• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

The lack of respect that Guardiola and Emirates Marketing Project have shown to Spurs would make me think that DL will never sell a player to them again. City can go into Daniel's waste paper bin with Chelsea and Abramovich.

what's hilarious is they are running their mouth saying they won't come back to buy players from Spurs, as if we give a brick?

story running that they could have got Messi before closing on Grealish and didn't because Messi had turned them down in the past.

If both are true, the level of pettiness and entitlement there is stunning.

This is smart, always felt we needed to be better represented in these things

Daniel Levy set to replace Ed Woodward as Premier League representative of ECA - The Athletic

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is poised to represent the Premier League at the European Club Association (ECA), the influential committee made up of Europe’s leading sides.

Levy and Emirates Marketing Project CEO Ferran Soriano had been vying to replace Ed Woodward on the ECA board, after Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman stepped down in April after signing up to join the breakaway Super League.

The Tottenham chairman was understood to have won support from Premier League clubs including United, Liverpool and Arsenal and will now stand unopposed on Tuesday afternoon.

Levy’s place at the top table among European clubs comes just five months after Spurs were one of the clubs to quit the ECA after committing to join the Super League.

After the proposed competition crumbled within days, nine of the 12 clubs who agreed to join the Super League were reinstated by the ECA in August. Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus remain committed to a breakaway league.

Woodward was also the ECA’s representative on UEFA’s Professional Football Strategy Council, although it is yet to be seen if Levy will assume this position, too.

Daniel Levy set to replace Ed Woodward as Premier League representative of ECA - The Athletic

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is poised to represent the Premier League at the European Club Association (ECA), the influential committee made up of Europe’s leading sides.

Levy and Emirates Marketing Project CEO Ferran Soriano had been vying to replace Ed Woodward on the ECA board, after Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman stepped down in April after signing up to join the breakaway Super League.

The Tottenham chairman was understood to have won support from Premier League clubs including United, Liverpool and Arsenal and will now stand unopposed on Tuesday afternoon.

Levy’s place at the top table among European clubs comes just five months after Spurs were one of the clubs to quit the ECA after committing to join the Super League.

After the proposed competition crumbled within days, nine of the 12 clubs who agreed to join the Super League were reinstated by the ECA in August. Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus remain committed to a breakaway league.

Woodward was also the ECA’s representative on UEFA’s Professional Football Strategy Council, although it is yet to be seen if Levy will assume this position, too.

Guess the anger over the esl didn't last long?

Tells you everything you need to know about Levy's standing in the game, and the respect from other clubs.

Thought this bit at the end was worth adding, especially the final paragraph:

Levy is one of the most powerful men in English football, as well as one of the most private.

He has run Tottenham with forensic control for around 20 years now, transforming them from one of the mid-table pack into an example of how a modern self-sufficient football club should work.

When Levy joined the board, the club was worth £80 million. Now, with their world-class training ground and stadium, they are valued at £2 billion.

Wanted to add some thoughts on the Levy "penny pinching" discussion without further derailing the Nuno thread.

Levy is the chairman, but also part owner. He's wealthy, but not Joe Lewis wealthy. For Levy to inject his own money without Lewis doing the same (proportional to owner share) would be a huge ask.

A very common view in football is that people injecting a lot of money into a club is financial doping, unfair, not the "right way" to run a football club, yet doing the opposite is "penny pinching"? I guess those two options aren't held by a lot of the same people, can't please everyone.

I do feel like there's some cherry picking going on when claims about Levy penny pinching with the money within the club is made. Did he penny pinch with with our state of the art training ground, our state of the art stadium. Did he penny pinch when signing Sanchez, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Romero?

I guess there will always be "we should have also signed..." arguments with an owner that doesn't inject his own money into the club. There will always be revisionist history, if only at had signed... the outcome would have been... I find it very hard to accept that as correct.

I know it was a bit sarcastic. Any of the clubs would have done the same as spurs and they know it.

The self serving attitude of Brighton fans at the time was pathetic. This is from someone who used to respect them.

We already pretty much have a super league as rarely do any clubs outside the usual top 4 get in.

But if these people want to think their free, let them.

Wanted to add some thoughts on the Levy "penny pinching" discussion without further derailing the Nuno thread.

