• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

I can’t believe he has scored 50. I’d have said 20 tops.

I’m not a massive fan of the role Dele plays in the team, too ephemeral, but I do like the man and he has shown an extraordinary talent.

Nothing that hasn't already been said by others/a sizeable percentage of the fanbase

It sums Jenas up as a player, soft touch who can't handle a bit of tough love.

Alli is right to have missed some game time, no one has a fudging clue how Mourinho is handling it behind closed doors. It's all speculation.

Alli will play if he earns the right to play, and fair enough.

It sums Jenas up as a player, soft touch who can't handle a bit of tough love.

Alli is right to have missed some game time, no one has a fudging clue how Mourinho is handling it behind closed doors. It's all speculation.

Alli will play if he earns the right to play, and fair enough.

It's the type of story/narrative that being a club at the top with big name players/managers attract - better get used to it

He shouldn't propagate flimflam speculation.

Wouldn't be much of a sports media industry if that was common...

Besides who's to say someone like Jenas, who is potentially close to people still at the club, is just speculating?

Last edited:
Jeans is offering an opinion. I’ve no problem with that - better he gives his honest view than just backs everything we do because he used to play for us.

The bit I’ve trouble with though is that he’s factually wrong when he says Dele has been completely cast aside. He hasn’t. He played against Everton and although I wouldn’t have subbed him, he did very little. He played midweek and we looked better after he went off.

Is Jose supposed to play him because he’s Dele Alli? Doesn’t that then end up with a scenario that Jenas himself criticised Sven Goran Eriksen for where his favourites always played?

The question then becomes how much responsibility does Jose have for getting the best out of Dele and what lengths does he need to go to in order to get it. Jose obviously doesn’t think he has much responsibility, Jenas seems to think he has quite a bit more. I’m not sure where I stand on that. I can’t see a Kane or Lloris relying on the manager to get the best out of him. On the other hand, someone like Cantona needed an arm around the shoulder approach. Jose doesn’t seem to buy into that, he expects players to take responsibility for themselves. It’s a different style of management and may not be suited to Dele.

There is a possibility this just isn’t meant to be without either Jose or Dele being wrong. Jose may be successful here, sell Dele and Dele goes on to achieve great things elsewhere where he has a manager who makes him feel loved and gets the best out of him. Some things just aren’t meant to be without it necessarily being anyone’s fault.

I think the key here, for me, is that individuals may need to be managed ... individually.

It’s the same in any job and I don’t think footballers are any different. There are basic principles that a good manager will set out and live and breathe by, but at the risk of coming over all corporate speak, the best managers employ situational leadership.

Dele probably needs to be managed in a specific way to get the best out of him, but Jose seems pretty set on how he runs his ship.

The question about whether Dele is high maintenance ie needs the team set up just right for him to thrive is also valid though.

Surely that individual style comes after a base layer of expected work related performance though, it's used to coax the extra 10-15% not the first 75% which should be a given in any field of work.

Otherwise as a manager you're just pandering to the individual.

Surely that individual style comes after a base layer of expected work related performance though, it's used to coax the extra 10-15% not the first 75% which should be a given in any field of work.

Otherwise as a manager you're just pandering to the individual.
Yep, absolutely fair points.

Good, don't know why Jenas has his knickers in a twist, Alli has not been good for years and we owe him nothing. We gave him the big stage and he done well to begin with but let the hype get to him. Classic example of not keeping your feet on the ground. Sad we didn't get rid of him a season or 2 ago and got more money for him.

Back