• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Elon Musk buys twitter

It is a funny observation. I laughed when I heard it first too, but anything he posts on Twitter is for reaction otherwise he wouldn't do it. Some are offended, and some not. That is the point I would think.
Do people get offended too easily? Oh fudge yes, but being a comedian with his style is to push the boundary of what is acceptable. That is his shtick. Hardly surprising that some are offended by some of his tweets.

I think any good comedian’s job should be to go as close to the line as possible without going over it, but they make mistakes like in any walk of life. There’s plenty of comedians I don’t like or don’t appreciate their style, I just don’t watch them. I’ve never got Harry Hill for example. I don’t find him funny. I guess I’m just fascinated by this new idea that people think they entitled to go through life without ever hearing anything that upsets or offends them, it’s somewhat narcissistic. It’s often the younger generation, I don’t blame them, I think they were overprotected by their parents and the universities have reinforced that behaviour. Kids don’t play outside as often as I did when I was young and parents aren’t as ok with exposing their children to any risk, there’s an element of risk assessment from playing outside. I think that overprotective-ness manifests in people being overly sensitive as they’re not comfortable with any risk but life is inherently risky.

I think any good comedian’s job should be to go as close to the line as possible without going over it, but they make mistakes like in any walk of life. There’s plenty of comedians I don’t like or don’t appreciate their style, I just don’t watch them. I’ve never got Harry Hill for example. I don’t find him funny. I guess I’m just fascinated by this new idea that people think they entitled to go through life without ever hearing anything that upsets or offends them, it’s somewhat narcissistic. It’s often the younger generation, I don’t blame them, I think they were overprotected by their parents and the universities have reinforced that behaviour. Kids don’t play outside as often as I did when I was young and parents aren’t as ok with exposing their children to any risk, there’s an element of risk assessment from playing outside. I think that overprotective-ness manifests in people being overly sensitive as they’re not comfortable with any risk but life is inherently risky.
It is hardly a new idea that people should not be assholes. It is just the acceptable assholery line is being drawn further away from the asshole speaking it as we evolve as a species. That a person is less willing to accept this type of speech should be applauded. That is not narcissism by any definition I know. And if it errs on the side of caution then so be it. Better that than the opposite.

To bring this back to twitter moderation, what do you think will happen if the moderation rules are relaxed? More abuse and more people being offended? How it is moderated now is not strict enough in my opinion and considering you think twitter is just a ' load of angry and unreasonable people' now I guessing you would agree. Am I right?

Last edited:
It is hardly a new idea that people should not be assholes. It is just the asshole line is being drawn further away from the asshole as we evolve as a species. That a person is less willing to accept this type of speech should be applauded. That is not narcissism by any definition I know. And if it errs on the side of caution then so be it. Better that than the opposite.

To bring this back to twitter moderation, what do you think will happen if the moderation rules are relaxed? More abuse and more people being offended? How it is moderated now is not strict enough in my opinion and considering you think twitter is just a ' load of angry and unreasonable people' now I guessing you would agree. Am I right?

But offence is subjective. I posted a link in another thread from Buzzfeed where the author posted 23 halloween costumes that you shouldn’t be allowed to wear. Fine, everyone has a line when it comes to offence (I’ve never felt comfortable describing and Asian person as “brown”, just doesn’t sound right in my head but I’m not sure if it’s even offensive to them) but if there’s so many costumes that trigger you then stay home and let everyone else enjoy it :D . Being offended is fine, but telling everyone else what is acceptable, what language is acceptable is the part I find narcissistic. I think the more you tell people what’s acceptable and what isn’t, it alienates people and gives more ammunition to the Daily Mail and GB News. I do think certain words shouldn’t be said out loud so I accept there is a line.

As for twitter, I’ve said many times they don’t do enough to stop abuse. It’s far too easy to create an account without any form of verification or identification. People might think twice about abusing others if they had to put their personal details in when signing up.

