• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I think we done about as much as could be reasonably expected from a club of our standing wrt to backing Mourinho - only 2 of the big 6 outspent us in the last 2 years, that to me shows intent and that it's clearly not a financial problem.

That to me shows we were making up for lost time after 18 months of no signings at all.

Honestly I think it really comes down to: if we were going to consistently be the 3/4th highest spenders in the league, I don’t think Poch gets so frustrated, and I don’t think Kane would want to leave.

What is pretty clear is everything that is happening is the result of a strategy to not want to push on beyond our ‘rightful place’ of 6th, so good people want out. People that have said they are happy to stay at the club as long as it feels like we are progressing.

Effectively people are arguing for ENIC’s right to keep us 6th on average. They don’t take money out, they don’t put money in, and so we have to be ok that this is the best we can do. I think it’s rubbish. We don’t have to wait for the ‘taps to be turned on’ from the stadium to start competing. If we were actually about to, Kane would not want out. Simple as that.

When we have been close to glory they have stuck to their guns instead of thinking that they could have compromised the time of the build, or atleast set it back a season or two in exchange to push the titles over the line. They have not found that balance and its the ambitions and motives that get fans thinking and questioning them.

Put the stadium build on hold or delay it a year or two?

Full marks for out the box thinking but not sure it would have been in any way shape or form realistically achievable :D you can't just put a pause something like that

Because we've missed chance after chance to actually win something when we were much closer, to back managers to let them get the plans in place that they were hired for / built their reputations on, and we are now back to where we were 7 years ago. We have a great new stadium and our best player, an academy graduate who loves the club, wants to leave. We have not made meaningful progress on the pitch, and we are falling back. That's why I think it is a bad thing. Our reputation in the game is clear - we are not the place to go to win trophies.

A lot of people seem pretty convinced that 'the journey' is going to lead to success. I'm just not convinced. If the stadium was to be a real game changer, I don't think we lose Poch, and I don't think we lose Kane.

The stadium gave us extra funds to buy players. Which we did. Covid might hamper that.

The stadium gave us extra funds to buy players. Which we did. Covid might hamper that.

Great! Why does Kane want out then? If the stadium was done, and it was all about getting that done before really making a push, why is he mentally gone? Why did Poch get so frustrated?

We're either a club with standing in the game that suggests we are going to try and win things, or we aren't. It's either the lack of investment from the owners, or it's the lack of proper backing of managers (inc sacking them before cup finals). Or it's a bit of a combination of both. But we don't look like a club that is serious about winning.

Great! Why does Kane want out then? If the stadium was done, and it was all about getting that done before really making a push, why is he mentally gone? Why did Poch get so frustrated?

We're either a club with standing in the game that suggests we are going to try and win things, or we aren't. It's either the lack of investment from the owners, or it's the lack of proper backing of managers (inc sacking them before cup finals). Or it's a bit of a combination of both. But we don't look like a club that is serious about winning.

I should imagine he's realised his next contract will be the biggest of his career, he'll make more money elsewhere, I've lost count of how many kids he has but its quite a few now, he has to put their future first.

I should imagine he's realised his next contract will be the biggest of his career, he'll make more money elsewhere, I've lost count of how many kids he has but its quite a few now, he has to put their future first.

He was happy to sign a 6 year one when he was already one of the best strikers in the country. At that point, he saw us progressing. Now he sees the regression back to 6th, and quite justifiably he is done with it.

I’ve always refrained from entering any Levy discussions, have always thought he’s done a decent job with us growing in stature over the years and getting to a point of at least competing with the big boys.

To be fair some of the anti Levy posts have given food for thought, but I’ve never seen any actual decent suggestions of how we move forward to become a genuine powerhouse with our current limitations. We are in the unique position of being the only club to of consistently broken the big 4,so much so it’s had to become a big 6 whilst not having the same spending power. Now we have the opportunity to potentially grow our revenues with the new stadium and its various functions, I’d like to see a couple of years of how we act with the increased revenues and if that is reflected with investment on the pitch - then I think will be a fairer point to decide whether ENIC have taken us as far as they can or not.

But for now, I think the only way Levy could improve us is with what has already been suggested - a DoF. It’s not the fact that we aren’t spending, it’s that we are spending on the wrong players/positions. We spent 60 odd million on NDombele, if Leicester had that cash they would have bought three good players for that and can guarantee after a year playing for them they would have doubled/tripled in value. Get a good DoF in and we could probably spend less and be more successful in the market.

The next couple of years are sink or swim for Levy and co, but unless some bottomless pit fancies a punt with Spurs I’m not wanting them out just yet....

That to me shows we were making up for lost time after 18 months of no signings at all.

Time will tell on that one i guess - not sure that evidence would suggest there was a transfer budget to carry over from those 18 months as during that period we were sell to buy essentially (so no outgoings meant no budget to carry over) if that's what you meant by making up for lost time.

Honestly I think it really comes down to: if we were going to consistently be the 3/4th highest spenders in the league, I don’t think Poch gets so frustrated, and I don’t think Kane would want to leave.

