• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

D-Day

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
Today is the anniversary of D-Day

69 years ago, remember those that gave up their lives so that we can live ours in peace

article-1191066-0539D0BF000005DC-99_964x621.jpg

d_day.gif

Glad that so many of you could be bothered to comment on what those guys did for us, about sums people up these days

Amazing that this has gone unnoticed. I don't think many realize how ugly it would've been without this...

Amazing that this has gone unnoticed. I don't think many realize how ugly it would've been without this...

Not surprised one bit..

Imagine if this generation now had to go through what the country did in the war years, to say it wouldve fallen apart is an understimated

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty GHod upon this great and noble undertaking.

-- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

I'm a huge history buff, and have always been very interested in WW2 and D-Day in particular. Such a monumental event and it's sad to hear that people have begun to forget. Next year should get some more attention though, 70 years and all.

Any of you chaps have relatives that fought there or know some interesting anecdotes that you'd like to share?

Grandad was in the Navy during WW2, never spoke about it to me and never wanted any of his children or grand children in the forces.

Either way I always like to remember those who lost there lives but also remember what those who survived went through. There was one story though my grandad once told my mum, involved an explosion below deck and waking up only to find his mate's head a foot away from him.

D-Day was one of many horrible battles but one worth fighting for, it's the only time we've been involved in a war that deserved to be in the name of freedom.

Any of you chaps have relatives that fought there or know some interesting anecdotes that you'd like to share?

Grandad got injured on the beach on D-Day, got some shrapnel in his leg, made a full recovery and was lucky, he never really said too much about the actual landings himself but I remember taking him to watch Saving Private Ryan in the cinema and during the opening scene I could see him twitching and moving about, I asked him if he was ok and he said yes son this just reminds me of a lot of bad things, he died a few years ago but was and still is my hero, I miss him an awful lot

I'm a huge history buff, and have always been very interested in WW2 and D-Day in particular. Such a monumental event and it's sad to hear that people have begun to forget. Next year should get some more attention though, 70 years and all.

Grandfather was in Egypt for most of the war, his brother my great uncle took american citizenship just before the war started and fught for them in the navy. Neither ever talked about it, that generation never did. My father was in the merchant for 8 year, i have never served my country.

I always wondered whether the D day landings were as bad as they made out in saving private ryan, saw a programme once that said that was pretty close to what happened, does not bare thinking about how you can go to a near certain death but still do it for the freedom of your country, more balls then me.

Grandad got injured on the beach on D-Day, got some shrapnel in his leg, made a full recovery and was lucky, he never really said too much about the actual landings himself but I remember taking him to watch Saving Private Ryan in the cinema and during the opening scene I could see him twitching and moving about, I asked him if he was ok and he said yes son this just reminds me of a lot of bad things, he died a few years ago but was and still is my hero, I miss him an awful lot

For the moment i will call a truce as i just posted something similar, im led to believe that was pretty accurate, which just goes to show how awful it must have been.

I think my grandfather fought at Normandy, but I don't really know the details as he died when I was much younger and my mum doesn't seem to know properly either.

But this generation have Counter Strike, Call Of Duty and Battlefield.. They're fully trained soldiers, they just don't know it yet.. 8-[

As far as I'm aware I didn't have any family members involved in the war, however, the truly brave actions of the men and women involved ensured that further down the line my family were able to emigrate and achieve success in the UK.

All those involved were fighting for the freedom of their homeland and other nations. I will never be able to put into eloquent words how much I respect these real-life superheroes.

But this generation have Counter Strike, Call Of Duty and Battlefield.. They're fully trained soldiers, they just don't know it yet.. 8-[

Actually you say that in a joking manner but that is not far from the truth. Wars in the future will be based on drones and technology. Already there is a threat (constantly growing) of cybercrimes and with the World being so dependent on technology (from ATM's to stores and supplies) the wars of the future won’t be far off.

I remember a saying years ago: "don't pick on the nerd at school because one day he'll be your boss". Looks like there's some truth in that even from a military stand point.

The days of solider vs. soldier battles on a large scale like the World Wars are gone. Nuclear threat and the avoidance of self destruction are too much a threat to risk. The only time I can see a similar war is like that of Afghanistan or The Falklands where a Western (or developed) country engages with a less developed country who oppose no real nuclear threat.

Either way history should never be forgotten. What these people did for us and the World should be taught throughout school. It's sad to think that the only recollection of the term D-Day for most youngsters today is probably from what they have learnt through video games..

My Grandfathers also never talked about the war. One was a Spitfire pilot and the other a fireman in London (He was a black cab driver but his cab was commissioned to become a fire engine). It makes me laugh when people are off sick from work with "stress", they don't know the meaning of the fudging word!

My great Uncle (Capt Keith Salter, RE) was heavily involved in the preparations... he was a geology don at Exeter University before the war, and for 18 months prior to D-Day he was involved in helping choose appropriate beaches. This meant that he and a colleague swam ashore to occupied Europe at night from an MTB or a submarine, and collected sand samples of the beaches to understand which beaches would be able to support tanks and heavy vehicles, and which sand beaches would get vehicles bogged down. Because they did not want to give the German's any hint as to the final landing site he built up an intimate knowledge of the beaches from Bordeaux to Holland! He made over 90 visits to Europe at night, and would have been shot as a 'commando' if he had been captured.

None of the family knew anything about what he did in the war as he had signed the official secrets act until 1996, once the 50 year statute was up when he gathered some of his great grandchildren/nephews/nieces together at his house one weekend and off loaded the whole story! He died a happy and contented man in 2001 at the age of 91. He wasn't really a proper soldier... he was an academic, and could have said no, but still chose to volunteer to risk his life in this way! He was never shot at, but he was disturbed on more than one occasion.

The planning (and subterfuge) that went into D-Day was amazing, and we forget too easily the people who were key to the success of the operation that did not storm the beaches on D-Day itself (although they were all brave heroes). Rest in peace and thank-you Uncle Keith!

My great Uncle (Capt Keith Salter, RE) was heavily involved in the preparations... he was a geology don at Exeter University before the war, and for 18 months prior to D-Day he was involved in helping choose appropriate beaches. This meant that he and a colleague swam ashore to occupied Europe at night from an MTB or a submarine, and collected sand samples of the beaches to understand which beaches would be able to support tanks and heavy vehicles, and which sand beaches would get vehicles bogged down. Because they did not want to give the German's any hint as to the final landing site he built up an intimate knowledge of the beaches from Bordeaux to Holland! He made over 90 visits to Europe at night, and would have been shot as a 'commando' if he had been captured.

None of the family knew anything about what he did in the war as he had signed the official secrets act until 1996, once the 50 year statute was up when he gathered some of his great grandchildren/nephews/nieces together at his house one weekend and off loaded the whole story! He died a happy and contented man in 2001 at the age of 91. He wasn't really a proper soldier... he was an academic, and could have said no, but still chose to volunteer to risk his life in this way! He was never shot at, but he was disturbed on more than one occasion.

The planning (and subterfuge) that went into D-Day was amazing, and we forget too easily the people who were key to the success of the operation that did not storm the beaches on D-Day itself (although they were all brave heroes). Rest in peace and thank-you Uncle Keith!

Absolutely amazing post sir.

As said, I think there will be more of a big deal made of the 70th anniversary for sure, I can honestly say I hadn't heard or seen anything about this but students often tend to get stuck in their own world without inside influence sometimes. Although weirdly I did stop at a WW1 memorial for a little bit yesterday, had not properly noticed it before so stopped to take it in properly. There's an example of how just because not that many people posted on here doesn't mean that no one cares anymore Marky

Back