• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Do we deserve success?

Anyone got anymore cliche's they wanna use ?

At the end of the day it's a game of two halves and we will see come what May but er...at the end of the day were enjoying our football er..we have two cup finals left to play and er..yeah we're hoping for the best.

Why we deserve everything we got.

Emirates Marketing Project do not deserve to win the league. Arsenal do not deserve to be lucky enough to have RVP injury-free for a full season. Chelsea do not deserve to win the CL. Manchester United do not deserve to.. ok in light of recent dominance they might. Or maybe not. Let's say they didn't deserve to be so lucky as to be on top when the PL and CL were introduced.

You know what? This is all rubbish. Deserving something in this world has never mattered to the ones who win, or to those who lead. They take it, they use whatever means neccesary, and they take it. Many countries have Kings or Queens, they took it by the tip of a sword. Did they deserve it? Absolutely not, but that didn't stop them. Kings, priests, generals, dictators, even those we vote into position have often gotten there by force. The idea that we deserve anything in this world is misguided; the world does not care if we deserve anything. Work hard all your life, it is either chance or force that will get you the reward you want. If you are lucky enough to win "the lottery" as City and Chelsea, if you are lucky enough to be in the position you are when the economy comes blasting into football, or if you work hard to get to the top, the world does not care. You might be admired for your efforts, but you didn't win. Tough luck.

Tottenham play the best football in the league. Tottenham deserve to be in the top four. gonad*s, we do not deserve anything, we need to grab it. Jose Mourinho does not play the best football in the world, but he takes it by any means neccesary. The sheiks of City got the money by force at some point in history, make no mistake, and they are just as ruthless in building a football club on the same philosophy.

Tottenham Hotspur play the best football in the league. Tottenham Hotspur also have to change it's entire mentality. We do not deserve anything, and only once we can accept that, and the administration accept that, and the coaches, physios, players and fans accept that, can Tottenham Hotspur really achieve something. With force.

"So what you're really saying is that..."
No, I wrote what I wrote. Your personal interpretation and/or tl;dr of the text is something different.

It wouldn't be Spurs if we used a win at all costs mentality sorry, but thats just not the way the game should be that's what sets us apart.
Probably over quoted but,

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
--------
Danny Blanchflower

Spurs, in name, are one of the elite. A world-wide famous name. Many years ago, this was also true in substance too. The 1980's saw the cup-hungry Spurs side, that IHMO was the last time Spurs had an elite side of real social standing. We may not have won the league (long overdue, IMHO), but we did win cups, and others looked up to us.

Since the end of the 1980's, Totenham's slide, substance-wise, is shocking and largely the fault of mismanagement (Sugars reign/repeated choice of wrong manager, and many vastly overpriced and wrong players purchases/unbalanced sides/some repetition after Sugars reign). The widening chasm of difference between THFC and MUFC/Liverpool, and worst of all The Filth and Cheatski, in the 1990's+ is a bitter pill for long standing Spurs fans to take (like me, and many others). IMHO it should never have happened. Sugar blamed everything/everyone bar himself, just like his arrogance in The Apprentice. It was said at the time, in the early 1990's, that in business terms, Sugar was AC Milan and Venables was Crewe Alexandria. Unfortunately, in football terms, it was the other way round. But he who pays the piper, calls the shots. As in any walk of life.

Its this fall from grace that Tottenham are still, ultimately, trying to recover from now, over 2 decades later. Of course it isn't easy to narrow and bridge the gap, and it certainly costs ?ú's. Lots. Equally, as Spurs invest in new players, so do the main competition, so it is a constant cycle, and short of a mega rich Ambramovich/Mansour character dropping into the equation, we are going to find it difficult to climb back to parity with 'the big cheeses', and above. Which I presume is what all Spurs ultimately want.

So I don't think Spurs fans generally think we should be one of the elite because of who we are, per se, more that we should have continued to be one of the elite from a time when we most certainly were, which was mostly thrown away, IMHO. I believe this is reinforced by the Spurs name, social standing and brand, plus huge fan base.

In the course of the pursuit of bridging the gap, in the last few seasons, and aquisition of better and better players leading to the best squad Spurs have had for 20+ years, we have made inroads into moving up the league. My beef is that with the squad we have had this season, and looking at it pre-season, top 4 was most certainly a realistic expectation, and also not caving in to the likes of Norwich at home was too. Not a long shot, but measured expectation married to what we have. IMHO, if we could magically add Torres to our squad, we should be challenging solidly for the title. I would expect that.

So you do not deserve success, you have to earn it. But I would argue that, due to the previous, we have a squad - now - to earn it. What we don't have is the right manager to achieve the success required (as proven this season) and your chances of achieving it are not heightened by getting Louis Saha and Ryan Nelson in the January transfer window. And I have said that without swearing....

You earn success. Unless you are downright lucky (Lucky Arsenal, as known since the 1930's). We set in place most of the building blocks to achieve that, and then we blow it. Its this spectacular own goal that gets me.

Out of interest, what sort of squad do people think we need to acquire, to absolutely justify an expectation of qualification for the CL?

I very much agree with your summing up as an older observer of THFC.

Also the club took a turning for the worse when after Bill Nicholson resigned the club Directors in their infinite football wisdom decided to bring in ex arse Terry Neil as manager.

Own goal ......I mean after having a decade of success what football club club would appoint their arch rivals captain as manager.mmmmmm

](*,)

Some interesting points made about the club and why we may not have achieved as much as we would like, but my original point was not about does the club deserve success but the type of fans we appear to be turning into. It's a game enjoy the good times!

Some interesting points made about the club and why we may not have achieved as much as we would like, but my original point was not about does the club deserve success but the type of fans we appear to be turning into. It's a game enjoy the good times!

Not all our fans are that bad and I don't believe our fans are any more fickle than that of any other club.

Our fan base must have changed a bit though.

Football is still vastly an English game at the turnstiles..I mean the un politically
correct indigenous white type of fan.

Tottenham has more languages than any place on the face of the Planet...and most of those people that live there do not give a monkeys about a football club in the high road called Tottenham Hotspur.

I remember the front gardens near the ground crammed with bicycles on match day...its always makes me wonder how we manage to get 36000
fans these days..

Anyway....

Coys..................................

Back