Who knows, 5+ years is a long time in football and there's more to being happy at a club than just having money to spend - we had a very tight unit at the club between the managers & players and then that seemed to collapse sometime between the 2 seasons at Wembley - there's more to that than what meets the eye imo. Wrt to backing we spent a considerable amount between Poch & Jose the past 2 years, enough of a figure that Poch could have got a rebuild close to what he would have wanted had he wanted to see it through, so i find it hard to believe, with that in mind available budget post stadium is what led to his exit.
Kane has sat through a 3 year decline of performance, taking us from top 3 looking to challenge the title to hoping to qualify for the EL, he's 28 - the last 2 years were ours to convince him to stay, not the next two.

What is pretty clear is everything that is happening is the result of a strategy to not want to push on beyond our ‘rightful place’ of 6th, so good people want out. People that have said they are happy to stay at the club as long as it feels like we are progressing.

This is your negative spin on things and not 'clear' to me at all - what's clear to me is if you don't want to push past 6 then you don't sack managers for finishing 5th-6th, which we do, regularly(?)

Effectively people are arguing for ENIC’s right to keep us 6th on average. They don’t take money out, they don’t put money in, and so we have to be ok that this is the best we can do. I think it’s rubbish. We don’t have to wait for the ‘taps to be turned on’ from the stadium to start competing. If we were actually about to, Kane would not want out. Simple as that.

This isn't what people are arguing, at least not from what i have seen apart from Glasgowspur earlier - and kinda contradicts that our 2010s decade average was 4th, why now that we have more money to spend on the squad are we going to expect to see our average level decrease? Not only that but be happy for it to happen? It's a strange opinion you have dreamed that other people hold

Oh Levy wants to do better than 6th - I accept that BUT he has this idea in his head that it can be done by spotting talent early and therefore much cheaper than established players who have the experience of winning trophies and thus a winning mentality, with associated enhanced confidence.

This is the Space Cadet approach - deny that wages and high fees are needed to win things and expect a Manager to work miracles with young players and bargain bin players because he pays them many £millions per year.

Thing is he will have to pay Jose and his team many £millions severance money when he perhaps could have upped the offer for Skriniar by - say - £5M - and got him... Could have made all the difference to our porous defence this season.

They say you can spoil the ship for a h'apporth of tar - well Levy spoils the team for the sake of a few £million - and before you tell me that £millions are important so is CL football.

He will never agree that in this life you get what you pay for and we have had too many duds - N'Jie, N'koudou, Foyth, Defendi - the list goes on - all bought hoping they would kick on like Deli Alli has - £5M spent - £50M on the Balance sheet - lovely jubbly... but these are very rare nuggets to be found - exceptional, not everyday events.

How many years do you want to give this shower? Another two? Another five? Another twenty? Many on here are far too sanguine about the future - when Harry is banging them in for Emirates Marketing Project and against us, you will still be defending ENIC and Levy

I need a stiff drink!

Time will tell on that one i guess - not sure that evidence would suggest there was a transfer budget to carry over from those 18 months as during that period we were sell to buy essentially (so no outgoings meant no budget to carry over) if that's what you meant by making up for lost time.

Who knows, 5+ years is a long time in football and there's more to being happy at a club than just having money to spend - we had a very tight unit at the club between the managers & players and then that seemed to collapse sometime between the 2 seasons at Wembley - there's more to that than what meets the eye imo. Wrt to backing we spent a considerable amount between Poch & Jose the past 2 years, enough of a figure that Poch could have got a rebuild close to what he would have wanted had he wanted to see it through, so i find it hard to believe, with that in mind available budget post stadium is what led to his exit.
Kane has sat through a 3 year decline of performance, taking us from top 3 looking to challenge the title to hoping to qualify for the EL, he's 28 - the last 2 years were ours to convince him to stay, not the next two.

This is your negative spin on things and not 'clear' to me at all - what's clear to me is if you don't want to push past 6 then you don't sack managers for finishing 5th-6th, which we do, regularly(?)

This isn't what people are arguing, at least not from what i have seen apart from Glasgowspur earlier - and kinda contradicts that our 2010s decade average was 4th, why now that we have more money to spend on the squad are we going to expect to see our average level decrease? Not only that but be happy for it to happen? It's a strange opinion you have dreamed that other people hold

I don't think the idea that there 'might not have been a transfer budget to carry over' is the refutation of my point that you think it might be?

I completely agree with you that the last 2 years were the ones to show Kane should stay. And we blew it. From a position of strength. We took everything that made someone like Kane want to stay - a manager that gets the best out of him, a club that looked like it was following a plan and progressing, and totally blew it. Levy made the JM hire because he was doing the best he could, within the constraints of the ENIC plan. We weren't going to back Poch and make a real step forward, we were going to squeeze as much as possible out of this squad, and pray we don't fall too far. Kane always said he would stay if he thought we were progressing. I'm sure he is literally quoted as saying it. I'm not sure there can be too much argument about it. We don't feel like we are progressing anymore, and Kane it out. Who's fault is it?

