• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

feels like a lot of micro management.
i mean why not attack when there is a clear advantage?

perhaps in Conte's mind its not two flying wingers but one more attacking and taking risks, the other more about control. hence royal.

I think having clear standards for what is expected and required in the system and rewarding players with game time if and when they deliver that is a good thing.

Setting those expectations early for young players is also a good thing.

Doherty has been preferred at different times, less of a control player imo.

I think having clear standards for what is expected and required in the system and rewarding players with game time if and when they deliver that is a good thing.

Setting those expectations early for young players is also a good thing.

Doherty has been preferred at different times, less of a control player imo.
Imagine if it were Gareth Bale instead of Djed Spence. I mean how difficult it is it to train BOTH discipline and attacking instinct at the same time?

I'd imagine I'd be rating a player's development across many factors, hard and soft. As much as developing weak areas, there should be emphasis on furthering where the talent is.

Imagine if it were Gareth Bale instead of Djed Spence. I mean how difficult it is it to train BOTH discipline and attacking instinct at the same time?

I'd imagine I'd be rating a player's development across many factors, hard and soft. As much as developing weak areas, there should be emphasis on furthering where the talent is.

I think it's possible. But of course will be useful with some focus areas.

I think of discipline as much when attacking as defending. The way I see it Conte asks for a lot of structure/discipline in the deepest and middle third of the pitch when we have the ball. More freedom to do your thing in the final third.

I agree that the strengths should be further strengthened. But to get into a Conte side with any regularity I think you need to get the system stuff right. Enough of the discipline/structured part must be there.

That makes it a rather obvious thing to focus on, because if he's ever going to keep developing his strengths he probably needs game time.

Other managers probably would focus more on honing his strengths. Hope the discipline/whatever comes with time. For me most top managers seem to have fundamentals they want to be in place to trust a player, but what those are varies with different systems.

If we sign another first team or first choice RWB it's difficult to see how he doesn't go out on loan.

If we don't perhaps he'll stick around.

Brentford, system of play, level, PL club, seems like it would be an excellent loan.

Brentford links are interesting and maybe a hint that we are looking to bring in Porro with this being a 1 in 1 out scenario until the summer when we try to move on Doherty & Royal

Think it was absolutely POINTLESS to play Royal vs Pompey over Spence. I find it just unnecessary.

It proves nothing, tells us nothing. If Spence was utter brick, then we could all just shut up and go "ah yeh Conte was right". But instead, he just sticks Royal there AGAIN, which shows nothing we don't already know, that he isn't a RWB. Just find it infuritating for no benefit.

Think it was absolutely POINTLESS to play Royal vs Pompey over Spence. I find it just unnecessary.

It proves nothing, tells us nothing. If Spence was utter brick, then we could all just shut up and go "ah yeh Conte was right". But instead, he just sticks Royal there AGAIN, which shows nothing we don't already know, that he isn't a RWB. Just find it infuritating for no benefit.

Welcome to Conte ..

A PL loan like Brentford would be good.

It's not pointless if you understand that Conte values Royal higher than Spence in the short term and that Royal needs minutes if he is to stay fresh.

Absolutely, seeing people get so worked up about Spence not playing is almost getting as frustrating as Spence not being played in the first place.

Although it's really nice for Spence to receive a great reception from the crowd, Conte doesn't give a flying fudge who the fans reckon should be played - @Diamond Lights doesn't seem to appreciate that the team selection got us through to the next round, Conte isn't picking teams to appease the fans nor give out minutes to players who haven't potentially had a fair crack of the whip.

As for the loan talk, Brentford seem like a great fit if an agreement can be reached or if Djed stays then it is up to him to do what he can to work his way in to Conte's plans.

It's not difficult to understand. Conte doesn't rate Spence as highly as he does Royal. We may not understand it, but it very obvious.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

If we sign another first team or first choice RWB it's difficult to see how he doesn't go out on loan.

If we don't perhaps he'll stick around.

Brentford, system of play, level, PL club, seems like it would be an excellent loan.

Whether we sign a player or not he needs to go out on loan as he will not see many minutes as the number 3 RWB of the rank.

