• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

One player that was widely reported from many sources as being offered was Tielemans. If Poch was turning down players like that then that is more than enough context.
Anyway, starting to go off on a Poch shaped tangent here so...
So managers are offered players rather than provided with players who they have identifed as suiting their system? Isn't that is a ridiculous premise?

So managers are offered players rather than provided with players who they have identifed as suiting their system? Isn't that is a ridiculous premise?
Do you know that he didn't ask for a certain style of players with Tielemans being one option provided. Do you believe that Tielemans wouldn't have fitted into Pochs team?
Neither of us have a clue how it operated or the real reasons no player was signed or Poch turned players.

The Champions League utterances? I think those comments were lost in translation. The problem when you are saying things in a language that you have learnt is that you do not have nuances and idioms of someone who has spoken the language for a long time in its native country. I am not aware of any utterances in pre season. But if those are reasons to sack him as @Spur of the moment claims then I think we are reaching a bit.

Redknapp reminds me of Boris Johnson. He was allegedly as bent as a six bob note. His mind was clearly not on the job in his last season (speaking to Brendan Rodgers about the England job and tax evasion case). The drop off we experienced while he was thinking about England and his court case was unforgivable given the quality of the squad at his disposal. His sacking was absolutely justified imho.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...chettino-leave-spurs-win-champions-leave-ajax

I don't think it was a lost in translation thing. The above is before the Ajax game and I believe he said similar before the final.

He tinkled off home to Barcelona after the loss because he was so tinkled we lost. He should have gone to London with the rest of the team.

Before the start of the following season, after an Audi Cup game IIRC, he was very spiky in a press conference and said "don't ask me about transfers. I'm not involved The club needs to change my title from manager to coach."

I will always love Poch but towards the end he was visibly tinkled off with things to the point that I didn't blame Levy for lining up a successor. He had justification for feeling aggrieved in my view but I think he could have conducted himself better towards the end. Which was a shame because for almost 5 years he conducted himself impeccably.

Totally disagree. He was making the point that how could he top a Champions League win.

By winning another one? Or winning Spurs their first league title in nearly 60 years?

I don't begrudge Poch having those feelings internally, but that's where they should have stayed.

Which other top manager goes into the biggest football game publicly saying they might leave afterwards? It was a big misstep from him (given all the talk of long-term planning and loyalty he demands from the players) and i'm sure one he regrets saying publicly.

As i say, i don't begrudge him having those feelings given what he'd seen at Spurs up to that point

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...chettino-leave-spurs-win-champions-leave-ajax

I don't think it was a lost in translation thing. The above is before the Ajax game and I believe he said similar before the final.

He tinkled off home to Barcelona after the loss because he was so tinkled we lost. He should have gone to London with the rest of the team.

Before the start of the following season, after an Audi Cup game IIRC, he was very spiky in a press conference and said "don't ask me about transfers. I'm not involved The club needs to change my title from manager to coach."

I will always love Poch but towards the end he was visibly tinkled off with things to the point that I didn't blame Levy for lining up a successor. He had justification for feeling aggrieved in my view but I think he could have conducted himself better towards the end. Which was a shame because for almost 5 years he conducted himself impeccably.

#TheLevyEffect

#TheLevyEffect

Yeah, for me, Levy will always have the most responsibility for things going wrong for Poch. I think he let Poch down badly.

But he had his reasons and time will tell if he'll be proven right. He's got the first decision after Poch badly wrong in hindsight but as someone posted a few weeks ago, you can't judge Levy by single decisions - his plan is long term and so he should be judged over an extended period of time.

Do you know that he didn't ask for a certain style of players with Tielemans being one option provided. Do you believe that Tielemans wouldn't have fitted into Pochs team?
Neither of us have a clue how it operated or the real reasons no player was signed or Poch turned players.
Why would he turn down a player that he identified and fitted his system? There is no logic to that. So yeah neither of us know what went on but I would say it's highly unlikely. Certainly not the sure thing you suggested.

Yeah, for me, Levy will always have the most responsibility for things going wrong for Poch. I think he let Poch down badly.

