• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emerson Royal

My thoughts as well, seems that in todays game some supporters have to a hate target and he is the one at the moment.

People often are pains to point out how good he is defensively. But he’s been at fault for a number of goals (not to mention the sending off in the NLD) recently. We all know he has his shortcomings at the other end of the pitch, but if he’s not giving us anything going forward and he’s not sound defensively then people will rightly ask questions. Particularly when we have other options but Conte won’t use them.

People often are pains to point out how good he is defensively. But he’s been at fault for a number of goals (not to mention the sending off in the NLD) recently. We all know he has his shortcomings at the other end of the pitch, but if he’s not giving us anything going forward and he’s not sound defensively then people will rightly ask questions. Particularly when we have other options but Conte won’t use them.

Valid points and i do not really disagree about asking questions but we all know that there are several players who get dogs abuse from some, and he HAS been one of them.

He is solid defensively. Is he perfect? No, but he is solid and I seldom see an opposing attacker get the better of him. Just because he isn't a popular figure, people will try and blame him along with the other usual suspects for conceding goals x,y and z. Sure we can complain about him not being great going forward, but in addition to this Conte consistently week in week out playing someone who also isn't up to much defensively? Nah....

He is solid defensively. Is he perfect? No, but he is solid and I seldom see an opposing attacker get the better of him. Just because he isn't a popular figure, people will try and blame him along with the other usual suspects for conceding goals x,y and z. Sure we can complain about him not being great going forward, but in addition to this Conte consistently week in week out playing someone who also isn't up to much defensively? Nah....

Bournemouth got the better of him for their second goal, he’s made a number of errors recently. The point is he is not good enough on the defensive side to make up for his complete lack of output on the other side of the game. Many of us have pointed out we could play Doherty and barely lose any defensive solidity and also get more going forward from him. His position in the team therefore becomes questioned. It’s bit of a weak argument to say Conte plays him every week so that’s all that matters or in other words, that proves I’m right but that logic isn’t applied when Son is off form for example and the same people want him benched. It’s only applied when it suits posters and reaffirms their position ie Conte rates him so it must mean I’m right.

Bournemouth got the better of him for their second goal, he’s made a number of errors recently. The point is he is not good enough on the defensive side to make up for his complete lack of output on the other side of the game. Many of us have pointed out we could play Doherty and barely lose any defensive solidity and also get more going forward from him. His position in the team therefore becomes questioned. It’s bit of a weak argument to say Conte plays him every week so that’s all that matters or in other words, that proves I’m right but that logic isn’t applied when Son is off form for example and the same people want him benched. It’s only applied when it suits posters and reaffirms their position ie Conte rates him so it must mean I’m right.
Not sure I said Conte plays him every week and thats all that matters? I told you I think Royal is defensively solid, one on one I dont recall any attacker having the better of him all game since he's been here. He's been at fault on occassions, just like every defender has - with the way we invite pressure you will struggle to find a defender who wont make an error here and there I'm afraid. And Conte doesn't strike me as someone who picks a player consistently who is not up to the job defensively unless there is some sort of injury crisis. So forgive me if I don't buy into your assessment that he does nothing going forward and isn't up to much defensively either.....

Not sure I said Conte plays him every week and thats all that matters? I told you I think Royal is defensively solid, one on one I dont recall any attacker having the better of him all game since he's been here. He's been at fault on occassions, just like every defender has - with the way we invite pressure you will struggle to find a defender who wont make an error here and there I'm afraid. And Conte doesn't strike me as someone who picks a player consistently who is not up to the job defensively unless there is some sort of injury crisis. So forgive me if I don't buy into your assessment that he does nothing going forward and isn't up to much defensively either.....

I didn’t say he isn’t up to much defensively, on the whole he’s good, but not as good as some make out. The nature of his position is he can have a good game but if he switches off or he makes a mistake you just can’t have that, it was the same for Dier when he had good games under Jose but made too many errors. He’s largely cut those out of his game. I said Royal has been at fault for a number of goals recently. I stand by my original point that he offers very little in an attacking sense. He creates virtually nothing. For all the criticism of Sessegnon, at least he’s managed to bag a couple of goals this season, important goals too, not the fourth goal in a 4-0 rout. All managers get things wrong. It’s only natural to ask questions of their judgement when there is an area in the team that we could improve on.

Reactions: DTA
My thoughts as well, seems that in todays game some supporters have to a hate target and he is the one at the moment.
Also could be the weakest links continually gets highlighted.

That's one way to improve any system, but improving the weakest links and not changing what's not broken.

I won't lose sleep over differences in views over football. Its too subjective.

Quite enjoy the difference in views here than peer enforced perspectives on other forums.

Also could be the weakest links continually gets highlighted.

That's one way to improve any system, but improving the weakest links and not changing what's not broken.

I won't lose sleep over differences in views over football. Its too subjective.

Quite enjoy the difference in views here than peer enforced perspectives on other forums.