It's not difficult to understand. Conte doesn't rate Spence as highly as he does Royal. We may not understand it, but it very obvious.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I don’t think Conte looks at Royal, and then looks at Spence and thinks ‘I prefer Royal, he’s got better attributes to perform as wingback for me’.

Conte is extremely precise about his requirements and requires a lot of time with the younger players to show them exactly what he wants. Sarr and Gil have got their opportunities after Conte had the whole World Cup period to work with them in training. I don’t think Conte looks at Royal and thinks he’s better than Spence. It is annoying, but I guess patience is a virtue and in Conte we trust….

Whether we sign a player or not he needs to go out on loan as he will not see many minutes as the number 3 RWB of the rank.

Quite possibly.

I think there's some chance there that he gets more minutes in the second half of the season. Wouldn't be the first time a fairly young new signing got more game time as the first season progressed. But a loan may very well be the best thing, difficult for us to know what Conte thinks.

Was more thinking that if we sign a new starter for RWB, that quite possibly becomes a definite.

I don’t think it’s as simple as that. I don’t think Conte looks at Royal, and then looks at Spence and thinks ‘I prefer Royal, he’s got better attributes to perform as wingback for me’.

Conte is extremely precise about his requirements and requires a lot of time with the younger players to show them exactly what he wants. Sarr and Gil have got their opportunities after Conte had the whole World Cup period to work with them in training. I don’t think Conte looks at Royal and thinks he’s better than Spence. It is annoying, but I guess patience is a virtue and in Conte we trust….
Lol what you just described is Conte thinking Royal suits his football more than Spence does for now. We are saying the same thing.

There are some of you that say Conte is right not to play Spence because he is obviously not good enough.

Looking at the rest of our defence do you honestly think they are significantly better in their respective positions than Djed Spense would be if he started a game and actually played as an attacking wingback?

Do you think he would be vastly inferior to the rest of them? Personally I do not think that is possible.

There are some of you that say Conte is right not to play Spence because he is obviously not good enough.

Looking at the rest of our defence do you honestly think they are significantly better in their respective positions than Djed Spense would be if he started a game and actually played as an attacking wingback?

Do you think he would be vastly inferior to the rest of them? Personally I do not think that is possible.

Royal actually had a good game last night so it's such a weird time to pull this one out of the bag again, what do you want from this discussion, do you need everyone to agree with you? It's clear you want Spence to play and every Spurs fan wants all Spurs player's to do well in our shirt and Conte is currently the man who picks the team. Your idea of how well Spence would do is based on a different level of understanding as the coaching staff, that's true for every fan, I really want him on the pitch too.

To attempt to answer your hypothetical question, I think you know it's about how a defense works as a unit rather than individuals, whether it's a back 4 or 5 (3 cbs with 2 WBs) as well as it being dependant on the opposition we are facing - So for last night, Royal is on the list for me but it depends on the moving scales involved. Romero is probably the only absolutely indisputable shout consistently but any of those who have played could be.

Royal actually had a good game last night so it's such a weird time to pull this one out of the bag again, what do you want from this discussion, do you need everyone to agree with you? It's clear you want Spence to play and every Spurs fan wants all Spurs player's to do well in our shirt and Conte is currently the man who picks the team. Your idea of how well Spence would do is based on a different level of understanding as the coaching staff, that's true for every fan, I really want him on the pitch too.

To attempt to answer your hypothetical question, I think you know it's about how a defense works as a unit rather than individuals, whether it's a back 4 or 5 (3 cbs with 2 WBs) as well as it being dependant on the opposition we are facing - So for last night, Royal is on the list for me but it depends on the moving scales involved. Romero is probably the only absolutely indisputable shout consistently but any of those who have played could be.

I mention Spense to make a broader point, and that is I am questioning judgement.

Son, a player I really like, has been atrocious all season barring one sub appearance and he starts every match. That he lasted 77 minutes was diabolical.

His stubborness to a system that consistently results in us being swarmed in midfield does my head in.

Playing 3 three central defenders will not make us defend better when we do not have 3 quality players to play.

Back