• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Without knowing what's gone on behind the scenes, I wouldn't blame him for not being hungry to fight for the opportunity. I thought he fought for his opportunity vs Marine, after half a season of very limited opportunities, and got absolutely zero gametime in response. Whereas Bergwijn gets endless opportunities despite being virtually impotent in attack, and even Moura gets more opportunities despite constantly trying the kinds of unsuccessful flicks and dribbles that Mourinho publicly criticised Dele for. I'd imagine at some point you'd just give up.
I did notice a particularly bad Moura back heel that lost possession in our own half last night.

I now await Jose banishing Moura from the squad for the next 6 games.

Last edited:
Fair, but he looks a shadow of a player that can chip in or be a goal threat currently. We are running out of games to accommodate him as well if we want to finish in the top four. Hopefully he shows in training that he deserves to be more involved. An inform Dele can be a season changer for us for sure. Not so confident of that currently happening though.

we are running out of games agreed but earlier in the season he could have had more minutes in the EL/LC than he was given (same thing with Vinicius really) and that could have then led to being trusted more in the league as he would have been more match sharp. But is what it is now - Im disappointed that he was under utilised early on in the season in those cup games and now we're reaping what we have sown.

Without knowing what's gone on behind the scenes, I wouldn't blame him for not being hungry to fight for the opportunity. I thought he fought for his opportunity vs Marine, after half a season of very limited opportunities, and got absolutely zero gametime in response. Whereas Bergwijn gets endless opportunities despite being virtually impotent in attack, and even Moura gets more opportunities despite constantly trying the kinds of unsuccessful flicks and dribbles that Mourinho publicly criticised Dele for. I'd imagine at some point you'd just give up.
Understandable and I’m sure I’ve posted similar in the past, but the hope I have is professional pride and a natural competitive spirit would still burning inside. There does need to be some incentive given by Mourinho.

What do you mean by ‘strolled’? He found space in attacking areas and helped out in defensive areas. Were you looking for him to charge around after the ball?

A lack of REAL effort to try and dictate the game is what i mean, good players do not go charging around after the ball ( and i say once again Dele IS a good player). He had a opportunity to shove two fingers up to Jose in a game that SHOULD have suited his ability and he failed to show it.

A lack of REAL effort to try and dictate the game is what i mean, good players do not go charging around after the ball ( and i say once again Dele IS a good player). He had a opportunity to shove two fingers up to Jose in a game that SHOULD have suited his ability and he failed to show it.

He was not great at all, but the circumstances were fast from ideal for anyone to make an impact, let alone someone with as much weight in the moment as he is carrying re: him and Mourinho. Plus dictate that game? There was no calm to be found. It was out of control. One of those.

He was not great at all, but the circumstances were fast from ideal for anyone to make an impact, let alone someone with as much weight in the moment as he is carrying re: him and Mourinho. Plus dictate that game? There was no calm to be found. It was out of control. One of those.
It's not even Dele's play strike do dictate games. At his best he's a finisher of moves. Either playing that final pass or getting in on goal himself. I think we will all be disappointed if we expect him to step up and to start playmaking. It's not his playstyle.

It's not even Dele's play strike do dictate games. At his best he's a finisher of moves. Either playing that final pass or getting in on goal himself. I think we will all be disappointed if we expect him to step up and to start playmaking. It's not his playstyle.
Spot on for me. Even when brilliant he would quite frequently have fairly quiet games, but with moments of brilliance at varying frequency.

May be, then, that he doesn’t suit the current manager’s requirements and he needs to therefore adapt or move on. That’s not an unusual situation in football.

May be, then, that he doesn’t suit the current manager’s requirements and he needs to therefore adapt or move on. That’s not an unusual situation in football.
I don't disagree. It's possible for Dele to confound expectations and for his play style to adapt but I don't see it. He doesn't have the short passing game nor the overall view of the game for that imo. It's also possible for Jose to adapt his system in such a way as to take advantage of Dele's playstyle but I didn't think that would happen in the summer and the evidence of the season so far suggests he's not inclined to do so.

So assuming Jose Mourinho is our manager in the medium term then yes it is probably for the best that we use what funds Dele can generate and reinvest into the side in a productive manner.

That’s true
It happens
And of the player turns out to come good elsewhere that manager is them deemed to have failed... I mean who would sell salah and De Bruyne.... when you have Lampard and hazard already

I don't disagree. It's possible for Dele to confound expectations and for his play style to adapt but I don't see it. He doesn't have the short passing game nor the overall view of the game for that imo. It's also possible for Jose to adapt his system in such a way as to take advantage of Dele's playstyle but I didn't think that would happen in the summer and the evidence of the season so far suggests he's not inclined to do so.

So assuming Jose Mourinho is our manager in the medium term then yes it is probably for the best that we use what funds Dele can generate and reinvest into the side in a productive manner.
Issue is of course who will buy him for a fee that’s enough?
The reality is he has fallen down the pecking order here but had fallen down the pecking order for England before Jose too dont forget
We as club will have a high value on him but buying clubs will look at him and see a lack of game time and potentially a lack of success showing flexibility in his playing style (fur people saying he plays everywhere really well)
So his sale IMO is difficult. PSG didn’t want to buy him u mess they had a loan with an option (if any of that’s true) and in the prem it’s really the likes of Villa and Everton I guess who would want him (to replace siggy or Barkley maybe)

Issue is of course who will buy him for a fee that’s enough?
The reality is he has fallen down the pecking order here but had fallen down the pecking order for England before Jose too dont forget
We as club will have a high value on him but buying clubs will look at him and see a lack of game time and potentially a lack of success showing flexibility in his playing style (fur people saying he plays everywhere really well)
So his sale IMO is difficult. PSG didn’t want to buy him u mess they had a loan with an option (if any of that’s true) and in the prem it’s really the likes of Villa and Everton I guess who would want him (to replace siggy or Barkley maybe)
All good points. Either a loan to get some form back into him or games here are needed. That 60m+ that he was reportedly valued at looks a very hard figure to hit now.

Spot on for me. Even when brilliant he would quite frequently have fairly quiet games, but with moments of brilliance at varying frequency.
This. Dele without Eriksen as a supplier is half the player, maybe if Pochettino had got his wish to keep Sigurdsson we would still see him being a goal scoring beast but with Lo Celso now suffering sick-note-itis I don’t know how Dele is going to going to prove his worth and he must be gutted to be denied the chance of being on the end of Di Maria’s assists for the rest of this season.

You are spot on he is not a playmaker and i have said that before, that is one of the reasons i have said he may not/does not fit into Jose side. We all know he has talent but his strengths do not seem to fit into the team at the moment.

Bang on, unless he adapts his game ( and i can not see him doing that) he will struggle to become a regular player in the team again. imo

If we're going to play 4231 with any regularity going forward there should be a space for him in the 3 as an option. It's not like Bergwijn is performing at a high level.

Edit : I've seen the argument that he's only any good off the left, so why not cover for Son? We know he can link with and push on ahead of Kane, a front 4 of :

Kane/Vinicius
Son/Dele Lamela/GLC Bergwijn/Moura
is pretty well stocked - apart from the central two options always being injured...

Last edited:
Back