Last edited:
But offence is subjective. A posted a link in another thread from Buzzfeed where the air posted 23 halloween costumes that you shouldn’t be allowed to wear. Fine, everyone has a line when it comes to offence (I’ve never felt comfortable describing and Asian person as “brown”, just doesn’t sound right in my head but I’m not sure if it’s even offensive to them) but if there’s so many costumes that trigger you then stay home and let everyone else enjoy it :D . Being offended is fine, but telling everyone else what is acceptable, what language is acceptable is the part I find narcissistic. I think certain words shouldn’t be said out loud so I accept there is a line.

As for twitter, I’ve said many times they don’t do enough to stop abuse. It’s far too easy to create an account without any form of verification or identification. People might think twice about abusing others if they had to put their personal details in when signing up.
You are effectively saying if you are easily offended shut up and stay home. You are more or less giving the power to the abuser not the abused by your argument. That is backwards IMO .However I am not blind to your point that some people are too sensitive. Like Jorden Peterson for example who seems to cry a lot on the internet (and I noticed his room was not tidy also). He needs more protection. I'm joking of course - fudge him ;).

I agree on the verified users for twitter btw but I think that boat has long sailed and is now speeding up on its journey to hell.

You are effectively saying if you are easily offended shut up and stay home. You are more or less giving the power to the abuser not the abused by your argument. That is backwards IMO .However I am not blind to your point that some people are too sensitive. Like Jorden Peterson for example who seems to cry a lot on the internet (and I noticed his room was not tidy also). He needs more protection. I'm joking of course - fudge him ;).

Yes I think some are too easily offended. There are many reasons for that, but the main factors IMO are social media and overprotective parenting. We should absolutely not tolerate hate speech or people being prejudiced against, but for those who are offended are pretty much everything, we shouldn’t indulge those people (including Jordan Peterson) otherwise you just end up with a very neurotic society, otherwise where do you draw the line? If 3,000 go to watch a standup and 1 person finds it’s offensive should it be banned? I think the universities are partly responsible too. I’ve mentioned the coddling of the American mind many times before (the only negative review I could find was in the Guardian, shocker), but it was written by a NYC college professor who suffered with depression and talks about how CBT saved his life. But colleges now are teaching the opposite of that to kids who are already sad and depressed. They’re being taught binary thinking, over generalisations and thinking you can read peoples minds.

Last edited:
Yes I think some are too easily offended. There are many reasons for that, but the main factors IMO are social media and overprotective parenting. We should absolutely not tolerate hate speech or people being prejudiced against, but for those who are offended are pretty much everything, we shouldn’t indulge those people (including Jordan Peterson) otherwise you just end up with a very neurotic society, otherwise where do you draw the line? If 3,000 go to watch a standup and 1 person finds it’s offensive should it be banned? I think the universities are partly responsible too. I’ve mentioned the coddling of the American mind many times before (the only negative review I could find was in the Guardian, shocker), but it was written by a NYC college professor who suffered with depression and talks about how CBT saved his life. But colleges now are teaching the opposite of that to kids who are already sad and depressed. They’re being taught binary thinking, over generalisations and thinking you can read people's minds.
This picture you paint is like nothing I recognise in real life nor is really a significant problem in my opinion. You'll get the odd exception, but the kids I know are way more emotionally mature than any previous generation, and they'll need to be considering the fudging mess we have made. It's the adults we should be worrying about.

I'm going to bug out of this but I'll put your book on my list.

Last edited:
Offence is rarely given, but always taken, for example, I may say something, 1 person gets offended, but 99 dont. Who is in the wrong? no one, it is subjected to the person offened.

This picture you paint is like nothing I recognise in real life nor is really a significant problem in my opinion. You'll get the odd exception, but the kids I know are way more emotionally mature than any previous generation, and they'll need to be considering the fudging mess we have made. It's the adults we should be worrying about.
I'm going to bug out of this but I'll put your book on my list.

I’m a millennial, but I don’t think my generation and gen Z are all that different from the boomers we all blame for ruining the planet. We’re the most progressive, inclusive generation but the previous generation was also and the next generation will be even more progressive, society evolves. My generation love Bitcoin which is horrible for the environment due to the electricity it uses, but I’m not sure most of them are even aware, I don’t know what is more worrying. I’m a big fan of Greta Thunberg, but she only has 14 million followers on Instagram whereas Kylie Jenner has close to 400 million. So as much as my generation appear to want to save the planet, materialism is more important to them judging by how often Kylie Jenner gets on private planes and how many clothes she has, 95% of them she won’t ever wear.

