• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

We have only paid a £15 million loan fee for Lo Celso. If we pay any more for him it will be next summer (and no doubt used for a second time by those saying ‘look at Levy’s ambition’)
But it’s money we have committed already in last summers transactions IMO
Again you can spin it however you want
The reason the deal was done as it was, was because of the sell in fee they had

Last edited:
It's the model we've used for years, buy young potential, give them a platform and sell them on.
Again, no problem with that but it will impact our ability to complete.
The model broke because we stopped selling players on. Instead over the last 4 years we've basically kept our stars which at the time seemed a great step and progress from the days of our best players being pillaged. But at the same time we stopped investing in the team so it has grown old together with few fresher faces.

To follow the model properly as Monaco, Dortmund, Athletico, Porto, Liverpool etc execute you have to be willing to let a star name go for a premium fee and then reinvest that money well. It's how you keep the wheels turning, new faces, new ideas, new talent. Sometimes you'll get it wrong but often with good scouting you can replace the established player very well.

I believe that Levy is too cautious and thus when the moment to strike arrives he plays it safe. A club in our position needs to be bold. The safe approach can only get you so far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

The model broke because we stopped selling players on. Instead over the last 4 years we've basically kept our stars which at the time seemed a great step and progress from the days of our best players being pillaged. But at the same time we stopped investing in the team so it has grown old together with few fresher faces.

To follow the model properly as Monaco, Dortmund, Athletico, Porto, Liverpool etc execute you have to be willing to let a star name go for a premium fee and then reinvest that money well. It's how you keep the wheels turning, new faces, new ideas, new talent. Sometimes you'll get it wrong but often with good scouting you can replace the established player very well.

I believe that Levy is too cautious and thus when the moment to strike arrives he plays it safe. A club in our position needs to be bold. The safe approach can only get you so far.

Last summer he wasn’t cautious
A huge fee for a French lad who has had two top season but previously had “issues”
A huge fee agreed for an Argentinian lad that “failed” at PSHG but excelled as a big fish in a little pond in a country speaking his language (and yeah the fail at PSG my not be exactly right)
Sessegnon after a failed season in the prem and a kid who barely had starts at Championship Leeds

I could also highlight the positives of every player there but there are no room for positives with a lot of folk right now

Depends on whether the club sees the remainder of the Lo Celso fee as money from this years budget or money from next years budget. I wouldn't want to gamble on either one.

A huge fee for a French lad who has had two top season but previously had “issues”
A huge fee agreed for an Argentinian lad that “failed” at PSHG but excelled as a big fish in a little pond in a country speaking his language (and yeah the fail at PSG my not be exactly right)
Sessegnon after a failed season in the prem and a kid who barely had starts at Championship Leeds

I could also highlight the positives of every player there but there are no room for positives with a lot of folk right now

Ndombele isn't a huge fee, it's a big fee for us, but not a huge few.
Another way of looking at the £150m in the summer is how much over the last six windows?
There's no point putting a new gear box in a car you haven't serviced in three years and expecting to out perform every car on the track that has been serviced and upgraded at every opportunity.

Ndombele isn't a huge fee, it's a big fee for us, but not a huge few.
Another way of looking at the £150m in the summer is how much over the last six windows?
There's no point putting a new gear box in a car you haven't serviced in three years and expecting to out perform every car on the track that has been serviced and upgraded at every opportunity.

It's potentially a sign of where we are at in the market though - a DM and full back signed at the level/reputation of Ndombele and Lo Celso and a couple of 'potential' signings like Sessegnon and Clarke and we will have made a dent in the work required on the squad.

Last summer sure we did go in on the window. I'm talking over a period of time and previous summers and previous windows.

In retrospect it might have been wise to have moved Eriksen on in the 18-19 window at the peak of his popularity and reinvested in the squad with fresh players. We held on to the squad and I agreed with that course of action at the time most of did.

A braver Chairman might have gone for that course of action that's all I'm saying.

Last summer sure we did go in on the window. I'm talking over a period of time and previous summers and previous windows.

In retrospect it might have been wise to have moved Eriksen on in the 18-19 window at the peak of his popularity and reinvested in the squad with fresh players. We held on to the squad and I agreed with that course of action at the time most of did.

A braver Chairman might have gone for that course of action that's all I'm saying.

One things for certain if Levy had taken that route i think the words used to describe that course of action would have been a far cry from "brave"

He should’ve done whatever his manager was asking him to do.