Fair enough, however i have watched a lot of football and i have never really seen ( not often anyway) where there are 11 top players in any starting team. There is always the workhorses and they are important to any team. It seems to me that some fans have to have a hate fiquire in their side and slag them off at any chance they get. I rarely take any notice of match threads ( at games ) and i do not bother reading through them the day after a game because in all honesty they are usually full of over the top reactions and abuse thrown at players ( usually the same players) and i understand that some of it is down to frustration at the time, however when that slagging carrys on into the next days thread it does make me wonder.

I didn’t say he isn’t up to much defensively, on the whole he’s good, but not as good as some make out. The nature of his position is he can have a good game but if he switches off or he makes a mistake you just can’t have that, it was the same for Dier when he had good games under Jose but made too many errors. He’s largely cut those out of his game. I said Royal has been at fault for a number of goals recently. I stand by my original point that he offers very little in an attacking sense. He creates virtually nothing. For all the criticism of Sessegnon, at least he’s managed to bag a couple of goals this season, important goals too, not the fourth goal in a 4-0 rout. All managers get things wrong. It’s only natural to ask questions of their judgement when there is an area in the team that we could improve on.

I agree on him defensively. He's good, but not excellent.

His end product, final third work does leave a lot to be desired. I think he's taken steps on the ball when deeper, better buildup play, better at playing through midfield. Still not great at it by any stretch, but better. As long as he's not partnered with Sanchez he's alright. And may prove even better when Kulusevski is back. Started doing a few more useful things in the final third too. I still think Doherty is the better overall player, but when all the chips were down against Marseille Conte again turned to Emerson and he did rather well.

Todays highlights

OIP.IsFqC-pZY3feLce-CqcvnAAAAA

Reactions: DTA
Had to pop out at half time and the fella on 5live actually said Spurs need to replace Royal as he is clearly not good enough. It's weird, Even though I agree and I have slated him myself it felt really sad for a commentator to say it out loud on the radio. I actually felt a bit sad for the guy for a moment.

I hope he ends up at RB for Sevilla or A.Madrid etc. and has a decent career once he leaves.

Had to pop out at half time and the fella on 5live actually said Spurs need to replace Royal as he is clearly not good enough. It's weird, Even though I agree and I have slated him myself it felt really sad for a commentator to say it out loud on the radio. I actually felt a bit sad for the guy for a moment.

I hope he ends up at RB for Sevilla or A.Madrid etc. and has a decent career once he leaves.
It’s scary
Yet we still have spurs fans defend him
For a guy who we think can defend we concede a lot with him playing that’s all ill say

10 other players on the pitch when we concede is all I’ll say.
Hey he is rarely at fault for when we concede
He is never there for an assist
He rarely makes last ditch tackles
He is an issue
When the other team let him have the ball or worse….. swamp him he is fudged

The guy has put in nothing but 100% for us, busts a gut up and down the line constantly regardless of his limitations and is always in the middle of the celebrations when we score loving it and going mad. Fans want to whinge about loyalty of players like Kane who wanted to leave, then treat Royal like that are a disgrace. The poor lad has done nothing but give his best in a position he knows isn’t best suited to him and you never hear of him kicking up a fuss or anything and always seems a positive influence around training. Deserves more respect than he was shown by many ‘fans’…..

The guy has put in nothing but 100% for us, busts a gut up and down the line constantly regardless of his limitations and is always in the middle of the celebrations when we score loving it and going mad. Fans want to whinge about loyalty of players like Kane who wanted to leave, then treat Royal like that are a disgrace. The poor lad has done nothing but give his best in a position he knows isn’t best suited to him and you never hear of him kicking up a fuss or anything and always seems a positive influence around training. Deserves more respect than he was shown by many ‘fans’…..
He can’t kick up a fuss as he hasn’t got the credit in the bank
He just isn’t good enough
Not sure how he would kick up anything other than a shot or a cross I’m afraid
Said it last week and I stand by it… if we keep on accepting mediocrity we will achieve it
Dier gave a goal away today and has had some movements latterly, along with Hugo. Right now I’m of the opinion both of them two needs upgrading on too. But…. They do have some credit in the bank to earn some time

He can’t kick up a fuss as he hasn’t got the credit in the bank
He just isn’t good enough
Not sure how he would kick up anything other than a shot or a cross I’m afraid

I get that. What I don’t get is why he’s being singled out because he’s far from the only one who’s not good enough.

I get that. What I don’t get is why he’s being singled out because he’s far from the only one who’s not good enough.
Because our weaknesses have to be fixed quickly
Arsenal binned off a hero striker that they idolised
City got rid of some spoils squad players to improve
Pool sold their best player to step up… not worked well
United have a shocking record when Ronaldo plays and it can’t be because of him surely
But address your weaknesses and you tend to be better
He isn’t being singled out too
His cross that went out when he had all the time though was frankly embarrassing for a pro player and the fans turned
The same fans who think Dier is a weak link as too is sessengon and probably Hojberg for some

He was a level below every one of our other players today, perhaps bar Sessegnon.

He gives it his best, for sure, but he’s been here long enough to see that he’s not good enough in the system Conte wants to play.

Back