• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Pre-eminent physician Dr David Dildo Sullivan declared he had no ligaments in his knees. You don't back against knowledge like that.

Cartlidge maybe:cool:

There has to be something up with Austin, maybe it because Austin's always used to breakdown?

I'll get me coat......

I have been away for a few days so have only just had a chance to read the Levy statement.
Very nicely crafted PR document, the type of which is written only when the maker perceives there to be a problem. No-one wakes up and thinks 'I'd better make a statement to explain my great decisions'.
I especially like the way it's drafted on the basis of 'Mauricio and I think…'.

No surprise to see the stadium being referred to. As I've said before, the stadium will certainly put us on the map as the Europa League team with the best stadium. His suggestion that the stadium is "the one thing" that can take a club to the Champions League (i take it that is what he means by "the next level of competitiveness") is patently nonsense. I don't know another club that have gone from non-CL to CL simply off the back moving to a shiny new stadium. I do though know of many teams that have become perennial CL teams by spending cash on players.

As for "we never make anything public" - I have a memory of Levy talking to the press (was it about Modric or Bale or both??) in a similar way to that in which the WBA Chairman has spoken about Berahino - 'we won't sell at any price, the player needs to get his head down, etc'.

All in all, a cleverly drafted statement. Some will lap it up. Others won't.

I have been away for a few days so have only just had a chance to read the Levy statement.
Very nicely crafted PR document, the type of which is written only when the maker perceives there to be a problem. No-one wakes up and thinks 'I'd better make a statement to explain my great decisions'.
I especially like the way it's drafted on the basis of 'Mauricio and I think…'.

No surprise to see the stadium being referred to. As I've said before, the stadium will certainly put us on the map as the Europa League team with the best stadium. His suggestion that the stadium is "the one thing" that can take a club to the Champions League (i take it that is what he means by "the next level of competitiveness") is patently nonsense. I don't know another club that have gone from non-CL to CL simply off the back moving to a shiny new stadium. I do though know of many teams that have become perennial CL teams by spending cash on players.

As for "we never make anything public" - I have a memory of Levy talking to the press (was it about Modric or Bale or both??) in a similar way to that in which the WBA Chairman has spoken about Berahino - 'we won't sell at any price, the player needs to get his head down, etc'.

All in all, a cleverly drafted statement. Some will lap it up. Others won't.

And guess what the new stadium will bring in? more cash to spend on players.

Player power is dead and it means clubs don't and won't sell. The old style of brinksmanship, waiting until the deadline draws near because a club will have to sell eventually because they need the money, it's gone. I like that. But I don't think Levy had forseen this entirely.

I think it was actually that Poch didn't want Berahino that much, and would rather the money kept back for a better player when available if we had to pay over the odds for him. The beauty of having a Chairman and Manager aligned is, we will reap the benefit of that..

:confused:what?

player power is dead and clubs wont sell? So why did we sell Bale to Real. Why didnt Levy put his foot down and say give us one more year Gareth. No he thought he could be clever and get a world record fee and buy half a new team with the money. That was a great decision:rolleyes:

Poch didnt want Berahino that much? So levy was offering a 25 mill package to West Brom in the last hours of deadline day for a player the manager wasnt even that keen on??:rolleyes:

rightio

It could lead to those situations that you have described, but equally it could not. Our players are contracted on mostly long-term contracts so they will only be sold if we receive an offer that is acceptable to us. Berahino should show us that. So, losing our players will only be on our terms. In terms if we lose them, then losing Bale, Modric and Carrick has resulted in what downturn in performances i.e. league position? We have obviously shown that we can replace them and maintain a league position, despite numerous managerial changes in that time.

In terms of dropping to a position where we are unable to attract the quality of player we are now, I disagree. We will still be able to pay the 6th highest wages in this league and as is continually made out on here and I think perhaps by you (apologies if wrong), the smaller teams than us have managed to strengthen to catch up with us.

Mid-table does not in itself put a club on a downward spiral. Saudi Sportswashing Machine is one example, fine but is that a result of being mid-table or is it a result of the club hiring managers like Sam Allardyce and the general lack of direction and strategy. Look at what Swansea are doing. There is an example of a club on an upward trajectory. Liverpool fell into midtable not so long ago. They haven't fallen into a downward spiral as you suggest.

The last time that we finished midtable (8th - 2008/9) we finished 4th the following season and qualified for the Champions League.

I can remember a fair amount saying he's taken us as far as he can/we'll never beat the top 4 with Jol.

I can too but I was erring on the side of caution. I remember a fair few fans being very annoyed with him flirting with the Saudi Sportswashing Machine job.

Is Cambiasso going to press relentlessly in central midfield and have the stamina of a man with three lungs at his age?

Eeeeh what?

I'd venture that Mason probably thinks Poch is owed a 1000 thankyous for his development that took place last season. Maybe he can send his Head Coach a warm text from the England squad training site.

Fair point, although there's not a lot of competition atm.

If at 34 he wanted to end his career playing CL again and had enough money in the bank then yes, I think he would. Why not?
Why would playing in the CL be important to him at this point? He's played there for over ten years. He's even won it.

Why would playing in the CL be important to him at this point? He's played there for over ten years. He's even won it.

Is it not possible that he wants one last go in it, fancied playing in a different league or somewhere warmer?

Back