• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Djed Spence

Conte wants him and we have been extensively scouting him for a while. I am sure that we know what we would be getting. Conte also has a good record of getting top performances out of players that others have overlooked, particularly at WB

Some of its relative - he's 10 times better that Traore, the last player we were seriously linked to for this role (i.e. he can actually control and kick a ball).

But I think it's a shame that we are a bit limited on options here, especially due to the long-term injuries of Livramento and Bogle, who would otherwise have been obvious options for us.

Some of you clearly have barely watched him. I’ve seen a lot of the Championship this season and he has been quality both attacking and defending. Even if he had a poor game today - which he didn’t, that isn’t enough to judge him on….

Yep, Was just my thoughts on today. I have seen him have better games and I'm still all for signing him. Would love some solid home grown signings sprinkled in over each window.

Not a top-four level player imo

Are Winks, Sanchez, Golini, Rodon, Royal "top four level" in your eyes? They all just finished top four, so by definition they must be, but I find it such a bizarre way to define a player.

On Spence I do think the problem would be that I wouldn't be fully comfortable going in to the season with him + Doherty as our options..He's had a great season no doubt and the championship is a tough league, but I don't think it's as simple as a Conte pre season getting him ready to step up so quickly that he'd be effective in PL crunch games as well as against Europe's elite.

Are Winks, Sanchez, Golini, Rodon, Royal "top four level" in your eyes? They all just finished top four, so by definition they must be, but I find it such a bizarre way to define a player.

On Spence I do think the problem would be that I wouldn't be fully comfortable going in to the season with him + Doherty as our options..He's had a great season no doubt and the championship is a tough league, but I don't think it's as simple as a Conte pre season getting him ready to step up so quickly that he'd be effective in PL crunch games as well as against Europe's elite.

For me, it's a way of assessing players and reflecting Conte's statement that he wants to manage a team competing for the title, not fourth place. How many of our players would be considered by Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool or Chelsea? Kane, Son, Romero, Lloris possibly Dier, Bentancur Kusulevski. Certainly not Winks, Sanchez, Gollini, Rodon & Royal.

For me, it's a way of assessing players and reflecting Conte's statement that he wants to manage a team competing for the title, not fourth place. How many of our players would be considered by Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool or Chelsea? Kane, Son, Romero, Lloris possibly Dier, Bentancur Kusulevski. Certainly not Winks, Sanchez, Gollini, Rodon & Royal.

Would rose have got in a title competing team at 21? We loaned him to sunderland.

I don't know if spence is good enough or has the right attitude. But he's still young. If paratici and conte think he can do a job fair enough. He most probably won't be first choice. Possibly not the only rwb we sign.

So when you say top four level you mean not top four but ready to compete for the title? Can you see how that's a bit vague / confusing, what you've initially said and how you've defined it are different things.

I appreciate its an easy go to phrase but it isn't a reliable metric. When talking about Conte it's going to be an over-used example but take Moses, I doubt many people said he was "top four level" but ended up a title winning wing-back contributing hugely to their success implementing the Manager's system.

Who gets in to who's first XI is fantasy football talk, it's all hypothetical and doesn't take in to account getting the right tools to carry out a particular game plan.

Essentially (assuming my take on what you meant is correct), what you've said of Spence not being up to the level required may be true, but it's so much more complicated than him not being a top four level. Plenty of potential though but may be the wrong time, a couple more years on his current trajectory would make him an absolute must.

Currently he seems a bit more like a project like Sess, on at least one flank we need proven rather than potential.

Last edited:
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what's the deal with the guy who keeps him out of the Boro side? Isaiah Jones?

Is it a naughton and walker thing, and are we definitely looking at the right one?

What's a top 4 player? Pogba? Varane? Sancho? Van der Bekk. To me we need players who can perform at a consistently good level in our team, not the latest toy in the shop.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what's the deal with the guy who keeps him out of the Boro side? Isaiah Jones?

Is it a naughton and walker thing, and are we definitely looking at the right one?

Before the loan to forest spence had an attitude problem allegedly. Boro fans seemed to think jones was the better of the 2. Not watched enough of either to say either way.

But compare it to Sessegnon single-handily bossing that fixture 4 years ago. It was just a bit of a wakeup to me that, if he does come, he likely won't be close to threatening the starting 11 for a good 6-12 months.
Sess played attacking left wing that game
Not wing back

Before the loan to forest spence had an attitude problem allegedly. Boro fans seemed to think jones was the better of the 2. Not watched enough of either to say either way.
From what I’ve seen of the two I would say Jones is the more eye catching player going forward (in the same sort of way Moura could be considered eye catching) but not sure his productivity is actually better and all round Spence is the better player….

Back