Levy is the chairman, but also part owner. He's wealthy, but not Joe Lewis wealthy. For Levy to inject his own money without Lewis doing the same (proportional to owner share) would be a huge ask.

A very common view in football is that people injecting a lot of money into a club is financial doping, unfair, not the "right way" to run a football club, yet doing the opposite is "penny pinching"? I guess those two options aren't held by a lot of the same people, can't please everyone.

I do feel like there's some cherry picking going on when claims about Levy penny pinching with the money within the club is made. Did he penny pinch with with our state of the art training ground, our state of the art stadium. Did he penny pinch when signing Sanchez, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Romero?

I guess there will always be "we should have also signed..." arguments with an owner that doesn't inject his own money into the club. There will always be revisionist history, if only at had signed... the outcome would have been... I find it very hard to accept that as correct.

This has been done to death unfortunately but basically there are three views

- Current model -> The club is self sufficient and self funded (with the caveat that ENIC/Levy/Lewis have been able to use their position to guarantee loans, get more favorable rates, etc.), the more the club grows, the more we can spend, in theory the better our results will get over time (long game) -> some people are ok with this model, some are not
- The Chelsea/City/Leicester (yes, them) model, e.g. throw money with no long term plan to sustainability (no, not interested in arguing why have £1.xB on your books with no plan to pay back isn't a good business model), effectively this is the sugar daddy solution -> some people want this and any owner who isn't doing this "sucks", the fact that City have spent pretty much a billion dollars under Pep alone and still may not walk the title this year (due to Chelsea doing similar), and Leicester despite spending way more than their income may not even get a Europa place shows how stupid the model is long term.
- The "take a gamble" approach, could Levy/ENIC have gambled with their own money at appropriate points, could they have diluted their shares to get additional funds at certain points that may (or may not) have paid itself back in the long run?

The Spurs does things on the cheap, never buys good players despite some of the evidence you and others have laid out comes back to the second view (money should just be spent regardless of financial viability of model).

Personally I see some logic in the third view, but it's very much a hindsight type criticism and ignores the main issue of progress in the PL, it's not just about what you do or if you have a good season, it's about what others do (e.g. if you could spend £100M but a peer who already has a better squad to start with spends £150M, is it worth putting yourself in a risk situation to spend that £100M?).

That is why the only long term answer to competitiveness had to be to close the income gap between Spurs and the top teams via Stadium, non football activities, raising club profile and reaping financial sponsorships/partnerships that come with that. This is often just mocked and whenever I mention it get told some brick about winning an accounting trophy.

And to close the loop on this, part of this also stems from the fact that people in the UK have a real weird view that football isn't a business (and all the working man class baggage brick), let's be clear if you are generating hundreds of millions of pounds in annual revenue, you are a business.

Football manager game and the like have a lot to answer for.

This has been done to death unfortunately but basically there are three views

- Current model -> The club is self sufficient and self funded (with the caveat that ENIC/Levy/Lewis have been able to use their position to guarantee loans, get more favorable rates, etc.), the more the club grows, the more we can spend, in theory the better our results will get over time (long game) -> some people are ok with this model, some are not
- The Chelsea/City/Leicester (yes, them) model, e.g. throw money with no long term plan to sustainability (no, not interested in arguing why have £1.xB on your books with no plan to pay back isn't a good business model), effectively this is the sugar daddy solution -> some people want this and any owner who isn't doing this "sucks", the fact that City have spent pretty much a billion dollars under Pep alone and still may not walk the title this year (due to Chelsea doing similar), and Leicester despite spending way more than their income may not even get a Europa place shows how stupid the model is long term.
- The "take a gamble" approach, could Levy/ENIC have gambled with their own money at appropriate points, could they have diluted their shares to get additional funds at certain points that may (or may not) have paid itself back in the long run?

The Spurs does things on the cheap, never buys good players despite some of the evidence you and others have laid out comes back to the second view (money should just be spent regardless of financial viability of model).

Personally I see some logic in the third view, but it's very much a hindsight type criticism and ignores the main issue of progress in the PL, it's not just about what you do or if you have a good season, it's about what others do (e.g. if you could spend £100M but a peer who already has a better squad to start with spends £150M, is it worth putting yourself in a risk situation to spend that £100M?).