We sacked a manager a week before a cup final. We sacked Harry for coming 4th. We sacked Poch for being a few points off of 4th and 6th when he was sacked. If your argument is we sack managers because we expect them to be top 3 with the lack of backing we give them, I'd say that's a frankly insane way to run a football club. I think we sack managers because they realise ENIC aren't going to want to push on beyond this comfortable point, and it's easier to get someone else who feels they can use Spurs as a useful stepping stone, and will be happy with the ENIC plan. I'm sure Levy is quoted somewhere as saying he wants managers to need us as much as we need them. Clearly so they will be pliable to our plan and structure. AVB needed us after Chelsea, was for all intents and purposes unhappy with how the Bale money was spent, and left. Harry was always a rescue act that ended up working too well. Poch clearly got frustrated with the constraints. Jose was clearly a punt. But we don't hire a manager and back them in say, the way Liverpool back Klopp. We sign players that will likely be good investments over the mid-term, that some other manager will likely get something out of if the current one fails, and their quality should hopefully keep us 6th. That isn't real backing to help us push on. We've arrived at a position of strength a few times, and we haven't seized the day.

Ultimately, if we want to push past 6th, we invest like we want to push past 6th, or at least back managers and get behind a plan. Our average position of 4th is almost entirely down to the ridiculous work Poch managed to pull off under those constraints, which we have squandered. What we are seeing now is a regression back to ENIC's actual level, when they don't have a miracle-working, lemon-loving crazy person who was happy to turn down Real Madrid to stick this out, because he believed in building something. If Poch wasn't that way inclined, we likely would have regressed way before it.

I'm not dreaming anything up. I'm taking these arguments to their logical conclusion. I think we all accept ENIC don't take money out, and they don't put money in. My argument is, I want someone to put some money in. Maybe a sugar daddy, maybe a tech billionaire, maybe a sports investment group, maybe someone as rich as Joe Lewis but who has a little more passion for Spurs, and is comfortable chucking the odd couple of million in to get a deal over the line, if we're at a position of strength. It seems like most people are happy to say 'we are happy with ENIC putting nothing in and taking nothing out, and we think this strategy will bear out'. I don't think the strategy will bear out, because I don't think people who love this club would want to leave if we were about to really push on. So I would challenge that point, and really ask why people seem to be happy with our owners for treating our club the exact same way that Arsenal's - who have a terrible reputation - treat theirs? People are effectively arguing for ENIC's right to not put any money in, when all that means is that Lewis does not give a flying fudge about the trophies the club wins, as long as he profits on the investment. People also seem to be arguing that by really backing a manager and getting him the players he wants, e.g. Moutinho, Skriniar, Grealish, we risk doing a Leeds, despite the blatantly obvious examples of players like Sissoko signed for big money, likely because they have versatility and longevity (so multiple managers will want them) rather than getting behind a manager who has a plan to win. I think there's a huge gap between doing a Leeds and pushing to win some trophies. It doesn't mean spending City money, but it does mean Lewis could have chucked in a few million to help us maintain a position of strength. He didn't do that because it's an investment to him. And fans, for reasons beyond my comprehension, are passionately defending his right to do so, despite the last 2 years of terrible decisions and our best player wanting to leave.

I get the argument that the stadium is about to be the game changer, I really do. And I will always refute that with the idea that I don't think Poch and Kane would be out if that was actually going to be the case. No one doubts Chelsea want to win things. I don't think people doubt Liverpool's ambition. People in the game definitely doubt ours. It goes back to this club being an investment for Joe Lewis. He isn't as passionate about trophies as we are, and he isn't going to do all he can to get us them. And beyond assuming that the stadium is going to change everything despite completing it leading to our worst 2 years in the last decade, I don't see why people are defending his right to keep us going with these constraints.

I should say, I get people defending Lewis / ENIC because they like the fact we are comfortably 6th and won't drop too far. That's your prerogative. But I think there is an lengthening list of evidence that suggests they don't want to push on - Kane's news being the latest. I'm just saying, as a fan, I think it is blindingly obvious the next step of investment isn't worth it to them, and after 20 years I'm surprised people aren't more angry about how things have gotten, especially since we came so close to it all.

I should say, I get people defending Lewis / ENIC because they like the fact we are comfortably 6th and won't drop too far. That's your prerogative. But I think there is an lengthening list of evidence that suggests they don't want to push on - Kane's news being the latest. I'm just saying, as a fan, I think it is blindingly obvious the next step of investment isn't worth it to them, and after 20 years I'm surprised people aren't more angry about how things have gotten, especially since we came so close to it all.
I actually think fans are quite ambivalent to most owners as we know we can’t change them
I mean the state of the protest on Saturday said it all to me
Every fan wants a better team
Not every team can be winners though
The owners are rarely credited when things go well but regularly blamed when it goes wrong.

Because he's 28 and doesn't have time to wait around to see how the rebuild goes that will take 2-3 years to properly compete with City. If he wants to win trophies he has to go now or next season at the very latest.

Back