• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Energy Bills

Yeah Don’t
Typo
It was with a sixth company and they needed depth but not too many boats

Talking of typos remember a story for eons ago that Thatcher deliberately intervened in tidal energy in the 80s by insisting that couple of extra 00s were added to a pilot scheme cost appraisal to make it more expensive than nuclear and therefore not to get public money in support of its development.

Talking of typos remember a story for eons ago that Thatcher deliberately intervened in tidal energy in the 80s by insisting that couple of extra 00s were added to a pilot scheme cost appraisal to make it more expensive than nuclear and therefore not to get public money in support of its development.

well it was and is proven and needed right now
Most counties I work in are trying to add nuclear but don’t really know how

I was at sizewell B for a day trip in August (not kidding) was truly awesome. How so little matter can be harnessed to provide so much power for so many people is mind boggling.

I know it produces hazardous waste and some heat energy is advected away but little in the way of CO2 and it is super reliable.

I am a supporter of nuclear as a central pillar of electricity supply. I did not realise how frequently they went down to re fuel the nuclear material. But nonetheless as the 24 hour reliable source of electricity we would suffer without it.

And they were prepping the ground for Sizewell c already.

(Sizewell A was decommissioned decades ago).

I was at sizewell B for a day trip in August (not kidding) was truly awesome. How so little matter can be harnessed to provide so much power for so many people is mind boggling.

I know it produces hazardous waste and some heat energy is advected away but little in the way of CO2 and it is super reliable.

I am a supporter of nuclear as a central pillar of electricity supply. I did not realise how frequently they went down to re fuel the nuclear material. But nonetheless as the 24 hour reliable source of electricity we would suffer without it.

And they were prepping the ground for Sizewell c already.

(Sizewell A was decommissioned decades ago).

Yet when you deconstruct how electricity is generated by these fancy plants, it is just a steam engine right? Converting heat into steam to drive turbines?

Yet when you deconstruct how electricity is generated by these fancy plants, it is just a steam engine right? Converting heat into steam to drive turbines?

Yep it’s uranium fuel instead of coal that heats pressurised water into superheated steam that powers 3 enormous turbines and the mech energy is converted to electric via a transformer

That produces enough lecky for 4 eastern counties.

The ‘working’ steam is pure and held in a closed loop that recondensed via heat exchange employing seawater - a lot of seawater.

It’s an incredible space that turbine hall. But it is far from fancy - it’s quite Heath Robinson in there. Lovingly kept pristine - it’s been going many years and will hopefully be commissioned for a few more decades.

Last edited:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/epzaga/china-moon-crystal-nuclear-fusion

China has discovered a crystal from the Moon made of a previously unknown mineral, while also confirming that the lunar surface contains a key ingredient for nuclear fusion, a potential form of effectively limitless power that harnesses the same forces that fuel the Sun and other stars.

The crystal is part of a batch of lunar samples collected by China’s Chang’e-5 mission, which landed on the Moon in 2020, loaded up with about four pounds of rocks, and delivered them to Earth days later. After carefully sifting through the samples—which are the first Moon rocks returned to Earth since 1976—scientists at the Beijing Research Institute of Uranium Geology spotted a single crystal particle, with a diameter smaller than the width of a human hair

The crystal is made of the novel mineral Changesite—(Y), named after the Chinese Moon goddess, Chang’e, that also inspired China’s series of lunar missions. It was confirmed as a new mineral on Friday by the Commission on New Minerals, Nomenclature and Classification (CNMNC) of the International Mineralogical Association (IMA), according to the Chinese state-run publication Global Times.

Changesite—(Y) is the sixth new mineral to be identified in Moon samples, and the first to be discovered by China. Before China, only the U.S. and Russia could claim to have discovered a new Moon mineral. It is a transparent crystal that formed in a region of the northern lunar near-face that was volcanically active about 1.2 billion years ago.