But he had his reasons and time will tell if he'll be proven right. He's got the first decision after Poch badly wrong in hindsight but as someone posted a few weeks ago, you can't judge Levy by single decisions - his plan is long term and so he should be judged over an extended period of time.

My judgments re Levy are certainly over an extended period of time...

I am sorry that article is not conclusive of anything. He was always a little mischievous and I think that was said in the same vein.

Why would he turn down a player that he identified and fitted his system? There is no logic to that. So yeah neither of us know what went on but I would say it's highly unlikely. Certainly not the sure thing you suggested.
I didn't say he identified a player, rather a type of player he wanted. We don't know if he identified any specific player.
I'm not saying he did or didn't, none of us know, but blaming Levy is the easy option.

I am sorry that article is not conclusive of anything. He was always a little mischievous and I think that was said in the same vein.

Fair enough. I think saying that and repeating it before the biggest game in our history was ill advised. And I don’t buy he was just kidding. Poch knows how the press operate. There is little room for nuance or context. You say stuff like that and you’re sending a message.

His press conferences the following season saw that nuance disappear and he was clearly tinkled off with the hand he’d been dealt.

I didn't say he identified a player, rather a type of player he wanted. We don't he identified any specific player.
I'm not saying he did or didn't, none of us know, but blaming Levy is the easy option.
It's not blaming Levy as such. But we were in the build stage of a stadium that was, according to people much more in the know than me, heavily over budget. Made sense that we were tightening the transfer purse strings at that time. Much more believable than he turned down a player of the quality of Tielemans if that player was identified by him as fitting his preferred system. I believe with Tielemans that Leicester probably had first dibs and exercised that option.

Fair enough. I think saying that and repeating it before the biggest game in our history was ill advised. And I don’t buy he was just kidding. Poch knows how the press operate. There is little room for nuance or context. You say stuff like that and you’re sending a message.

Poch was never really comfortable with speaking to the press in English. That's why he didn't do it at Southampton. I think for the very reason that he was not comfortable with the nuances of the language and things he said could be misconstrued. As I believed they were before the Champions League final.

It's not blaming Levy as such. But we were in the build stage of a stadium that was, according to people much more in the know than me, heavily over budget. Made sense that we were tightening the transfer purse strings at that time. Much more believable than he turned down a player of the quality of Tielemans if that player was identified by him as fitting his preferred system. I believe with Tielemans that Leicester probably had first dibs and exercised that option.
Teilemans was before he went to Leicester

And I’m not sure how we could be over budget on the stadium when the PM couldn’t give us a cost. I believe it was all done on a time and materials basis

but I do agree that all açai levels money was prioritised on the ground. It’s a longer term commitment and needed cash

Given that Nagelsmann is no longer available, I must say I am a little concerned about who Levy will appoint as manager. Totally agree with posters arguing he should appoint a DoF first then appoint a manager on their recommendation

Poch was never really comfortable with speaking to the press in English. That's why he didn't do it at Southampton. I think for the very reason that he was not comfortable with the nuances of the language and things he said could be misconstrued. As I believed they were before the Champions League final.

This was after 5 years in the job speaking English. If it was near the beginning of his tenure after joining us from Soton you might have a case, but alas can you name another occasion that Poch was similarly 'misquoted'?

He said it deliberately (and wrongly imo). And not just once, but twice.

The Champions League utterances? I think those comments were lost in translation. The problem when you are saying things in a language that you have learnt is that you do not have nuances and idioms of someone who has spoken the language for a long time in its native country. I am not aware of any utterances in pre season. But if those are reasons to sack him as @Spur of the moment claims then I think we are reaching a bit.
Well you may be right about the translation, but I'd have thought the Guardian was one of the more reliable sources for the report.

Regardless, the way things worked out the following season you hardly needed to be Sigmund Freud to divine that Poch had lost his appetite for the job. Daniel clearly came to a similar conclusion, hence the axe.

Please don't get me wrong, I felt that, until that fateful final, he'd been a fantastic manager, and was hugely disappointed when things started to go awry.

But for me Levy definitely made the right decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/07/mauricio-pochettino-leave-spurs-win-champions-leave-ajax#:~:text=“To win the Champions League,tomorrow, I go home.”

Last edited:
Back