also know that our squad is awful. He's seen enough in Lennon, Townsend, Paulinho, Davies, Bentaleb, Stambouli, Chiriches recently to know they wont ever get into our team. So he hasn't picked them... but he must also know that Kaboul, Vertonghen, Chadli, Lamela & Adebayor are poor players too.

So if the 3 most important people know the problems because, as I say, they're not braindead... then why is it we're getting worse and worse?

Why is it that we sold Sandro & Holtby, 2 men who might be limited in ability but have more passion in their little fingers?

Why is it that they think we actually need a new stadium considering we only got 21,000 on Thursday night?

Why did he sack Redknapp?

Let's be honest Daniel knows that our club is losing value. We could quite easily finish 11th this season. A long, long way away from any sort of Champions League football. He knows that this could be an awful season. So... what's he going to do? How do these 3 men get us out of this? How do we bring back the glory days?

Cos lets be honest. If all it takes is for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, a team with such a poor away record, to equalize 1-1 on 45 mins with 45 still to play AT HOME for us to completely crumble then we could well be in a relegation dog fight. We have Stoke next at the Lane. They are a much better team than Saudi Sportswashing Machine and West Brom.

Re: Daniel Levy isn't stupid...

Maybe they also know that we have the youngest squad in the league now, whereas 30 months ago we had the oldest?

And that teams take longer than 9 games to build?

And that players don't actually make that much difference to performance, compared to culture and infrastructure?

Concise version of the OP for those who can't get through it:

We should all run around frantically and aimlessly, shrieking hysterically, before killing ourselves.

Because we're doomed. Doomed.

It's 1 game. Everyone will feel different when we string a few results together

Pochettino surely must also know that our squad is awful. He's seen enough in Lennon, Townsend, Paulinho, Davies, Bentaleb, Stambouli, Chiriches recently to know they wont ever get into our team. So he hasn't picked them... but he must also know that Kaboul, Vertonghen, Chadli, Lamela & Adebayor are poor players too.

Makes you wonder why Poch, sharp guy that he allegedly is, chose to come here then. Be that as it may, I was assured many times last season, particularly during Sherwood's reign, that this is a 'very good squad'.

Makes you wonder why Poch, sharp guy that he allegedly is, chose to come here then. Be that as it may, I was assured many times last season, particularly during Sherwood's reign, that this is a 'very good squad'.

Good point. Let's see if Poch can match 'dim Tim's' win ratio, shouldn't be too hard should it. :)

For chairmen, the DoF's, technical directors and the like are a useful buffer zone between poor performance and copping abuse for that poor performance. Too much more poor performance and Baldini will be gone I predict. Poch will be next in the line of fire. Levy has to be careful though. If he loses key staff too frequently there will be problems recruiting people of the right calibre in the future.

It is a good squad, maybe not top 4, but certainly good enough to cruise a win against that Saudi Sportswashing Machine side.

Fact is, Spurs is a massive step up from Southampton, very easy to see why he accepted the offer.

The real question is, why did Levy/Baldini think Poch was really worth the risk after two inexperienced manager failures?

For chairmen, the DoF's, technical directors and the like are a useful buffer zone between poor performance and copping abuse for that poor performance. Too much more poor performance and Baldini will be gone I predict. Poch will be next in the line of fire. Levy has to be careful though. If he loses key staff too frequently there will be problems recruiting people of the right calibre in the future.

This is absolutely the case, and if that were to happen The Spurs job will begin to look like a poisoned chalice.

Last edited:

This Saudi Sportswashing Machine result have made people crazy. There's no realism any more. People want change , they want success but they want it yesterday.

3 losses at WHL, 2 to subpar opposition
2 3+ goal margin losses again
4 losses before end of October
Really only one result of value, which was a draw.

worst start to season since Ramos ... not sure you can put that down to 1 game, or Saudi Sportswashing Machine match driving people crazy.

Again, if Southampton can make the changes they did and still get off to a good start, why can't we?
We don't have to have a great start, but we shouldn't be having our worst in a decade either.

Back