That is why the only long term answer to competitiveness had to be to close the income gap between Spurs and the top teams via Stadium, non football activities, raising club profile and reaping financial sponsorships/partnerships that come with that. This is often just mocked and whenever I mention it get told some brick about winning an accounting trophy.

And to close the loop on this, part of this also stems from the fact that people in the UK have a real weird view that football isn't a business (and all the working man class baggage brick), let's be clear if you are generating hundreds of millions of pounds in annual revenue, you are a business.
The main problem is very few people have an understanding of this side of football. I don't crticise that, as it is a game after all, BUT it is a massive part of 'why' things happen at a club.

If you don't understand this you only have half the story. That half is, the manager, the players and the onfield visuals...we all know this half inside out, and unfortunately this is the emotionally charged side. The game Levy has to play off the field is unglamorous and boring to most people and gaining an insight or understanding of it is not exactly appealling. But it is in modern times, a big part of football.
Most criticism of Levy is born out of the emotional hurt landed on you as a fan by not winning, This is natural, just as looking to blame someone (or somethingthing) helps reconcile events. The overriding complaints really boil down to not having an endless supply of money, and a lot of coulda shoulda woulda BUT if you absolutely have no understanding of that side of the game or ability to place yourself in Levy's shoes and look at it from his position (daily) then it's hard to engage in a honest debate.

Think some people don't like our model (they'd rather a sugar daddy as success comes quickly) and some don't like the long game (similarly, nothings quick) BUT it does give us long term stability (beyond these owners) and big club identity, plus guarantees us revenue streams we are in control of. That will see us successful, I'm sure of it. It's a tough league (the toughest) but I think one thing we can be is smarter. Hopefully Paratici is the start of that and with the right manager (could easily be Nuno) and patience (once again) we can challenge.

Besides, most of Levy's work is done. The golden goose has been built, keep throwing the beer down your neck rather than crying into it:D... As the more income the more we'll spend;), Levy/Lewis won't be taking anything out until they sell, guaranteed.

Last edited:
I think he's done well for thfc enterprise but failed at football matters. Didn't hire a dof when we needed one and went on a buying spree without coaching staff buy in. Those crucial two years... We could have maintained momentum but instead regressed with an ageing and entitled squad. Also why get JM if you're not going to back him?

And in those years he paid himself well and got a bonus even though the stadium costs overran... Even the cfo stayed on.... Feels like they were just caring about themselves not football.

Well after JM he seems to have almost all the issues I listed, remains to be seen if he would use proceeds from non football areas to fund players transfers and wages.... Or would he draw a hard line and pocket non football revenue for himself and the directors and let football survive on its own with the new stadium.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
I think he's done well for thfc enterprise but failed at football matters. Didn't hire a dof when we needed one and went on a buying spree without coaching staff buy in. Those crucial two years... We could have maintained momentum but instead regressed with an ageing and entitled squad. Also why get JM if you're not going to back him?

And in those years he paid himself well and got a bonus even though the stadium costs overran... Even the cfo stayed on.... Feels like they were just caring about themselves not football.

Well after JM he seems to have almost all the issues I listed, remains to be seen if he would use proceeds from non football areas to fund players transfers and wages.... Or would he draw a hard line and pocket non football revenue for himself and the directors and let football survive on its own with the new stadium.

Thanks for proving my point.

so what fantasy figure would you have liked to take over as Chairman and CFO? or do you fancy someone from the real world like Keswick or Woodward (available on a free remember) or maybe a banker like Howard Davies or what about getting our own Russian mobster like Mordashov or Saudi Arabian prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud, cause its that easy, it really is.

Apologies for the sarcastic post but reality is its bloody hard to find a better chairman/co owner without us selling our souls so we can play cheatball

so what fantasy figure would you have liked to take over as Chairman and CFO? or do you fancy someone from the real world like Keswick or Woodward (available on a free remember) or maybe a banker like Howard Davies or what about getting our own Russian mobster like Mordashov or Saudi Arabian prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud, cause its that easy, it really is.

Apologies for the sarcastic post but reality is its bloody hard to find a better chairman/co owner without us selling our souls so we can play cheatball

100% this but on top of it. No one is offering us the chance to play cheat ball either.

Back