According to state media, the new lunar samples also contain helium-3, a version of the element helium that has long fascinated scientists—and science fiction creators—because of its potential as a nuclear fusion fuel source. This hypothetical form of power aims to harness energy released by atoms that merge under tremendous pressures, such as those in the interiors of stars. Starlight is a ubiquitous product of nuclear fusion, but human-made fusion reactors will still likely take decades to develop, assuming they are feasible at all.

Yep it’s uranium fuel instead of coal that heats pressurised water into superheated steam that powers 3 enormous turbines and the mech energy is converted to electric via a transformer

That produces enough lecky for 4 eastern counties.

The ‘working’ steam is pure and held in a closed loop that recondensed via heat exchange employing seawater - a lot of seawater.

It’s an incredible space that turbine hall. But it is far from fancy - it’s quite Heath Robinson in there. Lovingly kept pristine - it’s been going many years and will hopefully be commissioned for a few more decades.
I worked for Rolls-Royce’s turbine business for 8 years. It’s not modern tech but it’s effective power
Scandinavia ailed it with CHP systems. Burn the waste to create the nest for the steam, use the steam for power gen, and the waste steam is back into district heating. Smart and effective

I worked for Rolls-Royce’s turbine business for 8 years. It’s not modern tech but it’s effective power
Scandinavia ailed it with CHP systems. Burn the waste to create the nest for the steam, use the steam for power gen, and the waste steam is back into district heating. Smart and effective
Makes you wonder why we don't do this. Maybe they don't suffer with NIMBYism in the same way.

Modular nuclear reactors are on their way. They are just building the new Rolls Royce factory that is going to manufacture them on the edge of Sheffield at the moment: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nuclear-amrc-support-next-phase-rolls-royce-smr-development.

I think the idea is almost that every city/large town will have their own one.
Rolls Royce has a nuclear reactor in derby years ago for that reason… apparently the local council didn’t know though

She was such a stupid biiitch, I'm obsessed with tidal power. We are literally surrounded by water, it is a no brainer.

Tidal is not at the races and won't be until it is too late to make a difference. It is too far back the learning curve. The 4 horsemen of energy are PV, wind, battery, and electrolyzers. These 4 will more than cover our energy needs with nuclear helping the transition. If you are looking for a dark horse it might be geothermal. Repurposing coal power stations and using drilling techniques developed by fracking is getting a little traction.
A company called Fevro Energy has gone live with a full-scale enhanced geothermal power plant. This may seem like something quite niche and a little geeky but it is not. It is potentially a monumental milestone in the renewable energy space. This energy source just may be the missing jigsaw piece. Advocates of this energy source claim that it will solve the so-called '10% problem' (actually it is closer to 20% as nuclear and hydro are not reliable either). It would seem this is dispatchable renewable power at scale, and more or less modular in terms of scalability. The tech also has the potential to create a massive energy storage resource, though that part is not production ready yet.

Geothermal is old tech and to date is only viable in a small number of locations. With this process that is more or less over. What they have done is taken the drilling knowledge from the oil and gas industry and used those techniques to create geothermal reservoirs under their test plant. So instead of having to locate these plants where the crust of the planet is thin (like Iceland), they can put them almost anywhere. Watch this space but I think this is gonna be big - like 30% of the planet energy big within a decade.

Last edited:
A company called Fevro Energy has gone live with full-scale enhanced geothermal power plant. This may seem like something quite niche and a little geeky but it is not. It is potentially a monumental milestone in the renewable energy space. This energy source just may be the missing jigsaw piece. Advocates of this energy source claim that it will solve the so called '10% problem' (actually it is closer to 20% as nuclear and hydro and not reliable either). It would seem this is dispatchable renewable power at scale, and more or less modular in terms of scalability. The tech also has potential to create a massive energy storage resource, though that part is not production ready yet.

Geothermal is old tech and to date is only vialble in small number of locations. With this process that is more or less over. What they have done is taken the drilling knowledge from the oil and gas industry and used those techniques to create geothermal reservoirs under their test plant. So instead of having to locate these plants where the crust of the planet is thin (like Iceland) they can put them almost anywhere. Watch this space but I think this is gonna be big - like 30% of the planet energy big within a decade.
Worth investing?

Back