Do you think Pochettino was asking him to sell Eriksen?

Agreed that he should do what the manager wants (within reason) i was just highlighting that supporters would not have called it brave, the club progressed off the back of selling previous star players don't forget and even now having seen the progress made he still cops flack for selling

Don’t disagree
But as I said when we didn’t buy we had a lot of people commenting about how strong the squad was, how weak the players were who were being sold at the time, who could improve us etc....
Everything is easy in hindsight

Its not really hindsight though. Lots of us said how fudging dumb a thing it was to do and were often met with slightly sarcastic comments about the saviour Graelish etc. I found the sneering about a lower league player strange, considering most of our best purchases under ENIC have either come from the lower leagues or from unfancied leagues.

People made comments asking who could improve us because the nature of most football fans is they can't see wrong with their team. Of course there were players who could have improved us. Perhaps not immediately but that isn't always the point of making football transfers. It was a ridiculous thing to do at the time and even more ridiculous now.

Also about the 150 million. Firstly, we haven't spent 150 million. Secondly, the £100 million guaranteed we've spent so far is no longer the humungous expenditure it would have been in the past, in a world when midtable clubs are making £40-50 million transfers.

Do you think Pochettino was asking him to sell Eriksen?

Agreed that he should do what the manager wants (within reason) i was just highlighting that supporters would not have called it brave, the club progressed off the back of selling previous star players don't forget and even now having seen the progress made he still cops flack for selling

A large portion of the fanbase would have called it whatever Levy told them to call it. I think he's done an incredible job overall but a lot will just toe the party line, as they did during that window, when people were genuinely trying to argue 'being brave' meant not making transfers at all.

We obviously don't have all the information but I imagine by that point it was becoming increasingly clear behind the scenes that Eriksen was not likely to sign a new contract. If we were still running a sell to buy policy, that perhaps should have been a cue.

Others like Rose or Wanyama I don't blame him for, they're both just dingdongs.

Improving a team that was 2nd/3rd best in the league whilst shopping in the bargain basement is a hard task no matter how you want to spin it and that would be what was behind the "can't improve the team" thinking, at least in my case. If money was tight from the stadium build over run, holding your nerve for a year and investing in the team when you are better positioned to do so has logic - even if it panned out badly.

If we sold erisken when everyone thought he would sign on a new deal he would have been slaughtered

Its not really hindsight though. Lots of us said how fudging dumb a thing it was to do and were often met with slightly sarcastic comments about the saviour Graelish etc. I found the sneering about a lower league player strange, considering most of our best purchases under ENIC have either come from the lower leagues or from unfancied leagues.

People made comments asking who could improve us because the nature of most football fans is they can't see wrong with their team. Of course there were players who could have improved us. Perhaps not immediately but that isn't always the point of making football transfers. It was a ridiculous thing to do at the time and even more ridiculous now.

Also about the 150 million. Firstly, we haven't spent 150 million. Secondly, the £100 million guaranteed we've spent so far is no longer the humungous expenditure it would have been in the past, in a world when midtable clubs are making £40-50 million transfers.

What mid table club is making £40/50m transfers? Neverton... Their about to announce the losses and that’s gonna cause them a LOT of issues with FFP

Emirates Marketing Project have barely paid over £50m for a player. Rodri is their record at £62m or basically NDombele money. The difference of course is they have invested that kind of money over a number of windows but they haven’t had any restraints on them as their funded by a country

I’m now of the view that if we dont continue to invest the new money coming in then yeah I’ll go with the Levy is a tight arse crew, but I don’t look back and knock what we did as at the time it made sense. People forget that we had to rent Wembley too during the ground over run and that may have had an impact on the finances that we wouldn’t have budgeted for and those attendances dropped noticeably

When did they arrive? Lo Celso? A CLASSIC bit of Levy wheeling and dealing. Poch wanted signing for the start of pre-season. He got one out of three, he did not know who was staying or going and he did not know who he might end up with right up until the window closed. Sorry, whichever way you slice it, this is a terrible way for a Champions League Finalist to behave. We had a window early doors to attract the very very best, or at the very least, give Poch what he wanted EARLY! Instead we ended up wondering if we'd get LoCelso or another fudging Raziak. I'm sure the dressing room were fired up!!!!! I will always wonder what would've happened had Dybala actually got across the line...

Back