• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Driving Test

Papercut

Jermaine Jenas
An old dog learning new tricks...

Got my test soon, Barnet test centre - anyone done it or can offer some tips?

Live close to the area but not overly familiar. Been told not many bus lanes but lots of speed changes.

There is a rural single lane carriageway at the national speed limit which tinkles me off - should never be anywhere near 60mph as the road is narrow, lots of bends and brick surface (think this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18840110)

Driving instructor not mentioned oil change, water blah blah yet - should I be concerned? (a gooner to top it off!)

I feel fairly confident with the manouvres as long as I get to use my common sense and not all this 'mirror to the centre of the car' stuff.

Heeeyyuuulpp!

An old dog learning new tricks...

Got my test soon, Barnet test centre - anyone done it or can offer some tips?

Live close to the area but not overly familiar. Been told not many bus lanes but lots of speed changes.

There is a rural single lane carriageway at the national speed limit which tinkles me off - should never be anywhere near 60mph as the road is narrow, lots of bends and brick surface (think this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18840110)

Driving instructor not mentioned oil change, water blah blah yet - should I be concerned? (a gooner to top it off!)

I feel fairly confident with the manouvres as long as I get to use my common sense and not all this 'mirror to the centre of the car' stuff.

Heeeyyuuulpp!

60mph is the maximum speed dependant on the conditions of the road and the conditions of the weather. Just because the limit is 60mph the driver should be responsible enough to know what speed to do on a certain stretch of road.

I passed first time but then again I'm a genius ;). Just listen carefully to the instructor, don't panick and imgaine you're sitting next to your tutor.

End of the day the worst thing that can happen in mounting the pavement and running down a crowd of people, but hey ever day is a risk.

Good luck :)

If you pull up next to another car at traffic lights and they look at you that means they want a race. The examiner will be fine with this.

Stuff under the bonnet or to do with tyre pressure or handbrake etc will either be a "show" or a "describe". You won't be asked to change the oil but you may be asked what you would do with the dipstick. Stay calm, constantly look during manoeuvres, and don't clip curbs because they don't like that.

Haha, if it's a race they want!!

Cheers, my instructor's teaching is a tad unorthodox - talks a lot about his sex life, opens the sunroof when it's raining, puts his phone on my shoulder whilst he's having a convo - I'm sure there is method to his madness :D I do hate the use of mirrors part, so unnatural that you have to visibly be moving your head...

My cabbie mate told me that they may have a route on paper and they ask you to remember it and then follow, is this true?

The 'route you're meant to follow' that your mate mentioned is the free drive. At some point your examiner will say 'i'm going to stop giving you instructions now, I'd like you to follow the signs for somewhere' and then you do about 10 minutes following road signs. Absolute doddle really as long as you don't panic. I finally got my driving licence a few months ago after putting it off for years/decades. Passed first time and tbh I thought it was too easy given the responsibility of driving, should be a lot tougher imo. Barely driven since passing (commute on the train and have no need to drive anywhere) but it's useful to have I guess.

They'll say "take the second left up ahead, then follow that road to the end, go straight ahead at the roundabout and then pull up on the left. Would you like me to draw you a basic map of that?"

I was practice driving with a truck once and the teacher kept complaining I was going to fast while still well under the limit. Adapt the speed to suit the road and weather.

Cheers guys; my unorthodox instructor decided to download a sample of Fifty Shades of Grey and read it to me whilst driving. I think I'm ready for anything! :D

Once you get through the first few minutes, you tend to settle down. The place where I live where people do their test is quite tricky as the starting point is a busy supermarket car park! Not ideal!

Best feeling in the world when you pass!

On my driving test a bus tried to kill me, a car came round a corner without looking and could have caused a smash up, an old lady was going down a busy road (cars parked either side) on a motorised scooter - ducking in and out of vacant spaces and the road. And my examiner had the worst cold ever, could breath and so was huffing constantly...

Be OTT with your observations during manoeuvres especially the reversing parts, for a turn in the road make sure you keep checking both directions of travel as you complete the 3 points of the turn.

Take time to think about what you have been asked to do, think it over in your mind and briefly replay the successes you have had doing it before you start the manoeuvres.

Relax. Its hard to at first but make sure you take it easy for the first 10 mins and then your confidence that everything is going ok should help become less uptight along with hopefully, a talkative examiner.

Show and Tell is pretty simple to be fair. I was asked to show them where the coolant/anti freeze compartment was and then tell them when it is appropriate to use your horn. Even if you get both questions wrong it totals only 1 minor so its not that big a deal. You will find though that once you pass, the questions they might ask you on showing where things are become quite important. I got into the habit of regularly checking my tyre pressure, oil levels, washer level etc after passing and it has held me in good stead.

Thanks Libero; instructor showed me the show and tell bits - flippin bonnet is a pain in the ass to open on a Citroen C3 though! :D

One thing I do not get and disagree with is not indicating when turning in a road. You indicate when driving off so when not then? You look out for cars in both incidences and surely you need to let them no you are about to move out?

About the relaxing... hmm, having been someone who has suffered panic attacks and anxiety in the past doesn't seem to bode well, I'm good with my instructor and accept that everyone gets nervous before a test. hope it's not a sexy lady haha

Thanks Libero; instructor showed me the show and tell bits - flippin bonnet is a pain in the ass to open on a Citroen C3 though! :D

One thing I do not get and disagree with is not indicating when turning in a road. You indicate when driving off so when not then? You look out for cars in both incidences and surely you need to let them no you are about to move out?

About the relaxing... hmm, having been someone who has suffered panic attacks and anxiety in the past doesn't seem to bode well, I'm good with my instructor and accept that everyone gets nervous before a test. hope it's not a sexy lady haha

Not sure why you don't indicate for turn in the road. Only thing I can assume is that your turning straight away as opposed to pulling out and off somewhere so therefore it is reasonably apparent you are attempting to turn in the road to any other roads users approaching.

Best way to remember with observations is do a 360 look every few seconds during a manoeuvre just as you would when you check from left to right before pulling away from a stationary position.

It is hard to stay relaxed, the tension only really appears just on top of the test but all I would say is just try and remember that if you fail then you can go again.

Play the game. Your aim is to get under 13 ( i think) minors and pass. If you are unsure of anything - do the safest thing, if you do all you are likely to get is a minor.

Play the game. Your aim is to get under 13 ( i think) minors and pass. If you are unsure of anything - do the safest thing, if you do all you are likely to get is a minor.

15 minors is the limit and they can actually fail you for reaching 15 if they so feel. Under that and you are plain sailing. Just like to add at this point.......I got 3 minors despite being a bag of nerves prior to my test kicking off.

Drivers must prepare for the driving theory test with full concentration and get the detailed knowledge of driving test questions and hazard perception test clips and know all theory behind the questions. Practice driving maneuvers such as parallel parking and turning etc. very carefully and pass the test with confidence.

I only passed 4 years ago at the age of 35, the hazard awareness video is filmed in Bedford (where I live) so was a doddle. I was sweating so much on the actual test I soaked my shirt and the seat. Got one minor for not pulling into a cross-hatch marked section at traffic lights to turn right when on green, I thought cross-hatching meant no stopping in that area so waited at the lights for a space.

My only tip really is make it obvious you are checking your mirrors by moving your head to look rather than just your eyes.

Why all these nerves and talk about mirrors etc.

Just get in the car. Put your foot down on the gas pedal, drive on the wrong side of the road, and let the other drivers get out of your way.

Your examiner will have a heart attack, or pass out. you get back to base. He will pass you, as he won't want to test you again. Simple !!!

Anyway good luck.

Back