I’m a millennial, but I don’t think my generation and gen Z are all that different from the boomers we all blame for ruining the planet. We’re the most progressive, inclusive generation but the previous generation was also and the next generation will be even more progressive, society evolves. My generation love Bitcoin which is horrible for the environment due to the electricity it uses, but I’m not sure most of them are even aware, I don’t know what is more worrying. I’m a big fan of Greta Thunberg, but she only has 14 million followers on Instagram whereas Kylie Jenner has close to 400 million. So as much as my generation appear to want to save the planet, materialism is more important to them judging by how often Kylie Jenner gets on private planes and how many clothes she has, 95% of them she won’t ever wear.
I always have to look up those age labels :)

Boomers did not ruin the planet really. The fossil fuel industry did. They knew the truth back in the 70's and decided to make money hand over fist instead. More carbon has been emitted since the first World Scientists Warning to Humanity published in 1992 than in all of human history before. We (the current generation) did this through our ignorance and complacency, and it is continuing now as you say. Only we can fix it and the window for doing this is shutting fast. So when I see those kids (and adults) throwing paint at art and buildings I say why not. Nothing else has worked so far.

All energy-intensive crypto should be banned. And private planes. And Kardashians.

Last edited:

I agree on the verified users for twitter btw but I think that boat has long sailed and is now speeding up on its journey to hell.

I think the lines are blurred on offence TBH, calling someone names or abusing them is 100% offensive and should be outlined but we all know that in the modern world people find offence anywhere they wish to look. I mean using a recent example, was it offensive when Souness said something recently about "mans game" which was taken out of context and driven along by those who choose to be offended by everything?

Thats where is difficult TBH but I agree with you that twitter is in no way moderated anywhere near as strongly as it should be.

What was the crisis 100 years ago is not the crisis now and what the crisis will be in 100 years we don't know yet, in that I mean we can claim that certain people are more to blame than others but lifes lineal and in that respect, you go back, and everyone should accept some blame. The idea you take the resources out the ground comes from the ancient idea you classify and rule each region individually, this then allows rulers to make decisions about what is believed to be owned within that area and therefore the belief its their decision to make if they wish to strip that area of resources. The offence may have happened now but its a product of this mad idea that someone rules land within a made-up border. Exploring to conquer, wars, horrible people and horrible decisions have happened and plagued this planet for centuries, we are where we are today not solely because of the decisions we make but the decisions made well before we even joined this mental planet

I think the lines are blurred on offence TBH, calling someone names or abusing them is 100% offensive and should be outlined but we all know that in the modern world people find offence anywhere they wish to look. I mean using a recent example, was it offensive when Souness said something recently about "mans game" which was taken out of context and driven along by those who choose to be offended by everything?

Thats where is difficult TBH but I agree with you that twitter is in no way moderated anywhere near as strongly as it should be.
Super blurred and finding a line that everyone is happy with is next to impossible, but you have to try. After today's purge of staff how many moderators are even left? Considering how difficult it is for humans AI doesnt stand a chance of filling this hole. I think Twitter is circling the drain at this point.

Here's an interesting viewpoint on it (which you'll have to read quickly before Twitter is gone).

Super blurred and finding a line that everyone is happy with is next to impossible, but you have to try. After today's purge of staff how many moderators are even left? Considering how difficult it is for humans AI doesnt stand a chance of filling this hole. I think Twitter is circling the drain at this point.

Here's an interesting viewpoint on it (which you'll have to read quickly before Twitter is gone).

Cheers pal, I will have a read of this later

I'm beginning to think this is all about politics rather than profit. China and Saudi have a stake in this takeover, and it would appear Musk and his partners are trying to change the platform so as to drive certain influential voices away, mostly left-leaning I might add. Most users don't want to read bigotry and imagined grievances all the time and will depart too. And it is working. I follow about 20 active accounts and they are all creating mirror accounts on Mastadon.

It is time to look at these huge tech companies as something more than just regular private companies. They can affect things on a geopolitical scale and must be viewed in this light.

Back